Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*50-135 owners show them they are wrong!

I hear a lot about how slow the *50-135 is at focusing (this includes myself) I wanted to start a thread with proof that you can capture some fast action with that lens!
I am going to start so please join me
K3, *50-135 2.8, around 1/640 of a second 3200 ISO f4-4.5

Attached Images

Last edited by slip; 11-01-2015 at 12:34 PM.
11-01-2015, 12:15 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

All taken with the 50-135:

11-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fantastic shots, @slip! Looking at those young women falling on their knees like that makes my knees ache!
11-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is not a sequence of the same aircraft taking off, although the pictures are outstanding.

11-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
This is not a sequence of the same aircraft taking off, although the pictures are outstanding.
Yeah, I realized that and changed my post. It was a group of F-16's taking off in sequence and not the same aircraft. Good catch!
11-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Fabulous!
11-01-2015, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
bxf
Veteran Member

Hmmmph, none of these images have any significance. All you are showing is that you are able to override some possible technical deficiency using skill

11-01-2015, 02:41 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Volleyball and fighter jets...reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...
11-01-2015, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

While the shots in this thread are certainly great, sports images can be taken with any lens, including manual focus. Single images do not say anything about a lens' suitability for action photography. One can simply use catch-in focus or prefocus on a certain area and wait until action happens there.

The difference between a good sports lens and a bad one is how fast the AF works, and thus how many shots you get in focus of the action you actually want shots of, and how many you lose because the AF wasn't fast enough.

A bad sports lens (at least AF wise) will produce some sharp shots in capable hands, a good sports lens will produce a large amount of sharp shots no matter how fast paced and unpredictable the action is.

So if you want to prove a lens is good for sports, set the camera to medium or fast continuous shooting and show all images of a sequence of at least one second that involves subjects that have at least some movement on the z-axis (towards or away from the camera). And of course you need to take into account the camera's AF module.
11-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
All taken with the 50-135:

These shots are awesome!

Randy

---------- Post added 11-01-15 at 06:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
While the shots in this thread are certainly great, sports images can be taken with any lens, including manual focus. Single images do not say anything about a lens' suitability for action photography. One can simply use catch-in focus or prefocus on a certain area and wait until action happens there.

The difference between a good sports lens and a bad one is how fast the AF works, and thus how many shots you get in focus of the action you actually want shots of, and how many you lose because the AF wasn't fast enough.

A bad sports lens (at least AF wise) will produce some sharp shots in capable hands, a good sports lens will produce a large amount of sharp shots no matter how fast paced and unpredictable the action is.

So if you want to prove a lens is good for sports, set the camera to medium or fast continuous shooting and show all images of a sequence of at least one second that involves subjects that have at least some movement on the z-axis (towards or away from the camera). And of course you need to take into account the camera's AF module.
None of these shots are from prefocusing, spry and pray. It would be next to impossible to hold the camera in one spot and hope the action comes inside your view finder. The action has to be followed at all time and you need a lot of practice...timing is everything

Thanks

Randy
11-01-2015, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #11
Brooke Meyer

Time stamp metadata is 10:06:53 to 10:06:54. I've no idea if I was on burst mode or not, I very rarely use it, even for dance. Uncropped except for straightening my tilted hand holding.
I did zoom back from 75 to 50mm as dog got closer. Shooting from the sidelines, hard to know where disc and dog is going. The dogs are moving.

11-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great demo, Brooke.
11-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no experience with this lens so no comment on its capability but my son played ds in club ball about 15 years ago when the position was relatively new. So regarding something with which I do have experience, I offer compliments on giving as much attention to the libero as to the hitters.
11-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Time stamp metadata is 10:06:53 to 10:06:54. I've no idea if I was on burst mode or not, I very rarely use it, even for dance. Uncropped except for straightening my tilted hand holding.
I did zoom back from 75 to 50mm as dog got closer. Shooting from the sidelines, hard to know where disc and dog is going. The dogs are moving.
Awesome shots!
11-02-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Volleyball and fighter jets...reminds me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...
Highway to the Danger Zone...
Attached Images