Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which one of the 3 amigos should I sell?

I understand this is a difficult topic for members of this site, but I'm picking up some new gear and must sell some of what I have to cover the costs.

I have all these focal lengths covered by other lenses, so I only want to keep the two best amigos, for best reasons.

I have all 3 amigos and need to let one go. Below are my thoughts but I seek your input and advise too.

1) My 77 must stay. Even though I also have the 50 - 135, this lens is small, fast, and relatively long focal length. Too much pixie dust involved.
2) My 31 is larger, has more wear on the body, but I use this focal length often, as my fast in-door lens. I also have the limited 20-40, so this focal length as well as the 43 are covered with a nice lens, albeit slower).
3) My 43 is smaller, easy to carry, in excellent shape, but is probably my least used of the 3 amigos. I'm not sure why, but I find myself usually going wider or longer. Right now, I'm leaning towards selling this one...

If you had to thin your herd, which amigo would you sell?

11-12-2015, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TroutHunterJohn Quote
I understand this is a difficult topic for members of this site, but I'm picking up some new gear and must sell some of what I have to cover the costs.

I have all these focal lengths covered by other lenses, so I only want to keep the two best amigos, for best reasons.

I have all 3 amigos and need to let one go. Below are my thoughts but I seek your input and advise too.

1) My 77 must stay. Even though I also have the 50 - 135, this lens is small, fast, and relatively long focal length. Too much pixie dust involved.
2) My 31 is larger, has more wear on the body, but I use this focal length often, as my fast in-door lens. I also have the limited 20-40, so this focal length as well as the 43 are covered with a nice lens, albeit slower).
3) My 43 is smaller, easy to carry, in excellent shape, but is probably my least used of the 3 amigos. I'm not sure why, but I find myself usually going wider or longer. Right now, I'm leaning towards selling this one...

I think, through process of elimination, you know the 43mm is the answer because, it's your least used, and like most of us, we tend to shoot more at the extremes of our range. That's what I'd do, and because it's in excellent shape, you can get more in return. When you get to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, you may want to return to that range with the 40mm pancake. Super small, very sharp, and beautifully constructed like all the limiteds.
11-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have none of these lenses but strictly speaking of focal lengths, with a zoom my photos tend to cluster in the 50mm and above or 35mm below. If I had these three and had to choose which one to get rid of it will be the 43.
11-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have the 77 and 31. never felt the need for the 43

11-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ned Nederlander.

Sorry.
11-12-2015, 12:27 PM - 4 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trick question - None.
Once you have the three amigos, they can't be separated - it's the law.

11-12-2015, 12:53 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

The 43 of course, its the cheapest to replace once you realise your mistake!
Sounds like it will be more useful on a FF though!

11-12-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Sounds like you answered your own question. However, it depends whether you are planning to get a FF. Then the 43 becomes something akin to what the 31 is for you now. (I only have the 43)
11-12-2015, 01:13 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you have small children, or two good kidneys? Surely you could sell one of them instead.....
11-12-2015, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do you have small children, or two good kidneys? Surely you could sell one of them instead.....

You have a difficult decision!

I love my 20-40, but.....it might be the one to go rather than splitting up the amigos. Pick up a second hand 21ltd somewhere down the track to cover off that FL.
11-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

if you have any aspirations for ff, keeping the 31mm lens is a must, because it rocks on 36mp, people have tested it.
11-12-2015, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First world humor....
11-12-2015, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
First world humor....
Well let's face it; this thread is discussing a definitively first world problem
11-12-2015, 02:35 PM   #14
Forum Member

What do you primarily shoot as subjects?
Have you looked back through your EXIF and checked your actual most used focal lengths? the answer may surprise you.

You may be using the 31 most on crop, but (as was already mentioned) on film or FF the 43 is closer to what the 31 is on APSc.

43 is a somewhat difficult FOV on crop, but i find it excellent on the Sony A7 series or on film.

If most of your shots are head and shoulders portraits, the 31 isn't well suited for that.
If most of your shots are wide-ish landscapes, the 77 isn't well suited for that.

Before someone shoots me down, YES I know there are many beautiful examples of portraits from the 31 and landscapes from the 77.
11-12-2015, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well let's face it; this thread is discussing a definitively first world problem
Very true, but it hit a nerve. I've had the first world luxury of shooting in third world countries where children are sold into prostitution and selling a kidney for $10,000 is enough money to support your family for another year. Amazing how one culture's comedy is another's tragedy.