Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Brucie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Plains
Posts: 52
DA 20-40 and K-5

Bought the DA 20-40 Limited but am not getting the vibrant colors with it that I get from my other Limited lenses. When I read reviews of this lens, many say that it seems perfectly tuned to the K-3, requiring no color manipulation, etc.

I'm wondering if using this lens with the K-5 has anything to do with lack of vibrant color. I would just punch up the color settings, but I don't have to do this with my other Limited lenses. My other Limiteds, in fact, are outstanding. So far the 20-40 is not.

Anyone else had this issue with the 20-40? Thank you.

11-19-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,689
QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
Bought the DA 20-40 Limited but am not getting the vibrant colors with it that I get from my other Limited lenses. When I read reviews of this lens, many say that it seems perfectly tuned to the K-3, requiring no color manipulation, etc.

I'm wondering if using this lens with the K-5 has anything to do with lack of vibrant color. I would just punch up the color settings, but I don't have to do this with my other Limited lenses. My other Limiteds, in fact, are outstanding. So far the 20-40 is not.

Anyone else had this issue with the 20-40? Thank you.
Sounds like a contrast issue to me- try bumping that up a bit. Enabling vignetting correction might also help. Unlike the other limiteds, the 20-40mm is a zoom after all, and it's not quite as good wide-open.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
bxf
Pentaxian
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,568
This may be redundant "advice", but if you haven't already done so, I'd say shoot the new lens and another, satisfactory one, back to back, under the same lighting conditions and exposure, so you know your comparison is fair.

Last edited by bxf; 11-19-2015 at 11:46 AM.
11-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,162
My 20-40 gives excellent colors, very similar to my other limiteds under most circumstances. It was good on my K5 and now on my K3. I'm not sure what else to tell you.

11-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,542
QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
Bought the DA 20-40 Limited but am not getting the vibrant colors with it that I get from my other Limited lenses. When I read reviews of this lens, many say that it seems perfectly tuned to the K-3, requiring no color manipulation, etc.

I'm wondering if using this lens with the K-5 has anything to do with lack of vibrant color. I would just punch up the color settings, but I don't have to do this with my other Limited lenses. My other Limiteds, in fact, are outstanding. So far the 20-40 is not.

Anyone else had this issue with the 20-40? Thank you.
Brucie, my 20-40 reproduces colours almost identically to my other Limiteds on my K5. They are all remarkably consistent...
11-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sydney
Photos: Albums
Posts: 844
Depends which limiteds you already own, it may just be a difference between SMC and HD coatings?
11-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian
wstruth's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: at my kitchen table
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,166
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Brucie, my 20-40 reproduces colours almost identically to my other Limiteds on my K5. They are all remarkably consistent...
Ditto here.
11-19-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Brucie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Plains
Posts: 52
Original Poster
I dialed up both the contrast and color, and it seems to have made a big difference. Now I just need to learn how to get the best out of this lens. Thanks for your help!

11-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,542
QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
I dialed up both the contrast and color, and it seems to have made a big difference. Now I just need to learn how to get the best out of this lens. Thanks for your help!
Good to hear
11-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
voy-tech's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 214
I love this lens - at f/8 the resolution and color is just stunning on my K5IIs (although I do boost the color a little in post). Considering the IQ, size and WR it's basically the perfect landscape lens (if only it was just a little wider).

Last edited by voy-tech; 11-19-2015 at 05:26 PM.
11-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,542
QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
I love this lens - at f/8 the resolution and color is just stunning on my K5IIs (although I do boost the color a little in post). Considering the IQ, size and WR it's basically the perfect landscape lens (if only it was just a little wider).
The DA15 is a wonderful partner for it
11-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #12
Senior Member
voy-tech's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 214
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The DA15 is a wonderful partner for it
I'm debating between DA15 and Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 - basically same price now (but that's a discussion for another thread).
11-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,542
QuoteOriginally posted by voy-tech Quote
I'm debating between DA15 and Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 - basically same price now (but that's a discussion for another thread).
Nice
11-20-2015, 05:39 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Brucie's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Plains
Posts: 52
Original Poster
Don't know anything about the Sigma, but the DA 15 Limited is a fine lens. I've used mine for landscapes and even for street photography. Like the 43 and 70, the 15 has spoiled me. It's a world-class lens and yet it's so small. That's one of the things I'm having a tough time adjusting to with the DA20-40. It's so much larger and heavier than the others; I'm debating sending it back and buying the 21mm Limited. I just wish the 21 was an f/2.
11-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 15,542
QuoteOriginally posted by Brucie Quote
Don't know anything about the Sigma, but the DA 15 Limited is a fine lens. I've used mine for landscapes and even for street photography. Like the 43 and 70, the 15 has spoiled me. It's a world-class lens and yet it's so small. That's one of the things I'm having a tough time adjusting to with the DA20-40. It's so much larger and heavier than the others; I'm debating sending it back and buying the 21mm Limited. I just wish the 21 was an f/2.
Brucie - personally, I love the 20-40 and find it a versatile walk-around lens. I wouldn't let mine go. That said, the 21 is my overall favourite - and centre sharpness is good from wide open, so depending on the subject, the max aperture of f/3.2 isn't that limiting..
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
color, da, k-5, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA 40, 20-40 or DA 70 ? Fotorix Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 41 09-23-2015 11:52 AM
Compare the FA 20-35 and DA 20-40 jeverettfine Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 66 05-10-2015 11:44 PM
The DA limited is 20-40? and WR?! LFLee Pentax News and Rumors 1331 02-13-2014 10:55 PM
DA 20-40 comparison with Fa 20-35? VladM Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 12-31-2013 09:33 PM
Wanted - Acquired: DA 40 ltd and a DA 12-24 or Sigma 10-20 Jeff Bennett Sold Items 5 03-22-2011 03:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top