Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2008, 09:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Dirt/Fungus Inside lens, anyway to clean/fix?

Is there any way to clean/fix a lens that has internal fungus?

I guess that's what it is, it sure looks dirty inside two lens I just bought sight-unseen.

06-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are they?

If they're Pentax manual focus Prime lenses then the job isn't usually all that bad. I recently took one apart and cleaned it up in around an hour.

If it's a Zoom or a auto focus lens you'll probably want to send it in
06-24-2008, 10:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One is a regular ole Pentax-A 50mm f/2, I'm not that worried about that one, the other is a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, that's the one I want to fix!

Is there a guide online somewhere?

Where would one "send it in"? $$$?
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is what I went by.

I really can't see there being all that much difference between the 50mm f1.4 screwmount I just repaired and your Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4.
You don't have to touch the bottom housing, so there shouldn't be an chance of messing up the linkage or contacts.

06-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I noticed haze on 1/2 of a bonded lens inside my Pentax-M 50mm 1.4. Ended up taking it apart but the haze was between the 2 pieces of glass and no way to clean it. It didn't affect the image all that much I don't believe.

Sadly, and honestly I thought I knew how it all came apart, for the life of me I can't figure out how to connect the focus ring back to the body. I'm 3/4 way through and stuck.

I ended up buying a FA50mm 1.4 that I picked up yesterday, which I was going to get regardless for low light concert shooting and the need for AF.

If you want you could mail it to me, I'd take pictures during the whole process, clean it for you and mail it back. You'd have a clean lens and I'd figure out how to fix mine!
06-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would consider contacting Eric, referenced in the post below. His reputation for price and quality of work seems highly regarded.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/30481-pricing-change-eric.html
06-25-2008, 08:19 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think I will tackle the f/2, if I'm comfortable with the results, I'll fix the f/1.4, otherwise, I will let eric fix it. I have contacted him for a estimate. If it the price is right, I will just let him fix it anyway.
06-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I had good results cleaning the fungus out of my Super Takumar 85mm f1.9. The most difficult part of the procedure was figuring out how to remove the trim ring (with the name on it). After that it's all screws and pretty simple really. The fungus in my case cleaned off easily with a 50-50 mix of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide applied very carefully to the infected areas. It literally dissolves before your eyes. Then I cleaned with Eclipse fluid and put it back together. Can't even tell there was fungus in there at one time now, it came out perfect! I also re-greased the moving parts with some silicon lube which seems to work well too.

04-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Fantastic!
04-21-2009, 04:27 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I salute you folks--I'd never attempt it.
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I salute you folks--I'd never attempt it.
I started with a lens where there was nothing to lose. With some guidelines about what parts to take off first, it's not too difficult. The parts are sometimes small but they had to go together somehow. The older primes are jewel-like inside.

Zooms add a considerable element of difficulty, and the electrical contacts on a variable aperture KA zoom can be a disaster.
04-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #12
Forum Member

Not sure this has been metioned on this forum before but I've read somewhere on the net and have used a rubber table leg cap the same diameter as the front plastic ring to remove it from the lens. I'll try and post a photo of it soon. Works heaps better than a eraser.
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Forum Member

sorry this took me a while to get around to posting. It came up in another thread which reminded me. I got this from a shop that sells allsorts of rubber things. Although you should be able go get them at a Hardware store. It is a rubber pipe cap.

They come in various sizes so it should be easy to get one to match your lens.

Before I got this I had tried to use a pencil eraser but the ring just wouldn't budge. With this I was easily able to unscrew the front ring.

Last edited by mikengstrom; 05-15-2009 at 08:08 PM.