Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #136
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
So it's Christmas morning, and my family was generous to me. The numbers 15, 21 and 70 are involved.

Regardless of what a certain image club would like to insist, the only lens that's really controlling my mind at the moment is the HD-DA70. Man, that is one nice piece of glass (so to speak). No doubt the others will get their turns soon enough, but right now the looks of concentration on my kids' faces as they play with their new toys are the realm of the 70.
Many people raise a glass at Christmas, but it isn't usually one of those. Enjoy it, @Pathdoc.

Surely one Limited for Christmas is plenty! It's a rich pudding to take three helpings.

12-25-2015, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was going to be the AF540FGZ alone, but then I mentioned to the Mrs that lens prices were good and she said go for it: "We are doing all sorts of travelling, so equip yourself accordingly."

The Three Amigos, on the other hand - yeah, that would be a bit too much in one hit.

My trio of FA primes, with the possible exception of the FA135 (for which no DA equivalent exists), will be migrating to the film bodies.
12-25-2015, 07:13 PM - 1 Like   #138
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I mentioned to the Mrs that lens prices were good and she said go for it: "We are doing all sorts of travelling, so equip yourself accordingly."
Has she got a sister?
12-25-2015, 08:35 PM   #139
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So it's Christmas morning, and my family was generous to me. The numbers 15, 21 and 70 are involved.

Regardless of what a certain image club would like to insist, the only lens that's really controlling my mind at the moment is the HD-DA70. Man, that is one nice piece of glass (so to speak). No doubt the others will get their turns soon enough, but right now the looks of concentration on my kids' faces as they play with their new toys are the realm of the 70.
I have the fa77 and hd70... The 70 is a fantastic lens. As is the 77, you are in good company.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 12-26-2015 at 09:05 AM.
12-26-2015, 04:56 AM   #140
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You lucky lad. Three phenomenal lenses - and yes, the DA70 is a peach. Congratulations!
12-26-2015, 05:06 PM   #141
Pentaxian

And tonight it was the 21 and 15's chance to shine. It involves people whose pics I don't want to post online for their own privacy, but the results were quite spectacular at their best.

I am beginning to understand why people call the 15 the mind control lens - once you get the right shot just once, you're forever on the lookout for situations in which it can be used in an appropriate fashion to get that result again.

As for the 21, I was worried at first it would be too wide for the circumstances but it worked very nicely in the space I was using it in, and set the subjects nicely in their context while still keeping them to the fore.

Unlike my 17mm RMC Tokina, both are remarkably rectilinear. I find I still have to watch the verticals a bit, but not nearly as much as with the older lens. But the Tokina's job is to provide an UWA perspective on film, and the 15 is 21mm EFOV equivalent on APS-C. Each has its place.

Best of all, the entire quartet fits in my camera bag (with one on the camera), and if I have to, I can fit the charger and possibly even the new flash in too.
12-26-2015, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #142
Pentaxian

Stack of Primes.

Last edited by pathdoc; 01-05-2016 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Improve photo orientation
12-26-2015, 05:31 PM   #143
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the 21 - but I do have the 15/40/70 - mine are SMC/SMC/HD and I often carried that combo for fun.
12-26-2015, 05:52 PM   #144
Pentaxian

Playing around with both the 15 and the 21 today convinced me that with the exception of large groups in tight spaces, the 15 is not and should not be considered a people lens; I'm glad I got the 21 as well, as the 40 would have been too tight for the party and any of my zooms would have been too bulky and obtrusive.
12-26-2015, 09:19 PM - 2 Likes   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Went out to with my 21SMC again. Only my 3rd time out with it, this lens is sharp.
f3.2

F11

12-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
They say you always remember your first. ... Mine is the 15.

The reputation for build quality is deserved. What a solid little chunk of metal and glass.

Although I have the 16-50, I wanted the 15 for its flare resistance and compact size. Today was cloudy and I didn't get a chance to point it at the sun. The 16-50 is quite a flare monster, so I'm quite looking forward to using this little gem.

I can tell the Limited fever beginning to burn a hole in my bank account.

What was your first Limited?
12-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Surely one Limited for Christmas is plenty! It's a rich pudding to take three helpings
Yeah, I felt guilty about my materialism for a while, but then I went and looked on B&H and right now all of this is still significantly cheaper than the new D-FA 24-70/2.8 (which some of us have). Or to put it another way, I could right this minute (based on B&H list price) buy ALL the HD DA Limited primes apart from the Macro and it would still JUST be less expensive than the new D-FA zoom. And the full combination of the Three Amigos is even worse! I don't think I'll be buying them in a hurry, given what I have right now.
12-28-2015, 04:10 PM   #148
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I felt guilty about my materialism for a while
Don't. You got these lenses because you know you will use them.

The rationalisation about the DFA 24-70 is true too, but you don't need it.
12-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #149
Pentaxian

I wasn't rationalising the D-FA (which I certainly won't be buying), but one can use it as a comparison to say "For the cost of this, I can have a spread of lenses which collectively equal or exceed its capabilities, if only on APS-C - and which, because of their separate and compact natures, store more efficiently." The willingness and necessity of changing those lenses in the field to get that collective capability is something the prime lens fan accepts as part of his or her operating doctrine, as is the fact that no wide WR prime currently exists in the Pentax line up (the shortest is the 55/1.4 DA*, which I don't have and don't want, and the next is the 100/2.8 WR macro, which I DO have and have wielded to effect in the wet when I had nothing else suitable).

The ones I didn't buy in HD are the ones I already have in SMC, and I see no need to throw good money at them to replace what isn't broken, nor (with both ends and the middle adequately covered) do I currently have a rationale to buy the Limited zoom. At some stage I will probably acquire the FA31, but the 35/2.8 is arguably its equal in IQ if not in rendering or speed and that focal length I regard as effectively serviced.
01-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #150

Original Poster
Ordered a 21 today! With my 15 and 77, I should be set for a while for Limiteds.