Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 150-450 Questions

Hi Y'all.

I just picked up this lens from Adorama, purchased through Amazon. Anyway there was no booklet that came with the lens and this lens is a lot more complex than any previous lens I've owned so..
1) Is there supposed to be a booklet/pamphlet with the lens? I don't want to get irate with Adorama if there isn't normally one.
2)I am using my Arca Swiss plate from a Sigma 150-500, but the plate is not ideal. The 'mount on the Pentax lens isn't as square as the mount on the Sigma lens was. so the upward lip isn't as square on the lens. The mount has a double screw attachment instead, any recommendations for plates?

So far it is a wonderful lens, but I haven't had a real chance it out.

Thanks for your replies.

Doug

11-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In the Box at B&H does not show an instruction leaflet. I've seen others comment on its absence before.

There is some description of button function on the Pentax website.
11-14-2015, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Hi Y'all.

I just picked up this lens from Adorama, purchased through Amazon. Anyway there was no booklet that came with the lens and this lens is a lot more complex than any previous lens I've owned so..
1) Is there supposed to be a booklet/pamphlet with the lens? I don't want to get irate with Adorama if there isn't normally one.
2)I am using my Arca Swiss plate from a Sigma 150-500, but the plate is not ideal. The 'mount on the Pentax lens isn't as square as the mount on the Sigma lens was. so the upward lip isn't as square on the lens. The mount has a double screw attachment instead, any recommendations for plates?

So far it is a wonderful lens, but I haven't had a real chance it out.

Thanks for your replies.

Doug
You're in luck- we scanned the supplied manual as part of our in-depth review:

D FA 150-450mm manual

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-14-2015, 04:30 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You're in luck- we scanned the supplied manual as part of our in-depth review:

D FA 150-450mm manual
Great! But shouldn't his lens have had it included?

11-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Adam!

---------- Post added 11-15-2015 at 02:48 PM ----------

Any advice on good plates?
11-15-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi stemked,

I don't have the lens, but what you need in a plate is one that is long enough so you can balance your camera/lens combo on the head, and one with at least one slot so you can use both attachment points. There are countless sources for A/S compatible plates at this time as the mounting system is adopted by more head mfgs, so you can pretty much choose your source once you determine the length you need. My goto sources for A/S plates have been Hejnar and Sunwayfoto as they both offer pretty full lines of plates and clamps, but I've had just about everything I need for my support system for quite a few years, so I may not be aware of other good suppliers that have appeared in the meantime.

Hejnar Photo - Design Manufacture Delivered

http://www.sunwayfoto.com/e_index.aspx

Hejnar will also make custom plates to the user's specs.

I'm sure you can find bargain priced plates from a number of sources, but you just paid a premium for a pro level super tele zoom and I assume you also have a top end body. IMO it deserves a top quality plate, but YMMV. . .

Scott

Last edited by snostorm; 11-16-2015 at 06:43 PM.
12-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Great! But shouldn't his lens have had it included?
Just received my 150-450 and thought at first the manual was missing. I finally found it tucked in behind part of the cardboard box liner. A pamphlet and the warranty card. Would not have found them without taking the box apart.