Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Try it on the Bigma and post some over in the Sigma long zoom thread! I'd be interested in viewing. I once tried my Tamron 1.4 on my Bigma 50-500 but the results were not so good.

Regards!
Hi Rupert,

I will put the Tak 2X TC on my Sigma and give it a shot. As far as posting the pix, I have to somewhat sheepishly admit that I've never mastered the skill of posting images onto forums. My kids, who are both 20 something and very computer literate, have on numerous occasions tried to show their old, beknighted dad, how to accomplish this task. Alas...even they have given up.

My computer skills are pretty well limited to posting text on forums.

Les

11-22-2015, 02:26 PM   #47
Veteran Member

I'll add my 2¢ to this thread. I haven't read all of the posts, and am not sure whether there is any tongue-in-cheek involved, but my experience with premium prime ultra-teles + TC(s) have allowed me to come to the conclusion that I don't really need more than 300mm in a premium grade lens as I get very acceptable results for my taste by adding TC(s) if I need more reach.

I have and use the following:
FA* 300/4.5
Canon FD 300/4 L converted to K mount
FA* 300/2.8
Sigma EX 300/2.8 APO
Tamron SP 300/2.8 Mod 60B Adaptall 2

Tamron F 1.4x MC4 PZ AF
Sigma EX 1.4x APO AF
Pentax F 1.7x AFA

I'll also use a Tamron SP 70-200/2.8 Adaptall 2 or a Sigma EX 100-300/4 APO DG with TCs, but no other zooms I have are suitable to use with TCs from an IQ standpoint in my experience, except for bird ID purposes.

I pretty much summed up with examples in this post : https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/234080-help...ml#post2483889

Some more in this reply: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/235233-what...ml#post2489475

Bottom line, I'd rather carry two 300mm lenses (an f4/4.5 and an f2.8) + three TCs and Q body with adapters to get usable 300mm, 420mm, 510mm, 600mm and 714mm (and well beyond with the Q) than deal with the extra weight, size, and MUCH longer MFDs of longer lenses like the DA 560, Sigma EX 500/4.5, FA* 600/4, and FA* 250-600/5.6. Sure, there are some slight compromises in IQ, but at 65 yo, with a weak heart, it's just not in the cards for me to carry my convenient goto 300s PLUS anything longer in a super tele prime or zoom.

Of course, YMMV. . . most do

Scott
11-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #48
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
As far as posting the pix, I have to somewhat sheepishly admit that I've never mastered the skill of posting images onto forums. My kids, who are both 20 something and very computer literate, have on numerous occasions tried to show their old, beknighted dad, how to accomplish this task. Alas...even they have given up.

My computer skills are pretty well limited to posting text on forums.
When you get ready we will gladly walk you through the process...it is so easy! You need to be able to post photos, it's half the fun here!

We will tutor you until you get it. You just have to promise you will never post a damn squirrel......we already have more than enough of them here already!

Regards!

BTW- The OP sent me a message that if I post a damn squirrel in his thread he would hunt me down like a rabid dog and eradicate me. He said rodent squirrels suck worse than the worst TC. I don't know this "mystery guy" but I'm taking him serious!
11-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
When you get ready we will gladly walk you through the process...it is so easy! You need to be able to post photos, it's half the fun here!

We will tutor you until you get it. You just have to promise you will never post a damn squirrel......we already have more than enough of them here already!

Regards!

BTW- The OP sent me a message that if I post a damn squirrel in his thread he would hunt me down like a rabid dog and eradicate me. He said rodent squirrels suck worse than the worst TC. I don't know this "mystery guy" but I'm taking him serious!
Thank you for your kind offer Rupert to show me the ropes regarding posting photographs. I promise you that I will meet all your squirrel requirements. I'm an animal lover.

Les

11-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I thought that the results were better than they deserved to be. Back in the late 60's I had a Pentacon 500-5.6 preset with the M42 adaptor, and tried it with a 2X and a 3X together. Even using two tripods the results were nothing like as good. As for trying it on the moon, it was a joke, the moon passed the viewfinder in a few seconds.