Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2015, 12:32 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
In a dual purpose cabinet.....it protects my lenses and the etched glass keeps me from making a mistake and switching brands.

Regards!
That's totally epic

10-30-2015, 12:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I put my lenses in individual lens cases with a silica gel pack then store them in blue 32 Liter size Really useful box (the containers name) plastic containers. I have them stacked in the corner of my bedroom.
10-30-2015, 12:55 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep the current lens I'm using in my camera bag, other lens in a drawer. Most of my limited lens & other about the same size I use those foam soft drink can covers to carry the lens in. The foam covers are cheap and offer more protection that the leather pouches that Pentax uses. The only two Pentax lens I have that won't fit in a foam cover is the 20-40mm and the 18-135mm. My Tammy 70-200 stays in it's provided storage pouch.
10-30-2015, 12:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
On a shelf where there is ventilation (and I can find them). I live in a lower humidity area. However it is a great question where should I store my lenses which have the same value as a new small car?

10-30-2015, 01:09 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Two ways. I have two Domke F2 original camera bags . One is black, the other olive green. The black one has my K-5 body with a lens attached , about four additional lenses and a 360 flash.

The olive green Domke contains my Km and K10D bodies.....both with a lens attached. I also stuff another couple of lenses in the green bag.

I keep specific equipment in the black F2 and specific equipment in the green F2. That way it's colour coded and I can grab a particular bag, knowing what I have in it. My camera batteries are always charged with extras for each body.

I always wrap my camera bodies in a soft cotton handkerchief.Along with extra SD cards and batteries. I stuff a bunch of other photographic stuff in the Domke's too.

I then uses soft sponges to pad any gaps in the storage for bodies, lenses and flash. I use a product called Frank's Sponges, which I get from Canadian Tire stores. The sponges keep everything tight and also have some absorbent qualities for slight knocks and absorbing vibration.

As the advertising on late night TV says...wait there's more.

For the rest of my lenses I have a very large Lowepro. It never leaves my house and contains the other lenses. It has 9 padded spaces that fit lenses quite well.

I store these three bags on a robust . low shelving unit. The shelving has it's own dedicated cupboard.

Years of experience had led me to the Domke F2 original bags. I feel they're better, due to ease of use, storage capability, fast access and rugged construction compared to all other bags I've used and I've had a lot ...in almost 50 years of photography.

I have a small Pelican and an older aluminum suitcase style. These are also very good. If I was carrying equipment for a lot of outdoor photography and expected that it could suffer some 'shipping and handling' abuse, I would take a serious look at Pelican.

Also I have a Caon G 12, with a Canon 430 EX ll flash and flash stand...I keep this in a small LowePro slingshot bag. Extra cards, extra batteries, etc....also in the bag.

---------- Post added 10-30-15 at 03:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
I keep the current lens I'm using in my camera bag, other lens in a drawer. Most of my limited lens & other about the same size I use those foam soft drink can covers to carry the lens in. The foam covers are cheap and offer more protection that the leather pouches that Pentax uses. The only two Pentax lens I have that won't fit in a foam cover is the 20-40mm and the 18-135mm. My Tammy 70-200 stays in it's provided storage pouch.
Great idea. Soft foam soft drink can covers. I'm going to get me some. Thank you.
10-30-2015, 01:29 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Like this:
10-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
MT11i  Photo 
10-30-2015, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I have a small chest of drawers next to my bed. The drawers are lined with a rubber mat normally used to line a mechanic's rolling toolbox (picture the red Craftsman box at your auto mechanic). Drawer one is lenses arranged by focal length. Drawer two is bodies, most of which are film bodies and accessories. Drawer three is paper (manuals) and other stuff in Ziplock bags.

The rubber mesh mat keeps things from moving around - I don't have dividers. I threw a bunch of dessicant packs in each drawer

I sold all my camera bags except a sling bag and a Domke F5. Usually the K-3 or MZ-S and the 3 FA Limiteds are in the F-5 on top of the chest.
Bodies drawer.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
10-30-2015, 01:43 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use this, shamelessly: Milwaukee 10-Compartment Deep Pro Organizer, Red-225046 - The Home Depot. I put the lenses in their pouches first, and for those that didn't come with pouches, I bought some polypropylene ones from B&H. This is great for small/medium lenses, and they fit snug and nice without rattling around. Throw a few silica gel packets in it and, along with the sealing in the $20 box itself, you are good to go for storage or driving around.
10-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #25
Pentaxian

A month ago, I had everything in a cupboard. Right now, I've managed to fit 19 of 21 lenses into a Lowepro Magnum shoulder bag, thanks to OpTech double rear lens caps. The two largest lenses are in their own cases and are attached to the outside of the bag. The cameras are willy-nilly all over the place right now. I'm interested to see how you guys manage your storage, particularly those that are attempting to keep their equipment humidity-controlled, since I'll probably be interested in setting up something like that once we move.

Anyone using these?
10-30-2015, 02:31 PM - 4 Likes   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Bodies drawer.
I was expecting something more similar to this:

10-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
That is impressive...does it double as a food dryer?

Steve
10-30-2015, 02:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is impressive...does it double as a food dryer?Steve
Secador autodesiccator. £50 off eBay a few years back. Brand new. Sells for £1,000+. Had to pick it up from a very dodgy computer recycler at the back of a farm in the middle of nowhere though ...
10-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #29
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

nice!
10-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
Like this:
Not a bad collection.
Bodies drawer.