Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Graduated Neutral Density Filter Options

I am looking to get a grad ND filter this week and was wondering if anyone knew of any good options? I keep hearing about Lee and Cokin filters but am not entirely sure what to get. Do I need a holder or can I hand hold the filter in front of the lens and adjust the horizon line that way? I plan to mostly use it on my soon to come 14mm prime.

I was told by a lady at a local camera store that a round type filter that screws onto the lens is not so good since you can't adjust the horizon.

06-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the cokin P series holder and several different graduated neutral density filters as well as several other filters. I find this system to be excellent for the price and is very easy to use. I have been very pleased by the results that I have obtained using these filters.
06-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you buy a "screw-on" type ND filter, you can't move it up or down to alter composition, With a Cokin style filter, you insert it into a holder that allows you to slide it up or down, so you can locate the graduated part where ever you want in the picture. It comes real handy when your horizon line is not centered. Just make sure you buy a holder (and filter) large enough to accommodate your largest lens.
06-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #4

Being able to position the ND transition somewhere other than dead-centre is very useful, and impossible with a screw-on filter.

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
I plan to mostly use it on my soon to come 14mm prime.
Cokin A series probably wont be big enough, and if you're up around 72 or 77mm filter size, even the P series may vignette... (Some have cut off the outer two slots, making a regular P holder into a single filter holder - it's said to work... (They also sell a low profile holder- basically the same thing)

I finally got the Cokin X-Pro series - but only because it was a dirt-cheap one off on eBay - haven't seen any since, and the grad filters are about $75 each

06-25-2008, 01:59 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks. Looks like I'll be going Cokin and I'll bring in the 14mm to the camera store once it arrives to make sure there is no vignetting and everything fits well. $75 is not bad actually as I just bought a Hoya polarizer for around $85 and there was another brand for around $200...need good glass infront of these expensive lenses.
06-25-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Thanks. Looks like I'll be going Cokin and I'll bring in the 14mm to the camera store once it arrives to make sure there is no vignetting and everything fits well. $75 is not bad actually as I just bought a Hoya polarizer for around $85 and there was another brand for around $200...need good glass infront of these expensive lenses.
If you want good glass, don't buy the Cokin resin filters. I have them (not all, but all the usefull ones): all the NDs and ND Grads, CP, etc. Everything made by Cokin with a "Neutral" on it, introduces a colour cast. Especially the polarizer is horrible and can hardly be remedied in prost-processing.

I am going to switch completely to the Lee filters, which reputedly have a better colour reproduction. But this time, I'll try just a few, before I buy the whole set again... But the Cokin P holder is surely the cheapest option, to use the matching Lee filters...

Ben