Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 08:08 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
The Tamron vignettes quite a lot even at APS-C so I am a bit concerned how much it will be on FF.
?

Not that I've noticed.

As Photozone say: "On the EOS 350D with its reduced format (APS-C) the (full format) lens exhibits very little vignetting at f/2.8 and infinity focus. From f/4 & up it is absolutely negligible. At 1:1 the problem is already non-existent at max. aperture."

11-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You don't have to buy either the sigma 180mm or FA*200mm f/4 I was simply pointing out your complaint that the Tamron 90mm as being "too narrow" is actually a blessing in disguise - at least for macro work on APS-C format. You can keep your Tamron 90mm and use the FA77 as a dedicated portrait lens, it is faster than the Tamron 90mm and physically smaller.
The FA 31, 43, 77 series will be first line of Pentax lenses needing an update to get into the digital world. If you have one or more of them keep them, don“t get them new now awaiting a FF camera.
Same for D-FA 100WR, just wait. The current lens may be replaced soon or become even less expensive with the advent of a FF camera. Find out for yourself whether you are still happy with Tamron after getting the new camera. Noone can tell you about the performance on the FF Pentax body yet.
11-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The FA 31, 43, 77 series will be first line of Pentax lenses needing an update to get into the digital world.
Yeah that well known that if you have an FA, F, M or K lens you can't shoot digital and are limited to film...

More seriously theses lenses are top of line now. There no warranty you'll get updated version of such lenses doon and that the "digital" version would have the same properties. We don't know the amount of redisign that will go inside depending of Ricoh priorities and what markets they want to target.
11-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The FA 31, 43, 77 series will be first line of Pentax lenses needing an update to get into the digital world.
Does a lens that produces images like this:

Pentax K5IIS - SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited + 11mm extension tube

Look like it needs an update?

11-26-2015, 10:52 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Does a lens that produces images like this:

Pentax K5IIS - SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited + 11mm extension tube

Look like it needs an update?
Of course! You will notice it as soon as you try to shoot the same kind of picture wide open with an out of focus background against a bright sky (nice picture by the way)...

Cheers!

Abbazz
11-27-2015, 01:04 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
You will notice it as soon as you try to shoot the same kind of picture wide open with an out of focus background against a bright sky
Like this?

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA77mm f/1.8 @ f/1.8 ISO 80 1/3200th - No sharpening or CA removal applied.

I know what you are getting at - however, every non-apochromatic lens is going to have visible chromatic aberration when used for contre-jour photography, and using a lens at its widest aperture just exacerbates it. So if you're going to complain about how lenses perform under those circumstances and ignore all the situations where they work perfectly fine - I suggest you get another hobby. No amount of "digital optimization" can remove CA - it is an inherent consequence of the lenses optical design, if they made the FA77 fully apochromatic it would be very expensive*, it would weigh more, the filter thread would most likely be larger - it would basically destroy all the characteristics that make the FA77 such an appealing lens in the first place: all in the name of what? optical perfection? I have worked with many "perfect" top-of-the-line designed for 35mm format portrait lenses: the Pentax SMCP-FA*85mm f/1.4, Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2 APO, Hexanon-M 90mm f/2.8, Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4, Leica Summulix-M 75mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.2L II, Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G: the Pentax FA77 can easily be counted as an equal** to such exalted company.

*Apochromatic lenses with apertures of f/1.8 and faster are exceedingly rare.
** And in some cases, it optically outperforms some of the lenses I mentioned. Also I will point out that the FA77 considerably smaller than nearly all of those lenses, with the exception of the Hexanon-M 90mm f/2.8 - they are about the same size....and the have identical filter threads too come to think of it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-27-2015 at 04:42 AM.
11-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Of course! You will notice it as soon as you try to shoot the same kind of picture wide open with an out of focus background against a bright sky (nice picture by the way)...

Cheers!

Abbazz
Using it, how many otherwise nice keepers did the CA issue forced you to trash the photograph? On the opposite how many outstanding pictures did you get thanks to its pop, constrast and lovely rendering?

The lense is consider as the best Pentax lenses by the forum. Some argue this must be because the FA*85 is no longer produced, but still. It got better results than say the DA70 f/2.4 that actually has modern coating and a smaller apperture allowing to fare better on reviews. Not eveything is about reviews and theoretical perfection. This didn't allowed the DA70 to get the most love.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 11-27-2015 at 03:01 PM.
09-09-2016, 03:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I can't stop thinking about upgrading my Tamron 90mm f/2,8 macro to Pentax 100mm f/2,8 macro WR, because of smaller size, weight and build quality. An upgrade would reduce:

- Lens weight by 16% / 65 gram
- Lens diameter by 10% / 7 mm
- Lens length by 16% / 16 mm
- Lens volume by 32% / 1,26 desiliter (cylinder approximation)

Weight is one of my concerns with FF and this would make the transition easier. A small increase in focal length is also positive compared to keep the Tamron when I go FF. I also believe sunstars would look better with 8 aperture blades compared to 9, both at small apertures (so the rounding have less effect).

If I buy the 100mm WR used and get a good price for my Tamron I hope to keep the upgrade cost down to 100-150 $.

09-09-2016, 04:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say, the DFA 100mm WR is really compact and a beautiful lens. Amazing optics, too. Go for it