Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 09:06 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA 21HD Silver new - makes my K3 into a street camera carry every where.
DA 70 SMC Used (thanks Nick) for times when 21 isn't close enough and allows me to do portraits with a bit more working distance - only had it for a short time so still learning. Not sure I need anything more in the small limited line.

For in betweens I have a number of other choices depending on anticipated context or subject matter.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 11-19-2015 at 11:31 PM.
11-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
Is it wrong that I'm already planning on the next lens?
No not at all, go for it

QuoteQuote:
DA 21HD Silver new - makes my K30 into a street camera carry every where.
Also I have been thinking along these lines, for obtaining a 21.

11-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Also I have been thinking along these lines, for obtaining a 21.
Umm typo earlier K3 not K30 oops. Yup the strap is really annoying though so I have a Gordys strap coming - using a lighter weight "Thefoto" one at the moment.

The quick focus the small size and the unobtrusiveness of the package are great...
11-20-2015, 12:03 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking of getting a Wapiti Straps - Handcrafted camera strap for the Photojournalist for my K-5

11-20-2015, 02:11 AM   #65

My first was a used 35 Macro that I got for a good price. I only got it a couple of weeks a go and I'm already feeling the addiction!!

It's also technically my first prime with this FOV, and I finally get the whole "normal" thing.

My finger is hovering over the buy button for a good priced 70mm HD, I really want a portrait lens. I will admit I have the usual Da70 mm vs Fa 77 decision going on in my head. Realistically, I think even a used 77mm is stretching my budget a bit far. I also suspect buying the 70mm, a couple of extra strobes and some reflectors, and still saving money would be better for my photography than just the 77. But I'm just constantly blown away by the portraits I see taken with the 77.... but that might be more down to the quality of the photographers using it!
11-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanGleabols Quote
I will admit I have the usual Da70 mm vs Fa 77 decision going on in my head. Realistically, I think even a used 77mm is stretching my budget a bit far. I also suspect buying the 70mm, a couple of extra strobes and some reflectors, and still saving money would be better for my photography than just the 77.
If I were going to buy one of the two and IF money were no object, I would buy the 77 over the 70, because the official forum test found very little to choose between them and it'd be compatible with ALL my K-mount bodies, film and digital, into the foreseeable future. However, I appreciate that for many, this state of affairs isn't the case. When money considerations rule, it's bang-for-the-buck. At least the full-frame will have crop mode.
11-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first was a used 35 Macro that I got for a good price. I only got it a couple of weeks a go and I'm already feeling the addiction!!

It's also technically my first prime with this FOV, and I finally get the whole "normal" thing.

My finger is hovering over the buy button for a good priced 70mm HD, I really want a portrait lens. I will admit I have the usual Da70 mm vs Fa 77 decision going on in my head. Realistically, I think even a used 77mm is stretching my budget a bit far. I also suspect buying the 70mm, a couple of extra strobes and some reflectors, and still saving money would be better for my photography than just the 77. But I'm just constantly blown away by the portraits I see taken with the 77.... but that might be more down to the quality of the photographers using it!
I own both... I like both. The hd 70 is very special don't underestimate it.

11-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The hd 70 is very special don't underestimate it.
I don't think he's underestimating it, but I think his wallet is shivering in fear if he tries to get both!
11-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #69
Veteran Member

The FA77 and DA70 are indeed quite different. The FA77 has better bokeh, warmer colors and make the subject pop more on top on having a wider apperture (1 stop wider). The biggest issue is the purple fringing at large apperture in difficult conditions and lack of quick shift.

The other has more flare resistance is optimized for digital and offer a more "clinical" rendering that is to me much more common theses days. The biggest issue is that the max apperture make it not so different "spec wise" from an f/2.8 zoom like 50-135, 70-200 or 24-70.

To me you can make the FA77 do everything the DA70 does, but the contrary is not true. Mostly for the larger apperture and a bit for the pop/pixie dust. If you take the DA70 while the lens is great you'll wonder whatif I had taken the 77. While if you have the FA77 you'll never look back.

The key reason for going the DA70 route to me is to keep a budget and that's perfectly valid one.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 11-20-2015 at 12:15 PM.
11-20-2015, 10:32 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
purple frigging
That's "fringing".

"Frigging" is a euphemism for things we generally don't do in public, but which might result in new generations of photographers if the timing is right or the prophylactics fail.

As for what purple frigging is, I really don't want to know!
11-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #71
Veteran Member

That frigging fringing!
11-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
That's "fringing".

"Frigging" is a euphemism for things we generally don't do in public, but which might result in new generations of photographers if the timing is right or the prophylactics fail.

As for what purple frigging is, I really don't want to know!
Sorry and thanks
11-20-2015, 12:43 PM - 2 Likes   #73
Forum Member

There's nothing "clinical" about the 70mm Limited lens. It's an outstanding lens and if it leaves you wanting something more, ain't nothing gonna make you happy. Buy it and never look back.
11-20-2015, 01:04 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
There's nothing "clinical" about the 70mm Limited lens.
The 35 Limited on the other hand... well, that's the reason I bought it (literally, clinical macrophotography). And like its not-officially-limited 100mm big brother, it does a damn fine job of it.
11-20-2015, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #75
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
There's nothing "clinical" about the 70mm Limited lens. It's an outstanding lens and if it leaves you wanting something more, ain't nothing gonna make you happy. Buy it and never look back.
I couldn't agree more