F 100 f2.8 macro
DA 200 f2.8 / should work
FA 300 f4.5

Just need something really wide...

11-06-2015, 01:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I spent October testing all of my lenses on film, using a PZ-1 so I could control the aperture of DA lenses. No brick wall or sky shots, but in a variety of real-world circumstances. Images can be seen HERE.
This is a summary:

DA10-17 - fully compatible from about 14mm upwards. Below that the built in hood gets in the way, so it is difficult to make an assessment of the image circle.
DA15, DA21, DA*16-50, DA*50-15 - forget about it.
DA35 macro - fine at close focal distances, but heavy vignette at longer range.
DA*55 and DA*300 - no problem. Obviously that also applies to my A, FA and DFA lenses.

I didn't get around to seeing what the 1.4x teleconverter does to the incompatible lenses - that is a test for another day.
11-06-2015, 04:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I didn't get around to seeing what the 1.4x teleconverter does to the incompatible lenses - that is a test for another day.
Eh, I doubt putting the 1.4x on a 21mm ltd makes sense, even if it decreases FF vignetting. Nice test, though. Its good that many different people tested their lenses on a variety of cameras and in different scenarios
11-06-2015, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Eh, I doubt putting the 1.4x on a 21mm ltd makes sense, even if it decreases FF vignetting.
It might shock you, but I don't care whether something I might do in the future makes sense to you or not.

11-06-2015, 05:24 AM   #20
Pentaxian

It might shock you, but I don't care whether something I might do in the future makes sense to you or not.
Why that response? Your post makes it seem like you are looking for a conflict. It might shock you, but I really don't in any way care about what you do or write. I was writing about the general case: it would make more sense to buy a 30mm lens than combining a 21mm with a TC - would get better IQ, brighter aperture, and would even save money in many cases. What you do or don't do, whether you do or don't care about my words.. its baffling why you would even interpret that post of mine as me trying to somehow affect your thoughts or behaviour. And after this I will no longer respond to you, so don't bother replying
Oh, just one more thing, I think we had a thread about someone trying some UWA lenses with TC before. In one case there was a problem with rear element touching the TC glass, though it might not have been the official Pentax TC.
11-06-2015, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Why that response? Your post makes it seem like you are looking for a conflict. It might shock you, but I really don't in any way care about what you do or write. I was writing about the general case: it would make more sense to buy a 30mm lens than combining a 21mm with a TC - would get better IQ, brighter aperture, and would even save money in many cases. What you do or don't do, whether you do or don't care about my words.. its baffling why you would even interpret that post of mine as me trying to somehow affect your thoughts or behaviour. And after this I will no longer respond to you, so don't bother replying
Oh, just one more thing, I think we had a thread about someone trying some UWA lenses with TC before. In one case there was a problem with rear element touching the TC glass, though it might not have been the official Pentax TC.
I am quite aware of all that. As it happens I have a FA31, so putting a DA21 on the teleconverter would only be something I would consider for the benefit of others. If you don't understand why that could potentially be of some interest to some members of the Pentax community then I am sorry.

Maybe I misread your "body language", but that is always a risk with international forums where non-verbal or non-first language communication can easily be misconstrued.
I offer my findings in good faith. What I learned from them suggested that more testing might be of interest to some.

I am not looking for conflict, just resolution.
11-06-2015, 06:06 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The question is rather, what are you looking for? .
The question was a general one out of interest. I am not looking for anything at the moment. However, if / when I do I would take the above responses into serious consideration, to maintain flexibility, just in case I eventually go FF.
11-06-2015, 09:10 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The FA lenses have the best functionality/compatibility across ALL Pentax K-mount cameras ever made so far, but some are gems while others are just absolute dogs. Since I found this site, I've only bought one definitely DA lens - the 18-135 - and I bought that for its WR. Everything else has been film-era, but that's as much because I've been getting heavily into film since May and I badly need the backward compatibility (including aperture rings). This has had the pleasant side effect of covering my FF needs when it comes to digital, especially now that the FF DSLR camera has physical existence and looks like something I'd be excited to buy and use.

DA35 macro - fine at close focal distances, but heavy vignette at longer range.
Ouch! I tested mine at short distance and it was fine, but now that you say that I'll have to bring the P3 to work or the lens home one day and take a couple of shots with it to finish off the roll. Heaven knows what aperture it will select, but we shall see one way or the other...

11-06-2015, 03:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'll have to bring the P3 to work or the lens home one day and take a couple of shots with it to finish off the roll. Heaven knows what aperture it will select, but we shall see one way or the other...
When I tried making test shots with my LX, all the DA lenses were dramatically underexposed, so I assume the aperture was much smaller than I anticipated.
It was the only reason I bought a PZ-1, which works beautifully with DA lenses, and is actually a very nice camera
11-06-2015, 04:21 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
The question was a general one out of interest. I am not looking for anything at the moment. However, if / when I do I would take the above responses into serious consideration, to maintain flexibility, just in case I eventually go FF.

MHO is that there is not harm to start moving in that direction by getting some F/FA lenses that you can find at good prices.
Avoid most of the ultra wides though.

I started a Pentax Lenses on FF thread here just to let people know that the lenses usually work very well.
(got really sick of the 'ship jumpers and everyone left is a sucker' argumentative threads and 'theory of Pentax lenses on FF" )
A joy to use in fact given the smaller size of most Pentax lenses wrt the competitors.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/247282-pentax-lenses-ff-club.html

Here is another thread off forums (because it also talks about other brand lenses) .
I have left more user impressions about each lens here.
It also serves the purpose of giving Pentax lenses more exposure on a non-Pentax only forum.
[pinholecam] A week with ...... (random ramblings of a lens junkie) - 2015

Last edited by pinholecam; 11-06-2015 at 04:28 PM.
11-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I tried making test shots with my LX, all the DA lenses were dramatically underexposed, so I assume the aperture was much smaller than I anticipated.
It was the only reason I bought a PZ-1, which works beautifully with DA lenses, and is actually a very nice camera
My expectation is that it uses the smallest f stop but that could be wrong.
11-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The P3 has a program mode which will work DA lenses appropriately, and defaults to it when I mount my DA40 or DA50. Nice of it to do that, but I don't have the graph of the aperture/shutter speed selection algorithm memorised so I don't know what it's going to do from shot to shot (it does display shutter speed IIRC but knowing what the aperture is would be pure guesswork). I would consider a super-program, but I have more than enough film bodies right now and enough manual focus and/or aperture ring-bearing lenses to put on all of them.