Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What does Limited mean?

I keep seeing alot about the Pentax SMCP-FA 77mm and was wondering what they mean by limited? Is it limited production?

Also, will these come down in price anytime soon?

I can afford one, but didn't know if I should grab one now or wait.

02-08-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I believe when the 43mm ltd came out they used it more or less to test the waters - they could say it was a limited production run if it didn't pan out.

Turns out they have been hugely successful. They are still limited production runs with tighter tolerances, more QA, better materials, etc. When you see a "limited" tag on a Pentax lens, you are getting a quality piece of glass.

Prices are not likely to come down anytime soon from what I understand. if you want one, I'd get it now
02-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA limiteds are expensive, yet they are built better and deliver better IQ than most standard FA lenses.

As for the DA limiteds- that's a class of its own. The current limiteds focus on compact build and sleek design, and they produce great photos while they're at it.

They aren't out of production yet, but I still think you should go for the FA77 now, since its price will start rising when Pentax stops making it.

IMO, these two series were released by Pentax to fill in the gap between FA* lenses and the upcoming DA* lenses

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi eecutech, You might be interested in this article by Mike Johnson, a noted professional photographer and writer.
sm-02-05-02

NaCl(not to feed you LBA or anything but I think you'll want a FA 77 limited after reading it)H2O

02-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, now I know. I am thinking about getting the 77 limited, but waiting until my wife settles down about my other purchases!
02-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

$$$$$$$ - just kiding ... not really.
02-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xecutech Quote
Thanks, now I know. I am thinking about getting the 77 limited, but waiting until my wife settles down about my other purchases!
I debated about an FA 77 and a DA 70 for a while, but finally got the 70 to go with my other two "pancakes" - primarily owing to its size.

I see you're in Nashville. I did grad school at Vandy in the early '70's, and I've never enjoyed living anywhere as much as I enjoyed Nashville.

Jerry
02-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
Well Sailor, your always welcome to come back!