Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2008, 04:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
77mm Diopters..

I feel another trip to the Atlanta Aquarium in my future, and not too distant at that. So I am thinking that I may be able to save some pennies by opting to put a diopter in front of my DA*200 instead of buying a FA*200mm Macro or even the Sigma 180mm Macro. The problem is finding a reputable manufacturer's product anywhere. I see that Hoya makes a +10 Macro, but I cannot find it for the life of me. There are many cheapo $30 kits out there but I am leary of them for the sake of IQ. Anyone have any recommendations for me?

06-25-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How close do you wnat to get?

Keep in mind that a +1- diopter will reduce the maximum focusing fistance to 10 cm. This is awfully close.

While I know this is in the opposite direction, why not extension tubes? it will put you into manual focus, but it might be a better approach.
06-25-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I want the closeness, I want to be as close to the glass as I can get so that less light interference and reflection as possible, and I am going to want AF cuz the fish are not going to be standing still for me either. I guess for $30 I can't go wrong to find out just how much the el'cheapos suck. I may end up getting lucky I spose.
06-25-2008, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

let me know how the results turn out. I am looking for something slightly different. 0.1 and 0.25 dipoter 77mm to reduce the close focus distance of my 400mm F5.6 from the present 22 feet down to something closer.

Not looking for macro just that I can get closer than the lens allows.

06-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Keep in mind that a +1- diopter will reduce the maximum focusing fistance to 10 cm. This is awfully close.

While I know this is in the opposite direction, why not extension tubes? it will put you into manual focus, but it might be a better approach.
Perhaps I read your first post wrong. A +1 diopter will do what to the minimum focussing distance. Right now the DA*200 can get 1.2 meters close. Putting a diopter on the lens will make that number bigger or smaller?
06-25-2008, 07:02 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why waste a day with a poor IQ single element diopter? I can't stand the idea of using the Canon Close-Up Lens any more than you can, but I GUARANTEE that the 77mm 500D will work WAY better than the el cheapos. And as deep as you are into pro glass, why even consider "marginal" accessories to use on them?
Trust me (famous last words), one phone call or email to B&H, about $150 plus UPS blue and you'll be shooting Macro with both your 200 and 300 lenses this weekend. If you don't like it or for some reason it doesn't work with the optical formula of your lenses, then return it next week and you are only out the shipping.

It seems that I recall you pointing out that you can't accept the IQ loss from the teleconverters you've tried. Single element diopters are even worse. Just like your lens collection--go pro or go home!
06-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Perhaps I read your first post wrong. A +1 diopter will do what to the minimum focussing distance. Right now the DA*200 can get 1.2 meters close. Putting a diopter on the lens will make that number bigger or smaller?
the maximum focusing distance (lens at infinity) is equal to the focal length of the close up lens.

1 diopter is 1 meter 2 diopters is .5 meters or 500mm. (i.e. focla length is 1/diopter)

that is why I was surprised to see yoou looking for a 10 diopter lens. that has a focal length of 100mm and at 77mm woud look like a coke bottle.

a 1 diopter will change the focusing range from the present
- infinity maximum-1.2meters minimum to
- 1meter maximum -540mm minimum

06-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Why waste a day with a poor IQ single element diopter? I can't stand the idea of using the Canon Close-Up Lens any more than you can, but I GUARANTEE that the 77mm 500D will work WAY better than the el cheapos. And as deep as you are into pro glass, why even consider "marginal" accessories to use on them?
Trust me (famous last words), one phone call or email to B&H, about $150 plus UPS blue and you'll be shooting Macro with both your 200 and 300 lenses this weekend. If you don't like it or for some reason it doesn't work with the optical formula of your lenses, then return it next week and you are only out the shipping.

It seems that I recall you pointing out that you can't accept the IQ loss from the teleconverters you've tried. Single element diopters are even worse. Just like your lens collection--go pro or go home!
Thanks Ron, I do remember seeing some good things written about the Canon 500D, and I have already scoped it out on B&H as you eluded that I should. May get me an IR filter while I am at it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the maximum focusing distance (lens at infinity) is equal to the focal length of the close up lens.

1 diopter is 1 meter 2 diopters is .5 meters or 500mm. (i.e. focla length is 1/diopter)

that is why I was surprised to see yoou looking for a 10 diopter lens. that has a focal length of 100mm and at 77mm woud look like a coke bottle.

a 1 diopter will change the focusing range from the present
- infinity maximum-1.2meters minimum to
- 1meter maximum -540mm minimum
So if I get the Canon 500D, which I am assuming is a +5, I should be right where I wanna be, right up on that glass window

Man, I have to buy something Canon.
06-25-2008, 09:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

can you not get AF extension tubes?
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM   #10

While I have never personally tried the 500D, I have seen some exceptional results with it. I would love to see how it works on the 200mm, might just have to buy one...
06-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kbrabble Quote
While I have never personally tried the 500D, I have seen some exceptional results with it. I would love to see how it works on the 200mm, might just have to buy one...
I agree but 74 to 89 bucks is something of a gamble considering I have never really been happy with some attempts with Hoya stuff that I've tried in the past.
06-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I agree but 74 to 89 bucks is something of a gamble considering I have never really been happy with some attempts with Hoya stuff that I've tried in the past.
Well Hoya makes Pro1D +3 diopter for a cool $245 in 77mm. I am quick to rule out the cheapies even though I have gotten good results in the past with the kit lens back when I first started, but I am also quick to rule out the $245 option as well. Especially since I cannot find any images taken with that piece of kit. I think I will go the route of the Canon 500D for now.

Damn you Pentax for making me buy Canon gear!
06-25-2008, 02:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the Canon 500D or a good diopter is the reasonable route with a lot of convenience for those occasional use of macro shot. While the extension tubes are better in optical quality, there is the cumbersome work in fitting in the tubes in between the lens and the body. And the diopter mounts like a filter allows the AF and metering to stay on which is the nicest thing.

I used the Cosina 1:1 matched macro adapter and put it on my FA 50 f/1.4 while visiting Monterey Bay Aquarium. With the adapter mounted, I was literally next to the glass and when the jelly fish closes in, I was able to get a better close up

With FA 50 f/1.4 + adapter

With FA 50 f/1.4 + adapter
Motion blur unfortunately in slow shutter

With Tokina 19-35 f/3.5-4.5, without adapter

Not great samples from me but I manage to use my fast 50 to get close to the jelly fish in the dark aquarium.

Hin