Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #1

16-50 sdm broken again

So in the past 4 years my 16-50sdm da star has broken twice and 2 days ago once again. This time the front barrel is wobbling at least .3cm and as a results when I look at my photos on the big screen the focus is quite soft. Does anyone know what can cause this? How can it be fixed? I have pretty much had enough of this lens. Once the motor stopped focusing all together, another time the barrel and focus jammed and now this!!!! I paid at least 1000€ for this lens at the time and have probably spent the same again for repair work. It is very frustrating. I was hoping to use this lens on my k5 as much as possible prior to the FF release so I am contemplating whether it is worth even fixing

11-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mattox Quote
So in the past 4 years my 16-50sdm da star has broken twice and 2 days ago once again. This time the front barrel is wobbling at least .3cm and as a results when I look at my photos on the big screen the focus is quite soft. Does anyone know what can cause this? How can it be fixed? I have pretty much had enough of this lens. Once the motor stopped focusing all together, another time the barrel and focus jammed and now this!!!! I paid at least 1000€ for this lens at the time and have probably spent the same again for repair work. It is very frustrating. I was hoping to use this lens on my k5 as much as possible prior to the FF release so I am contemplating whether it is worth even fixing
Personally, I would buy a cheap replacement like a tamron or sigma 17-50 f2.8

OR!!!!

Buy the new 24-70 f2.8 since it #1) Rocks and #2) you want to go to FF anyways.

You may wish to fix the 16-50 anyways so you can sell, I believe it will cost you about $250 to be fixed. Maybe this way you can get some of your money back.
11-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before making any decision, I would suggest that you tried this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-...m-f-2-8-a.html
If that doesn't work for you, you can always put it up for sale here on the Marketplace and I am sure someone will buy it and do the conversion.
It's all up to you.
I did make the conversion to screw drive .... works very well and fast.

JP
11-16-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
Good points but if I repair the lens to sell it again the going price looks around 300$ and the 24-70 is soooo expansive. My issue with that is, if the Pentax FF is no good I have just blown 1000$.

11-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good points but if I repair the lens to sell it again the going price looks around 300$ and the 24-70 is soooo expansive. My issue with that is, if the Pentax FF is no good I have just blown 1000$.
Read what I wrote, up one post. (post no. 3)

Edit: apologies to the OP: I misread your opening post!

Last edited by jpzk; 11-16-2015 at 01:44 PM. Reason: error correction to this post
11-16-2015, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #6

Check on Ebay. I purchased my
From Ebay. So far I have not had any issues with my lense.
Also pictures are crisp clear.
I liked it so much I bought a second copy. Auto focus was even better then my sigma.

Have it checked out by a local camera shop in your area. Then decide go from there.
Let us know what you decide on.
Best of luck.
11-16-2015, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Read what I wrote, up one post. (post no. 3)

instead of insisting that he read your post, perhaps you could read his first post...

this isn't an sdm failure thread

hahahahahahaha

11-16-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

Original Poster
It has just become such an unreliable and frustrating lens for me. I either have a lemon or I am just purely unlucky.
11-16-2015, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wibbly Quote
instead of insisting that he read your post, perhaps you could read his first post...

this isn't an sdm failure thread

hahahahahahaha
Well, I got fooled with part of the title: "16-50 SDM broken again" ... my bad, I thought that he meant that his 16-50 had a SDM broken. But now I see that it is the 16-50 SDM lens (without referring to the SDM explicitly) that is broken.

I should retire my post!

JP
11-16-2015, 01:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It depends if the lens wobble is due to internal damage or loosening.
11-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A small amount of "wobble" at the end of the objective barrel seems to be normal (at least, it is for mine). 3mm sounds like it might be excessive, and mine would be a tenth of that. Having stripped mine more than once, I can safely say that an SDM repair shouldn't involve touching that end of the lens, so I suspect that the cause of your other failure (the barrel jamming - I presume you meant that it couldn't be focussed manually) may have led to an inadequate repair, or worse an incompetent one. Was the repair done by an authorised Pentax service agent?

Mine suffered a small fall (once, a distance of about 400mm but into soft sand) which was enough to cause the zoom helicoid to distort enough to allow one of the ball bearings to jump out of the track and jam. Wiggling the zoom ring backward and forward was enough to allow the ball to slip back into the track (on the advice of the service technician who looked at it). The point I'm making here is that, although the rest of the lens is well-built, the zoom (and probably focus) mechanisms are sufficiently delicate that a small bump can cause trouble. Has yours suffered anything simlar?
11-17-2015, 12:40 AM   #12

Original Poster
A few small bumps yes, but nothing I thought were excessive. It is just so delicate, as you say. No, I didn't have it repaired by an official Pentax repair service, so yes, this could also be a problem. Unfortunately I live in Italy and the lens was purchased OS do Pentax Italy (nital) won't repair the lens
11-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Cheapest option is probably just convert it to a screw drive lens. Mine was working perfectly until last weekend that it suddenly just won't AF at all. I was surprised that it's still pretty quiet as screw drive lens compared to the 50-135.
11-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A few small bumps yes, but nothing I thought were excessive. It is just so delicate, as you say. No, I didn't have it repaired by an official Pentax repair service, so yes, this could also be a problem. Unfortunately I live in Italy and the lens was purchased OS do Pentax Italy (nital) won't repair the lens
It sounds like something (possibly having its origins in the repair to the stuck focus) has come loose. If that's all it is, it shouldn't be hard for a competent lens technician to fix, but the trick is finding one. Are you game to tackle it yourself?
11-18-2015, 06:26 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
It sounds like something (possibly having its origins in the repair to the stuck focus) has come loose. If that's all it is, it shouldn't be hard for a competent lens technician to fix, but the trick is finding one. Are you game to tackle it yourself?
Noooooo way!!!!!