Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 15 was my first limited. It quickly became my second most used lens (behind the DA* 300). Even so I did not buy my second limited, the HD DA 21, until almost three years later. Since acquiring that DA 21 a few months ago, it has quickly become my most used prime lens. I love the focal length and the lens.

The limiteds are wonderful lenses, and if I shot more at longer focal lengths and did more narrow DOF work with normals and short teles, I'd get all of them eventually. But since 40mm, 43mm, 70mm, and 77mm are all focal lengths which, although I might visit them briefly now and then, don't provide FOVs I use all that often, I have no interest in obtaining any of the limiteds longer than 35mm. I would rarely use them--or if I did, I'd end up throwing out most of the images taken with them. I'm just not a short tele shooter. That leaves only the 31 and the 35. Oddly, I've never felt any desire for the FA 31. It's 1.8 aperture, one of it's chief glories, would be wasted on me. And at f8, it's not that much better than either my K 28/3.5 or K 35/3.5, both of which I'm eminently satisfied with. That leaves the DA 35 macro--the only other limited I could see myself ever getting.

11-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #32
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
DFA 100 Limited
QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
DFA 100 not quite limited
It should be. What a lens. My first foray into premium prime territory.

FA 77 was next. It's all been said before. No superlatives are excessive.

Then FA 43. A bit hit-and-miss, but the hits are worth it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
then the 70, 31 and 43 fairly soon after, as the Aussie dollar was better than parity with the Greenback at the time.
Ah, those were the days. I rue missing out on a 31 for about $A600. I can't justify paying $1000 for one now.
11-17-2015, 03:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

FA43, the first Pentax lens I bought, on my old K-7.
So good I bought a brand new one when I came back to Pentax with the K-01/MZ-S and K-3II, although these days gets used less, shame really.

11-18-2015, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think I remember which was my first Limited - the 43 - but I can't be certain - I've owned an FA43mm Limited on several occasions - and I currently have this beautiful little silver version:

11-18-2015, 03:27 AM   #35
Veteran Member

1 DA21
2 FA77
3 DA15
4 DA35

I can't really say anything bad of the FA77 and DA35... They really shine on everything they do. They are outstanding lenses.

The DA15 is great for the framing, size, contrast and great flare resistance. So really that's a keeper. Still I'd like a bit more sharpness or borders. It is capable of quite sharp border but it depend a lot on the circonstances (if the borders are more distant than the subject or more near to the subject) due to field curvature and slight decentering.

The DA21 is the less special of all the limited I have and maybe of all limited. It still have some border sharpness issue. But the size, including the hood design are really great for a low profile lens. It has great flare resistance and nice colors. Usually it is also quite affordable.
11-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I was mistaken. I went back and checked and I think my SMC DA 15 was my first and my SMC DA 40 was my second.
11-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #37
Pentaxian

My first was a DA70 that I think I bought from on this forum followed by a DA15 which I had difficulties getting because I was buying from a person in Calgary and we never seemed to be able to meet when I was in town. I am not sure when or if I will get another limited. The 70 is one of my most used lenses and I use it on both my K5IIs and the MZ7. When travelling very light it is the 15/35/70 combinations and no room for a fourth lens. If Pentax was to come out with a limited DA around the 24-28 focal length I could see buying it and selling the DA35 2.4 or at least having the new DA limited with me instead of the DA35. If I got rid of my film Pentaxs then maybe getting the DA40 and sell the 28 2.8M/DA35 2.4 and the F50 1.7.

Nothing seems wrong with the other limiteds, I just do not need them and as I have multiple formats and only one back I do limited what I get for gear now.

11-18-2015, 02:56 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
My first was a DA70 that I think I bought from on this forum followed by a DA15 which I had difficulties getting because I was buying from a person in Calgary and we never seemed to be able to meet when I was in town. I am not sure when or if I will get another limited. The 70 is one of my most used lenses and I use it on both my K5IIs and the MZ7. When travelling very light it is the 15/35/70 combinations and no room for a fourth lens. If Pentax was to come out with a limited DA around the 24-28 focal length I could see buying it and selling the DA35 2.4 or at least having the new DA limited with me instead of the DA35. If I got rid of my film Pentaxs then maybe getting the DA40 and sell the 28 2.8M/DA35 2.4 and the F50 1.7.

Nothing seems wrong with the other limiteds, I just do not need them and as I have multiple formats and only one back I do limited what I get for gear now.
What about the DA 35 macro as an alternative to the DA 35 f/2.4?
Slower but a bit more flexible.
11-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #39
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What about the DA 35 macro as an alternative to the DA 35 f/2.4?
Slower but a bit more flexible.
It's strange... I have the DA35 f/2.4 and the f/2.8 Macro, and I find I actually prefer the f/2.4 for day-to-day shooting. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2.8 - but at f/4-5.6 the 2.4 is just a killer lens and - for me - has the edge over the Limited in terms of flexibility, bearing in mind the quicker (if rather noisy!) AF... Of course, if I had to give up one or the other... now that's a different story

My first Limited was the DA15 and I have to say - unfortunately - my least used. Not for any negative reasons, though - just that I don't find myself needing such a wide angle all that often. When I do need it, I love what the DA15 produces It was so good that I ended up buying others (such as the DA21, which is my favourite!), so that should be testament to how impressed I was (and am) with the IQ and form factor...
11-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It's strange... I have the DA35 f/2.4 and the f/2.8 Macro, and I find I actually prefer the f/2.4 for day-to-day shooting. Don't get me wrong, I love the 2.8 - but at f/4-5.6 the 2.4 is just a killer lens and - for me - has the edge over the Limited in terms of flexibility, bearing in mind the quicker (if rather noisy!) AF... Of course, if I had to give up one or the other... now that's a different story

My first Limited was the DA15 and I have to say - unfortunately - my least used. Not for any negative reasons, though - just that I don't find myself needing such a wide angle all that often. When I do need it, I love what the DA15 produces It was so good that I ended up buying others (such as the DA21, which is my favourite!), so that should be testament to how impressed I was (and am) with the IQ and form factor...
Well that makes sense the long focus throw on the f/2.8 macro is a problem - a focus limiter is sorely needed. I had a plastic fantastic and sold it. The DA 40 was too close in purpose. I liked the DA 40 rendering better. Then eventually a friend offered me his FA 31 for a STEAL and I had to take it. Now I have the FA 31, the FA 35 f/2 and the DA 40 all in that focal length. I have to trim some fat...
11-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well that makes sense the long focus throw on the f/2.8 macro is a problem - a focus limiter is sorely needed. I had a plastic fantastic and sold it. The DA 40 was too close in purpose. I liked the DA 40 rendering better. Then eventually a friend offered me his FA 31 for a STEAL and I had to take it. Now I have the FA 31, the FA 35 f/2 and the DA 40 all in that focal length. I have to trim some fat...
Ah, now if I had the FA31...
11-18-2015, 04:29 PM   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
If Pentax was to come out with a limited DA around the 24-28 focal length I could see buying it and selling the DA35 2.4 or at least having the new DA limited with me instead of the DA35.
+1. That would be a better pairing with the 43. None of the existing 24-28 options really appeals to me.

---------- Post added 11-19-15 at 10:31 AM ----------

eventually a friend offered me his FA 31 for a STEAL and I had to take it.
Assuming it wasn't really a steal , everyone needs a friend like that.
11-18-2015, 04:43 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

20-40 zoom; fantastic lens. People have slagged it off because it's bigger than the primes. But ... it's a zoom! Still comparatively small and sexy though. Build quality, flare resistance, image quality, it's all there.
11-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #44

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
20-40 zoom; fantastic lens. People have slagged it off because it's bigger than the primes. But ... it's a zoom! Still comparatively small and sexy though. Build quality, flare resistance, image quality, it's all there.
I'm looking at this as a smaller alternative to my 16-50 ...
11-18-2015, 05:24 PM   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I love the 20-40 I just wish the hood was a bit more functional... But the lens itself is lovely - and what the heck, at least the hood *looks* good