Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-13-2015, 03:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens for Gymnastics

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of pulling the trigger on a telephoto lens that I can use for my daughter's gymnastics along with my K-3, so focus speed needs to be really good. I've searched for an answer, but seems like discussions pertaining to this venue were from several years back. So far, I'm looking at the DA☆ 60-250 4.0, the DA☆ 200 2.8, FA☆ 200mm 2.8 and the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Any solid recommendations on the best selection (or any other I may have left out)? Thanks!

Last edited by dcpropilot; 11-13-2015 at 03:23 AM.
11-13-2015, 03:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Depending on the event you need fast shutter speeds as well. A fast fifty or any of the F-series zooms if the light is sufficient.
Actually MF might be an option too.

Seb.

EDIT: You seem to indicate a longer lens than I expected. F2.8 is needed.
11-13-2015, 04:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would probably go for a 70-200 f2.8 -- either Tamron or Sigma HSM (you'll have to find a used copy). Feels like the flexibility you would get from a zoom is worth it. The DA *200 is a nice lens and plenty sharp wide open, but I have a feeling there are times you would like a little wider view than being stuck at 200mm for a whole event.
11-13-2015, 05:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd say, f4 delivers less keepers than f2.8. I used the tamron 70-200 f2.8, that focal length is useful, 50-135 could also do it. I don't know how is the situation, but 200mm may be too long. For me, the Tamron 70-200 is not fully sharp at f2.8. I thought of using the DA*200 wide open or 85 f1.4 @ f2.2, depending on the situation. That's a tradeoff versatility or a faster lens.

11-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

from the title i would suggest the heaviest lens you can find...
otherwise as mentioned already get a 70/80-200 F2.8
11-13-2015, 05:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You have to answer two questions that are specific to your situation.

1) How far back will you be?

2) How good is the light?

Depending on where you are, you may be able to rent a selection of lenses to try out. If you can, this is the best bet. See what works best and buy that.
11-13-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I can offer a couple of shots done with Tamron. First three in really poor light.
Regardless of what you use, I suggest getting familiar with the choreography; kids are extremely fast.

11-13-2015, 06:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I would go either with the 60-250 or the 70-200. And if you have them, also take a fast 50 and a fast 35 with you. You will need the zoom, as it is not always possible to get close to the action. (I will be shooting the gymnastics of my kids club in December, and luckily will have all the access I want as I am also a trainer)
Also try not to use the AF. With many apparatus you can just pre-focus and then keep shooting (the floor is bit more difficult, but also possible)
11-13-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Gymnastics is one of the hardest subjects (other than swimming) that I have done. Fast movement and low light. As others have said, you will want f/2.8 lenses or better. I typically brought both my Tamron f/2.8s (28-75 and 70-200) and switched back and forth depending on where the action was. I did find the K-3 was a huge step up in focus speed and accuracy over the K-5.

My first tip would be to prefocus (I manually focused) on beam, bars, and vault. The K-3 is great for that with the focus-peaking feature. It's not easy for the camera to pick out the correct focus points if you're sitting in the stands because of all the background activity (other equipment, gymnasts, etc.). I also tried to stop down at least a half to a full stop to get a little sharper shots, and bump up the ISO until shutter speed was at least 1/500 or better. For floor, I tried to know my daughter's routine and again prefocused for the first shot when the previous gymnast was performing, and I even stopped down a little more in hopes of a better depth of field. After that, I did my best, but the keeper rate for floor routines was pretty low.
11-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tried gymnastics photography once. The problem is dim light and often being too far back. Your lens choice won't matter much in dim light. F4, F2.8, won't make that much difference. You still won't have a shutter speed high enough to stop anything but the slowest action. The shots cxdoo shared are excellent, about the best you can achieve, and that light is much better than anything I ever shot in.
11-13-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

whatever lens you get, it must be flexible....
11-13-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
gf1

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Hi everyone,
I am in the process of pulling the trigger on a telephoto lens that I can use for my daughter's gymnastics along with my K-3, so focus speed needs to be really good. I've searched for an answer, but seems like discussions pertaining to this venue were from several years back. So far, I'm looking at the DA☆ 60-250 4.0, the DA☆ 200 2.8, FA☆ 200mm 2.8 and the Tamron 70-200 2.8. Any solid recommendations on the best selection (or any other I may have left out)? Thanks!
My daughter is in gymnastic too, I shoot with 60-250mm with single focus point, I wouldn't go under 250mm, I'm planing to get X1.4 converter for this specific purpose of getting more close-up.
11-13-2015, 05:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, I think I have it narrowed down to the tamron 70-200/2.8 and the Pentax 60-250/4.

Last edited by dcpropilot; 11-13-2015 at 10:33 PM.
12-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
Forum Member

Hi,

I am by no means good at photography
But I primarily shoot my daughters' gymnastics and other sports - as a non pro, father on the sidelines.

I agree with you narrowing down to the 70-200 and the 60-250. Those were 2 of my final choices for sports.
Realize that with the 4 different events, you may not be able to get very close to all of them - the zoom is definitely better than the primes.

I went with the 70-200 Tamron on my K-3. I feel like I got pretty good shots of my daughter even thought I was not an experienced shooter last year.
I am a little better this year and her first meet is Saturday, I am hoping to get better shot with my "improved" technique.
I do NOT think I would be able to get as good of pictures with the F4 - lighting has been very patchy and not bright at the venues.

I miss the extra reach I could have gotten with the 250 or a 500 - I want more reach for the outdoor sports... but those lenses are not fast enough for indoor gymnastics.

Regards,

---------- Post added 12-09-15 at 05:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Gymnastics is one of the hardest subjects (other than swimming) that I have done. Fast movement and low light. As others have said, you will want f/2.8 lenses or better. I typically brought both my Tamron f/2.8s (28-75 and 70-200) and switched back and forth depending on where the action was. I did find the K-3 was a huge step up in focus speed and accuracy over the K-5.

My first tip would be to prefocus (I manually focused) on beam, bars, and vault. The K-3 is great for that with the focus-peaking feature. It's not easy for the camera to pick out the correct focus points if you're sitting in the stands because of all the background activity (other equipment, gymnasts, etc.). I also tried to stop down at least a half to a full stop to get a little sharper shots, and bump up the ISO until shutter speed was at least 1/500 or better. For floor, I tried to know my daughter's routine and again prefocused for the first shot when the previous gymnast was performing, and I even stopped down a little more in hopes of a better depth of field. After that, I did my best, but the keeper rate for floor routines was pretty low.

Hi,

Please tell me what is so hard with shooting water events?
My daughters are doing synchronized swimming this year for the first time.

I have been shooting for only a while now with my K-3 and 70-200, mostly gymnastics and outdoor sports.

For water sports, is it the indoor lighting that is tricky?
Reflections from the water?

Is there a resource that you know of that I can review in regards to shooting water sports?

Thanks!!!