Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2015, 10:55 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

This was a concern for me as well when I first purchased my 31 as it has a little give. Thought about returning it to B&H during the first month but decided against it. I've never had a problem and I consider it a great lens.

11-03-2015, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
This was a concern for me as well when I first purchased my 31 as it has a little give. Thought about returning it to B&H during the first month but decided against it. I've never had a problem and I consider it a great lens.
Yep. I have had mine for three years and I would only consider trading it if a mint MIJ silver copy came up to match my other Two Amigos. For now, it does everything I could possibly want except look purrrrty.
11-03-2015, 07:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

There is the slightest movement in mine if you grip the front securely and try to move it. I'm guessing that what you are feeling is the slight gap between the lens helicoids. You can feel it with other lenses too, but it's easier to reproduce with the longer FA31 vs. the DA21 which I happen to have on my desk.
11-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #19

Mine is AIV and has a slight wobble, but no effect on image quality. There was a very similar thread about 6 months ago, I would guess, and the responses were the same. Common problem unfortunately.

11-03-2015, 08:29 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Squirrel Quote
Mine is AIV and has a slight wobble, but no effect on image quality. There was a very similar thread about 6 months ago, I would guess, and the responses were the same. Common problem unfortunately.
Thanks. I think my mind is more at ease with all of the superb photographers that use this lens telling me that theirs is similar. Thanks to all.
11-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Just the minutest amount of play with my MIJ copy, but quite a bit of force must be applied before that happens.
11-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine is AIV, argentine. No wobble or play. As tight as it can be. But yet, for manual focusing the 77 seems a lot easier.

11-04-2015, 12:39 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I remember (but can't find) a description of the FA31's complicated construction, which makes the wobble more likely. The other FA Limiteds have a more conventional build. One forum member was fairly critical of this wobble and construction. I can't find him either so maybe he moved on to something perfect.
11-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I remember (but can't find) a description of the FA31's complicated construction, which makes the wobble more likely. The other FA Limiteds have a more conventional build. One forum member was fairly critical of this wobble and construction. I can't find him either so maybe he moved on to something perfect.
Now I'm intrigued - I would love to know more. Anyone?
11-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Probably only the engineers know the true story, if there is one. I'm very happy with my 31. It's not perfect, but it's damn good for a film era lens.
11-04-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This diagram isn't easy to understand but does point out the parts he was complaining about.

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/fa31.pdf
11-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I remember (but can't find) a description of the FA31's complicated construction, which makes the wobble more likely. The other FA Limiteds have a more conventional build.
you're suggesting that there are FA31s that have different construction from the others? and that there is probably no way of knowing short of stripping the lens down to find out which is which?
11-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you're suggesting that there are FA31s that have different construction from the others? and that there is probably no way of knowing short of stripping the lens down to find out which is which?
I read this as tolerance differences in the 31's could result from n wobble and other FA limiters 77 and 43 have different designs that don't have this complex of a construction.
11-04-2015, 06:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

My 31 have a small woble on the lens group if i shake gently the lens a small "tick" sond can be heard, and if i put my finger on the lens where the mount is i can move the lens group (maybe 1mm or less, but you can feel it move) but regard at cosntruccion of the exterior is very solid, my copy is AIV
11-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #30
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
and if i put my finger on the lens
Just how many FA31 lenses now have fingerprints all over them or were destroyed completely by overzealous readers trying to reproduce this mystical "wobble"?