Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
I understand this is a difficult topic for members of this site, but I'm picking up some new gear and must sell some of what I have to cover the costs.

I have all these focal lengths covered by other lenses, so I only want to keep the two best amigos, for best reasons.

I have all 3 amigos and need to let one go. Below are my thoughts but I seek your input and advise too.

1) My 77 must stay. Even though I also have the 50 - 135, this lens is small, fast, and relatively long focal length. Too much pixie dust involved.
2) My 31 is larger, has more wear on the body, but I use this focal length often, as my fast in-door lens. I also have the limited 20-40, so this focal length as well as the 43 are covered with a nice lens, albeit slower).
3) My 43 is smaller, easy to carry, in excellent shape, but is probably my least used of the 3 amigos. I'm not sure why, but I find myself usually going wider or longer. Right now, I'm leaning towards selling this one...

If you had to thin your herd, which amigo would you sell?
I have all three. It would be a tough decision to let one of them go. Oddly enough the 43 has been my go to lens for a lot of studio product photography work.

Assuming that 43 would sell as a used lens in the $350 range, do you really need that money to make your purchase possible?

11-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drypenn Quote
A different answer: Sell your camera body and put the hobby into a backburner for the meantime. Camera bodies depreciates quickly, especially after a model release. Although, it's a buyers' market nowadays, the prices of lenses can fluctuate wildly in a spur.

When budget loosens up a bit, get a more updated body, probably an FF, and the glasses will be there, so you can easily pick up where you left off. There's no telling whether you'll be getting glasses of similar IQ or quirkiness when you sell now and buy (again in the future.) Glasses are like friends, they're almost all alike, while being entirely different.
I like this idea! Sell your camera body, maybe pick up an old one (K10? K100? *ist ds?) and use the difference toward whatever.
11-13-2015, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #33
Forum Member

Do not sell any of the 3 Amigos keep them all the 31mm is great indoors the 43 is an excellent lens for general walk about, and the 77 is a great studio lens, That's if you are using them at their designed focal length, I used all three on mz-s/mz3, not the same on APS-C digital, well soon we will all have the chance to use them as designed, get rid of the 20-40 after FF hits APS-C will be history in about three years I bet.
11-13-2015, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
get rid of the 20-40 after FF hits APS-C will be history in about three years I bet.
You might have a point, at least as far as landscape to portrait angles of view go. APS-C will continue to have a role for the long end though.

11-13-2015, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Snappertim Quote
... after FF hits APS-C will be history in about three years I bet.
I may end up being proved wrong, but I really don't think Ricoh / Pentax will pull out of the APS-C market for a *long* time yet. The K3 and K3II are priced to sell right now, and there's clearly a strong market in that sector. I don't see them pulling out of that when it is profitable, so unless they can get the price of a FF body and lenses down to the same sort of level we're paying for the K3 / K3II and current DA line-up, I suspect we'll see further APS-C models. Perhaps they'll stop developing APS-C lenses (I think that's quite likely, except for low end consumer models), as FF models would be applicable to both formats...

As to which of the 3 amigos to sell... I'd agree with some others here that selling the 20-40 may be a better move, if just for financial reasons - it's unlikely to hold its value as well as the amigos, and since it performs best between f/5.6 and f/8, it's not the fastest or most versatile piece of glass. That said, I love mine

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-13-2015 at 04:42 AM.
11-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had the same situation a while back. Sold the 20-40mm.....
11-13-2015, 08:21 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had not considered selling the 20-40. That would reduce my focal length redundancy but, living in the wet Pacific Northwest, I consider that my nasty weather outdoor lens. It is fairly small, low ca, and sharp -- reserving my amigos for indoor use or fair weather. I wonder how landscape images compare between the 31, 43, and 20-40. Maybe I will test that this weekend.
11-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had not considered selling the 20-40. That would reduce my focal length redundancy but, living in the wet Pacific Northwest, I consider that my nasty weather outdoor lens. It is fairly small, low ca, and sharp -- reserving my amigos for indoor use or fair weather. I wonder how landscape images compare between the 31, 43, and 20-40. Maybe I will test that this weekend.
Yes, the 20-40's WR is a nice feature. I'm not sure how well the lens stands up to landscape use... I know some say the sharpness at the edges isn't too good, and in resolution tests the numbers don't look great - but I'm a lot more interested in the overall rendering, and I like the images it produces very much. I've never used any of the 3 amigos, but I imagine the 31 must be a lovely landscape lens...

11-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #39
klh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As to which of the 3 amigos to sell... I'd agree with some others here that selling the 20-40 may be a better move, if just for financial reasons - it's unlikely to hold its value as well as the amigos, and since it performs best between f/5.6 and f/8, it's not the fastest or most versatile piece of glass. That said, I love mine
That's a great point. The 20-40 price point will most likely go down more in price as it is still a relatively new lens. You can always pick it up again later.

But I wonder about the amigos holding their value too. I just got the FA43, but I've been holding out buying the 31 and 77 thinking that the price of them will go down when/if Ricoh releases updated versions (HD, WR, maybe DC focus).

Last edited by klh; 11-13-2015 at 10:50 AM.
11-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #40
Pentaxian

I would ditch the 20-40. The ltds can take a little moisture, but if it's really wet use an umbrella, or bag or something. Or go inside and sit by the fire like a normal person
11-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
... Or go inside and sit by the fire like a normal person
I have a horrible vision of a fogged-up FA 43 being dried out in front of a wood-burning stove...
11-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being serious for a moment, at one time I had the 20-40 alongside the three amigos, and also opted to return the zoom. Mind you, I also had (and still have) the DA*16-50 so there was double redundancy going on.

If you're happy with the performance of of your DA20-40 (I wasn't - at least not at the wide end) and it's your only WR option in that focal range, hang on to it and sell either the FA31 or the FA43, or both. I would miss their speed and "je ne sais quoi", and I would really miss them when the FF hits the shelves, but if those things are not an issue for you, go for it.
11-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have a confession to make -- I also have the *16-50, thus the pressure to reduce the double redundancy between that lens, the 20-40 and the wider two of the 3 amigos. I really like the 16-50, excellent images, but it is big and has plenty of purple fringing. See my conundrum?
11-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went through a very similar thought process....Have the 16-50 but can't sell that cuz the zoom is convenient, it's good and it's WR. Can't sell the 31 and 77 Ltds. Even though I don't use them that often, they are full frame and among the most prized of Pentax lenses. Selling would be out of like heresy.

So I sold the FA43 limited....for less than I would have liked because the whole used market seems to be soft. (see the earlier comment about how much you need the $350 bucks cuz I didn't get much more than that).

Then I bought a new one on sale at B&H cuz I looked back at how well it did on my vacation pics....

Not much help, sorry, but good luck with your decision.
11-13-2015, 04:54 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a confession to make -- I also have the *16-50, thus the pressure to reduce the double redundancy between that lens, the 20-40 and the wider two of the 3 amigos. I really like the 16-50, excellent images, but it is big and has plenty of purple fringing. See my conundrum?
I think this is going to come down to your heart, rather than your head.

Forgetting for a moment the arguable benefit of WR (unless you're regularly out shooting in the rain or dust-storms!)... You could clearly let go of one or more FA Limiteds, or the 20-40, or even perhaps the 16-50 and still be covered elsewhere. So... which lenses give you the biggest buzz? MTFs, WR, desirability, etc.... they all mean very little compared to how much enjoyment you personally get from using a lens and your satisfaction with the images produced. If you're an enthusiast rather than a professional, then the most important thing is the enjoyment - both in owning and using.

So... which of the lenses you've mentioned gives you the least in terms of enjoyment? That's all I would base it on, personally