Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I owned the M 28/3.5 for many years, and it was a really good lens on film. I don't know how it would work on digital sensors, but if I were to trip over one for close to $0.00 I would set the lens to f/8 and the recommended distance on the focus rings and use it like a box camera. That is how I used it on the film SLRs. Manual exposure of course.

11-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I have the Takumar - A 28mm F2.8 ... and I use the Auto Focus Confirm in the View finder all the time.
Do you get consistently sharp images? Are you stopping down quite a bit? The reason I ask is that focus confirm usually has a wide latitude for confirmation and some degree of visual fine tuning is often necessary. That's where I run into problems with any lens wider than approx. 35mm... I'd love to improve my experience with manual focus on wider lenses...
11-22-2015, 07:40 PM   #18
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd love to improve my experience with manual focus on wider lenses...
live view with magnification(10x?) should improve the accuracy quite a bit, vs. the ovf.

the next step up from that would be mirrorless, using magnification in the evf(14.4x on the a7r).
11-22-2015, 09:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Do you get consistently sharp images? Are you stopping down quite a bit? The reason I ask is that focus confirm usually has a wide latitude for confirmation and some degree of visual fine tuning is often necessary. That's where I run into problems with any lens wider than approx. 35mm... I'd love to improve my experience with manual focus on wider lenses...
I get sharpness consistently at F2.8 , 8 & 11 the stops that I use most. The focus confirm doesnt seem to have too much latitude for this lens. I have the shutter on focus priority all the time and I use the AF button for focusing so I dont get the shot until its in focus. I test with the 16 X magnifier in playback every so often to confirm the focus confirm is working because I only have one good eye and its getting tired. My good eye says sharpness from the 28 F2.8 is comparable to my DA WR 100 F2.8 & FA 77 F1.8 Ltd. Also I use the TVa mode most often.

Last edited by honey bo bo; 11-22-2015 at 09:38 PM.
11-23-2015, 04:26 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I get sharpness consistently at F2.8 , 8 & 11 the stops that I use most. The focus confirm doesnt seem to have too much latitude for this lens. I have the shutter on focus priority all the time and I use the AF button for focusing so I dont get the shot until its in focus. I test with the 16 X magnifier in playback every so often to confirm the focus confirm is working because I only have one good eye and its getting tired. My good eye says sharpness from the 28 F2.8 is comparable to my DA WR 100 F2.8 & FA 77 F1.8 Ltd. Also I use the TVa mode most often.
Interesting I haven't used it on my K3 yet - only on the K5, where I found I had a fair amount of latitude on the focus confirmation. No problem with live view. Maybe it's a copy variation - I certainly wouldn't compare mine to the DA 100, though the images from it are pleasing. I do find the colour rendition interesting, though - it's quite a contrasty lens and in favourable lighting conditions, the saturation of colours is lovely...
11-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The A28 f2.8 is a reasonable lens, but it's lacking the pixie dust of the fa31. It would just become another item sitting on the shelf. The f2 version however is a little bit more exciting (but not as exciting as the 31 imho).
11-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting I haven't used it on my K3 yet - only on the K5, where I found I had a fair amount of latitude on the focus confirmation. No problem with live view. Maybe it's a copy variation - I certainly wouldn't compare mine to the DA 100, though the images from it are pleasing. I do find the colour rendition interesting, though - it's quite a contrasty lens and in favourable lighting conditions, the saturation of colours is lovely...
You know, I take it back. After reading your experiences with the Tak-A 28 F2.8, I went back to mine... still on the K5... I've carried out focus adjustment (-5), and I find I can nail it pretty well now! And yes - it *is* sharp. I still wouldn't compare it to the DFA100, but it's certainly good. You were right.

Wow, I need to spend a little more time with my other manual and auto-aperture 28s and see if I can get the same kind of improvement

11-23-2015, 10:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After reading your experiences with the Tak-A 28 F2.8, I went back to mine... still on the K5... I've carried out focus adjustment (-5), and I find I can nail it pretty well now!
Is that a global "-5" adjustment on the K5 ? (The cam can't recognize a particular A lens, right ?)
11-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Is that a global "-5" adjustment on the K5 ? (The cam can't recognize a particular A lens, right ?)
Correct
11-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Maybe this is a silly question, but it won't be my first, so here goes. I have the highly esteemed FA 31 limited, and am very pleased with my results from this lens. Is there any reason (other than obvious LBA) for adding the Pentax-A 28 mm f 2.8 to my collection? I am seeing an excellent-plus copy for around $100 including shipping.
FA31 is special but you can have A28 as a backup in situation when you don't want take out FA31, say rain photography. Btw, I did a small comparison of FA31 with M28 (not the A28), you might want to check https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/237093-wide...nt-brands.html
11-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #26
Veteran Member

still wouldn't compare it to the DFA100
My good eye has an ERROR FACTOR of + or - 36.3% so you could be right! Just say'n could be!
11-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

My good eye has an ERROR FACTOR of + or - 36.3% so you could be right! Just say'n could be!
LOL Well, with your one corrected eye, you'd achieved better results than I had with the 28. Now I know the necessary focus adjustment, I suspect I'll be getting a lot more from the lens. I've been snapping away with it just around the house, and I can reliably hit focus for the majority of shots - even at wider apertures
11-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL Well, with your one corrected eye, you'd achieved better results than I had with the 28. Now I know the necessary focus adjustment, I suspect I'll be getting a lot more from the lens. I've been snapping away with it just around the house, and I can reliably hit focus for the majority of shots - even at wider apertures
Live view with magnification turned on (buy a loupe/hood if you like) is great for manual lenses. The focus never needs adjustment like the Phase Detect confirmation system.
11-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

You know, I take it back. After reading your experiences with the Tak-A 28 F2.8, I went back to mine... still on the K5... I've carried out focus adjustment (-5), and I find I can nail it pretty well now! And yes - it *is* sharp. I still wouldn't compare it to the DFA100, but it's certainly good. You were right.

Wow, I need to spend a little more time with my other manual and auto-aperture 28s and see if I can get the same kind of improvement
Wow, I need to spend a little more time with my other manual and auto-aper
I dusted off another film era gem I haven't used for decades. Being a Takumar-A 28-80 Zoom Macro 3.5-4.5 adj fine focus on this one -5 and there is much more latitude with the focus confirm than the 28. After adjusting for the total 72.6% error field on my good eye The few pics I took are comparable to the 28 @28 mm on the Zoom and could be comp to some ones DFA 100
11-25-2015, 01:07 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Not much of a 28mm guy.
But I'd highly recommend the K28/3.5 if you are looking for landscape type shots.

Its has the IQ to match my DP1m (Foveon with matched fixed 28mm equivalent lens).

[/COLOR]

The 31ltd is special of course.
The Pentax 'draw' and generally pleasant bokeh in many situations.
Wide'ish, well built, optically nice, fast for a wide lens and AF