Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 08:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How do you store your lenses

Given the serious amount of LBA there is here I wonder how everyone is storing them their lens collection. Being merely a rank amateur I have a camera bag that serves as a lens pile for now. Having caught manual prime fever with the purchase of a SonyA6000 (and coming from a Pentax beginning) I'm every so slightly obsessed with M42 and K-Mounts.

Pretty soon the OCD side of me is going to need to store them properly.

So what does everyone do - especially say, the guys that have 10 50mm lenses :-)

10-30-2015, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Pelican 1514 with dividers and a Pelican 1504 with dividers. I have silica gel packs in each case. I store 19 lenses and three bodies in these.
10-30-2015, 08:59 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

On a shelf, like a Neanderthal.
10-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
clear plastic shoeboxes, silica packs, with fitted lids...

10-30-2015, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a storage closet with plenty of space, so I'll be glad to store your lenses for you....
10-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #6

in socks... like golf clubs.
10-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

On my desk, on a shelf, in a backpack, in a sock drawer, on a body(I have many) in my everyday camera bag.

10-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
A picture is forming :-)

(Looks at socks already in camera bag)
10-30-2015, 10:07 AM - 9 Likes   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

In a dual purpose cabinet.....it protects my lenses and the etched glass keeps me from making a mistake and switching brands.

Regards!
10-30-2015, 10:16 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a small chest of drawers next to my bed. The drawers are lined with a rubber mat normally used to line a mechanic's rolling toolbox (picture the red Craftsman box at your auto mechanic). Drawer one is lenses arranged by focal length. Drawer two is bodies, most of which are film bodies and accessories. Drawer three is paper (manuals) and other stuff in Ziplock bags.

The rubber mesh mat keeps things from moving around - I don't have dividers*. I threw a bunch of dessicant packs in each drawer

I sold all my camera bags except a sling bag and a Domke F5. Usually the K-3 or MZ-S and the 3 FA Limiteds are in the F-5 on top of the chest.

* EDIT: I forgot I did throw a couple dividers in - around the K200/2.5. There's at least one round foam divider that came in a grab bag I bought on eBay 15 years ago. I also cut up an old mouse pad and dropped a couple squares in. They were formerly between lenses when I stacked them in the Domke F2.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 

Last edited by monochrome; 10-31-2015 at 08:00 AM.
10-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
In a dual purpose cabinet.....it protects my lenses and the etched glass keeps me from making a mistake and switching brands.
I like that setup.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a small chest of drawers next to my bed. The drawers are lined with a rubber mat normally used to line a mechanic's rolling toolbox (picture the red Craftsman box at your auto mechanic). Drawer one is lenses arranged by focal length. Drawer two is bodies, most of which are film bodies and accessories. Drawer three is paper (manuals) and other stuff in Ziplock bags.

The rubber mesh mat keeps things from moving around - I don't have dividers. I threw a bunch of dessicant packs in each drawer

I sold all my camera bags except a sling bag and a Domke F5. Usually the K-3 or MZ-S and the 3 FA Limiteds are in the F-5 on top of the chest.
I've got the same setup... with two lenses in it (and another four lenses in my camera bag with my K-50).
10-30-2015, 11:09 AM - 3 Likes   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am an unmarried guy, meaning that my lenses are wherever I last set them down. The experience is similar to that of a squirrel hiding nuts. Every once in a while I will come across a lens and it is like I am seeing it for the first time.

Steve

(...not true...mostly...My lenses are on a shelf in a closet...)
10-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #13

I live in a high humidity area so I place each individual lens into a zip lock bag w/a silica gel pack. I then store the lenses in a plastic storage box.
10-30-2015, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am an unmarried guy, meaning that my lenses are wherever I last set them down. The experience is similar to that of a squirrel hiding nuts. Every once in a while I will come across a lens and it is like I am seeing it for the first time.

Steve

(...not true...mostly...My lenses are on a shelf in a closet...)
I found a lens in my coat pocket yesterday...
10-30-2015, 12:15 PM   #15

When not in use stored on a shelf. Bigger question is where did I store the stuff I can't find?