Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Decentered Takumar lens

Is there any way to fix a decentered Takumar lens ?

11-24-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure, but a little late to return it to the store...
11-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From what I know it is pretty difficult to decenter any takumar lens simple because of tight tolerances and full metal body and internal parts. whole optical groups are usually inside their sockets and c annot be positioned differently. Perhaps your copy suffers from a loose retaining ring or not tightened fully optical assembly somewhere inside? Some decentering can also be caused by the optical elements being rotated, where the sharpness plane is not square but optimized for 35mm horizontally oriented frame of film. It will probably take some know-how and loads of patience to center lens today with no access to the specialized equipment that Asahi was using back in their day...
11-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm not sure it the lens is really decentered or if its something else, but I can see a distinct blur on the left side of the lens.

11-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
I'm not sure it the lens is really decentered or if its something else, but I can see a distinct blur on the left side of the lens.
Maybe it suffered a knock or two before you got it and now the whole focusing assembly doesn't move with both front and rear optical groups perfectly paralleled ? I there any evidence of impact or a shock it might have suffered ? Also is there anything loose or rattling when you shake the lens - try and shake it in various directions.
11-24-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Maybe it suffered a knock or two before you got it and now the whole focusing assembly doesn't move with both front and rear optical groups perfectly paralleled ? I there any evidence of impact or a shock it might have suffered ? Also is there anything loose or rattling when you shake the lens - try and shake it in various directions.
No the lens looks like it's in very good condition.
11-24-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Does the glass look clean all the way through, when you look at a light source through it off-camera (try it from both ends)? Fungus can cause that kind of blurring. Can you post some examples?

11-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

What lens we talking about - can you show some photos of it and also some sample shots taken with it ?
11-24-2015, 01:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Right now I don't have access to all of my images taken with this lens. I do have one image that shows traces of the blurring and this is after I applied a ton of sharpening to it. The lens is a Takumar 24mm f3.5. Notice the bricks on the church how they fade in and out and the funky flares around the lights ?
Attached Images

11-24-2015, 02:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You're not giving much to go on here. What camera body was used? I don't know what decentering is supposed to look like (I never even heard of it until now), you say there is blurring on 'one side' but I see at least 2, maybe 3 distinct large blurry patches arrayed around the center of the shot. It looks a lot like some kind of grease smear, really bad fingerprinting and/or anti-reflection coating damaged by a solvent or over-zealous cleaning IMO. I suppose it could also be big drops of [rain?] water?
11-24-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If it's only grease or fingerprints that would be great ! I'm going to try cleaning the lens again then take it out tomorrow when the sun is out.
11-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

does the lens exhibit this on all pictures?
11-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The lens is a Takumar 24mm f3.5. Notice the bricks on the church how they fade in and out and the funky flares around the lights ?
Yes, I think that lens has some other problem.
Maybe pf member dcshooter will come on, or you can pm him.
11-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is another one. Notice the blurry tree to your far right and that blurry patch of grass a little passed the foreground.

I just finished cleaning the back lens which did look a little dinky, then took several shots indoors and all the pictures came out OK. I want to see how it performs outdoor, that's the real test.
Attached Images

Last edited by hjoseph7; 11-24-2015 at 07:33 PM.
11-25-2015, 12:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You probably got lens that someone was trying to clean inside and failed, looks like fingerprint grease on last or one before the last lens in the barrel- well only way to get it is to dissasembly the lens and then clean it with right cleaner(ipa for example), and get it into working order again. And that smuge appears to be big in the picture-on the lens it is probably around 2mm wide or less...