Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #46
SMC PENTAX LENSES
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Very useful! Any ideas on why the proscription against filters? Moisture build-up between the filter and the objective, perhaps?
That's the way I heard (or read) it - but like I said, it's all cultural transmission of old wives' tales. I've never read anything authoritative or scientific.

But I do it all anyway.

10-31-2015, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
it's all cultural transmission of old wives' tales

No real opportunity cost, I guess--besides, I've learned not to argue with old wives. Thanks!
10-31-2015, 02:48 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I live in a region that is generally warm with very high humidity, so I have two of these 'Legend Wonderful' dry cabinets for lenses. They aren't very big (33x33x57 cm, 50 litre internal volume), but they can fit a lot in if need be. Also useful for storing old photos.

I usually store lens mount down, but sometimes that isn't possible due to space limitations. Hoods remain only for the most used lenses, filters are never mounted, front and rear lens caps always on.

Last edited by rawr; 10-31-2015 at 02:53 PM.
10-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Does anybody know if it is OK to store old lenses in attic store room along with a small qty of mothballs (napthalene) ?
I would be concerned about heat and humidity. The main living area of the house or cellar is preferable in my opinion. I dunno about the mothballs.

Steve

10-31-2015, 03:27 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Moisture build-up between the filter and the objective, perhaps?
Yes, that and potential for corrosion at the threads.

Steve
10-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the ideas. I generally just keep them in a camera bag. When going out and about I try to pre select the needed lenses. I just put them loose in a backpack. Usually with the Pentax bag that came with it. More often than not a cargo or jacket pocket.
10-31-2015, 06:55 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I live in a region that is generally warm with very high humidity, so I have two of these 'Legend Wonderful' dry cabinets for lenses. They aren't very big (33x33x57 cm, 50 litre internal volume), but they can fit a lot in if need be. Also useful for storing old photos.

I usually store lens mount down, but sometimes that isn't possible due to space limitations. Hoods remain only for the most used lenses, filters are never mounted, front and rear lens caps always on.

In winter our indoor relative humidity is in the single digits.

The only Pentax lenses that are not in my camera bag are the 3 I am going to sell and the one that sits on a shelf, usually mounted on a film camera. The rest of yhe lenses are in camera bags ready to go shooting.
10-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
In winter our indoor relative humidity is in the single digits.
You are lucky. Winter or summer it rarely falls below 60% here. And it rains a lot. So oftentimes it will be 80% humidity indoors 24x7 for several weeks. Everything gets musty. I once had a camera bag go mouldy after just a few weeks when stored in a cupboard in my study, for example. And don't even think about hanging a leather jacket anywhere in the house that doesn't have excellent air circulation.

They do a brisk trade in dry cabinets at my local camera store.

10-31-2015, 10:32 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two of these :

But in simulated wood finish.

Lenses easily fit standing up. Film camera bodies with small primes easily fit when the camera is turned sideways. Bodies with zooms need to be stored with the lens facing up. On top of the 15 unit organizer I keep my in-use cameras in their own bags. I have my K-3 next to my PZ-1 next to my Q7. This little organizer is part of Target's Room Essentials collection or something like that. These organizing units stack on top of each other. So, beneath this organizer I have a two drawer organizer. The drawers underneath contain my tripods, film, ring light, etc.

It's pretty neat system that is low cost. However, the low cost also means it's a little flimsy. Be gentle with it and it will last for a long time. Abuse it and it will all fall apart.
11-01-2015, 12:36 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You are lucky. Winter or summer it rarely falls below 60% here. And it rains a lot. So oftentimes it will be 80% humidity indoors 24x7 for several weeks. Everything gets musty. I once had a camera bag go mouldy after just a few weeks when stored in a cupboard in my study, for example. And don't even think about hanging a leather jacket anywhere in the house that doesn't have excellent air circulation.

They do a brisk trade in dry cabinets at my local camera store.
Not here, I have a suede jacket from my motorcycle days that my wife won't throw out so it's in a room that has little air circulation in a closet that is only opened once a month, little bit of dust but no mould
11-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #56
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Does anybody know if it is OK to store old lenses in attic store room along with a small qty of mothballs (napthalene) ?
I would be afraid the lenses would absorb the odor of the mothballs, like cigarette smoke. Also possible damage to the rubber and or lens surfaces? I would rather store them in a tight container that mice, etc., could not get into.