Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Update to the DA 12-24 coming?

Have been looking recently at getting something wider than my Tamron 17-50 for landscapes and travel photography. The DA 12-24 is on my short list of lenses but it's been around for awhile. I've read various rumors (stretching back a couple years) of it being either updated or possibly superseded by a yet unannounced DA 12-28. Does anyone have any new info on whether either of these might be happening within the first half of 2016?

11-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Below is the latest official info:
Pentax Lens Roadmap Updated - September 2015 - Pentax Announcements | PentaxForums.com

Everything else is speculation. IMO, the 12-24mm is a great lens and it's not going to get any worse even if something new comes out

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2015, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Haven't heard anything about a new wide-angle anytime soon.

* for APS-C that is.
11-27-2015, 01:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anthers Quote
Have been looking recently at getting something wider than my Tamron 17-50 for landscapes and travel photography. The DA 12-24 is on my short list of lenses but it's been around for awhile. I've read various rumors (stretching back a couple years) of it being either updated or possibly superseded by a yet unannounced DA 12-28. Does anyone have any new info on whether either of these might be happening within the first half of 2016?
There was rumors for sure and Tokina has released its 12-28 for quite some time already and the lens is on the roadmap as Adam showed. But this has been several years already.

The tokina indeed is a solid performance and the added range is really practical. Only issue: it is start to be big/heavy.

11-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Haven't heard anything about a new wide-angle anytime soon.

* for APS-C that is.
BTW, although all the attention is now focused on the FF, have you heard of anything new coming on the APS-C front, either in lenses (DA, DA*) or body (entry level to replace the K-50) ? Some lenses are certainly due for an update or redesign... For example, what about a fast focusing consumer grade motorized telephoto zoom to replace the 55-300, somewhat similar to the last Canon 55-250 ? I think that many people would be quite happy to have this option!

Even if the FF is coming, many of us will still be in the APS-C bandwagon for a long time! I hope Pentax doesn't forget us!
11-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
For example, what about a fast focusing consumer grade motorized telephoto zoom to replace the 55-300, somewhat similar to the last Canon 55-250 ? I think that many people would be quite happy to have this option! !
It's not on the roadmap, so don't hold your breath. The DA Wide zoom on the other hand is on the roadmap, has been for a long time.

We'll probably get a new roadmap in February...
11-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BTW, although all the attention is now focused on the FF, have you heard of anything new coming on the APS-C front, either in lenses (DA, DA*) or body (entry level to replace the K-50) ?
I thought that the K-S2 was the replacement for the K-50.

11-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I thought that the K-S2 was the replacement for the K-50.
The way I see it, the KS-2 has replaced the K-50 as a mid-level offering. But, instead of being discontinued, the K-50 has been demoted as an budget entry-level solution, where the K-S1 should have been. There's nothing basically wrong with the K-50, but it starts to show its age when compared to its youger competitors.
11-28-2015, 10:42 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses. I guess the DFA short zoom will (probably?) be a version of the Tamron 15-30?
11-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the K-50 has been demoted as an budget entry-level solution, where the K-S1 should have been
The K-S1's primary objective was to bring new DSLR users to the Pentax brand, users who were looking for a camera that could function as a fashion accessory while letting them take superiour pictures to a smartphone or point and shoot camera. It could be argued that such a market doesn't exist, or that the K-S1 doesn't function as a fashion accessory, but it doesn't have to be priced at the budget end of DSLRs because it is designed to appeal to people who would reject "normal" DSLRs. Pricing DSLRs at the entry level or budget level is rather confusing, partly because it isn't obvious what feature set is most attractive to new DSLR buyers and within Canon and Nikon (and now Pentax), there is more than one generation of camera models available for sale at the same time. At least the differences between the K-50 and K-S2 are clear and K-50 pricing is low enough that selling an even cheaper model (with less features) is not going to gain many new customers.

But to get back on topic, I think we aren't seeing that DA wide angle zoom on the market yet because it isn't an easy sale to existing Pentax users. There isn't a lot of pent up demand for a replacement to the DA 12-24 with an extra 4mm of focal length that isn't really that useful and UWA zoom users who want an in-lens focus motor can buy the Sigma 10-20 HSM.
11-28-2015, 07:14 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the DA 12-24, and would not trade it for a 12-28. Even on the K10 that I have replaced with a K3, cropping takes care of the extra 4 mm and allows for reasonable size enlargements.