Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Clicking sound from the lens - loose parts?

Hi,

I recently got an Auto Revuenon 135/2.8 lens, which is in very good condition and works fine with my K200D, but off-camera it makes a clicking noise when turned in hand from side to side. When peering inside, it looks like there is some lever inside the lens moving loosely. The aperture and focus rings work just fine. I have not much experience with older lenses, so could someone tell me if this kind of clicking is normal or not.

The lens makes another kind of sound too, under/around the bayonet is a ring of ball bearings, and it looks like two or three balls are missing - due to the small gap the balls move freely and make a whirring sound when turned around.

Do you think I have a faulty lens, or do I worry for nothing?

Thanks,
Sami

06-25-2008, 06:20 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lockheed Quote
Hi,

I recently got an Auto Revuenon 135/2.8 lens, which is in very good condition and works fine with my K200D, but off-camera it makes a clicking noise when turned in hand from side to side. When peering inside, it looks like there is some lever inside the lens moving loosely. The aperture and focus rings work just fine. I have not much experience with older lenses, so could someone tell me if this kind of clicking is normal or not.

The lens makes another kind of sound too, under/around the bayonet is a ring of ball bearings, and it looks like two or three balls are missing - due to the small gap the balls move freely and make a whirring sound when turned around.

Do you think I have a faulty lens, or do I worry for nothing?

Thanks,
Sami
If it works, use it. A lot of the older inexpensive lenses (yours is one) made use of generous amounts of play in the mechanicals to keep them from jamming up. What you are describing sounds perfectly normal.
06-25-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok, no problems then.
06-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That reminds me. The Vivitar 135mm 2.8 is about due for retirement. Gotta hunt down a replacement some time in the next month or two.