Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider DA35/2.8, DA21 Limited, or FA28/2.8. The DA40 Limited is inexpensive and can be added on to the order.

11-28-2015, 09:25 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't recommend this lens highly enough, it is always in my camera bag "just in case". If you want that offers great results but is lightweight and compact, the 40mmm XS is the one to get

The 40mm XS was the first brand new prime I bought when I transitioned into a DSLR, There have been months where it has been the only lens on my camera because it is so versatile and sharp, I've even gotten some good impromptu portraits with no distortion and fine bokeh at f2.8. Except for those times when I need f1.8, I prefer it in situations where others might choose a 50mm.

The 40mm XS is so compact, the most compact of any "pancake" lenses and it makes my K-5 as agile as a point and shoot, and is so light that I can easily hang it off a wrist strap or keep at least one hand free for other things. I can slide that combination of lens and camera into cargo pants pockets or large jacket pockets, a boon for travelers and sightseers.

I've walked all over city streets using this lens, and its unobtrusive size makes it a great street photography option.
11-28-2015, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sold off my 35 plastic fantastic and kept my SMC DA 40. The 35 was nice, the 40 was nicer. The size and feel may have influenced me, but the rendering sold me. The short intimate portrait use and all around long normal use are nice. Now that I have the 31 the 40 is more complementary than when I had the 35 and they stepped on one another. Honestly there are so many lenses and so many combos it's silly to try to say what will work for another person. What I can say is that 40/50 or 35/40 is too close. 31/40 seems a bit less awkward but 31/50 is better. I often carry 15/31/70 or 15/31/77 where I used to carry 15/40/70 before I got the 31 and 77. I have also carried (as mentioned earlier) the 31/50 (F f/1.7) / 77 combo in low light where limited zooming with the feet was an option - like a stage performance where you aren't sure what seat you will have and photography is permitted.

The fact is looking over the lenses of the OP the 40 doesn't fit well. But that doesn't stop LBA... . If I were in the OP's shoes and the 50 already had earned a place on my camera almost all the time but I felt it was too long - I would be looking hard at the 35 2.4 and the 21 3.2 or more likely a 2.8 17-50 zoom since interior shots are harder to zoom with the feet.

---------- Post added 11-28-15 at 11:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I can't recommend this lens highly enough, it is always in my camera bag "just in case". If you want that offers great results but is lightweight and compact, the 40mmm XS is the one to get

The 40mm XS was the first brand new prime I bought when I transitioned into a DSLR, There have been months where it has been the only lens on my camera because it is so versatile and sharp, I've even gotten some good impromptu portraits with no distortion and fine bokeh at f2.8. Except for those times when I need f1.8, I prefer it in situations where others might choose a 50mm.

The 40mm XS is so compact, the most compact of any "pancake" lenses and it makes my K-5 as agile as a point and shoot, and is so light that I can easily hang it off a wrist strap or keep at least one hand free for other things. I can slide that combination of lens and camera into cargo pants pockets or large jacket pockets, a boon for travelers and sightseers.

I've walked all over city streets using this lens, and its unobtrusive size makes it a great street photography option.

This is another true statement. I adore my SMC DA 40 for the same reasons but the FA 50 isn't that much larger so the utility of it for the OP is where I question the use. I like the perspective of the 40 on APSC - I'm honestly amazed by people who say it is awkward - older cameras often came with 58mm "normal" lenses and the 40 is roughly a 60mm equivalent which says to me people are looking for reasons to dislike it.
11-28-2015, 10:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I like the perspective of the 40 on APSC - I'm honestly amazed by people who say it is awkward - older cameras often came with 58mm "normal" lenses and the 40 is roughly a 60mm equivalent which says to me people are looking for reasons to dislike it.
But going by your signature line, you're a significantly older photographer with significantly more ocular mileage who probably has a lot of working familiarity with that focal length. Others, raised on 50mm as normal, possibly find the 58mm FOV a bit "tight" in that context.

I must admit, though, it seems like a very odd focal length - significantly longer than "physiological normal (43mm)" - and sometimes I wonder if there's truth to the rumour that it was chosen because the optical-design mathematics fortuitously worked out more easily for that FL than any other.

When I first bought the DA40 Limited, I was ignorant of crop factor; I just thought it was a really neat short (in the physical sense) prime that took great photos. The more you know, the more you can get paralysed by (in)decisions sometimes.

11-28-2015, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got one of those 40 XS lenses that were going for under $100 on Amazon from Electronics Basket. (I see that they are now at $106 which is still an awfully good price. BTW, mine came with all official packaging and documentation of a new and original Pentax lens. I don't know if there is some way to determine 'gray' market, but I can't tell from what I received.)
I have the 35 f2.4 and the 50 f1.8, so I didn't really need this 40 XS, but it is stunningly small. If I'm going out and trying to stay light by just using my 18-135 for an all-purpose lens, I won't think twice about slipping this lens in my pocket to get some prime quality. (The 35 and 50 are small, but they won't slip in my pocket.) From some quick trials, this 40 XS is on par with both the 35 and 50. The main question is the focal length. The 50 has always felt just a bit long on APS-C, and I was happier with the 35mm, so I'm hoping this 40mm will do the job.
So, in relation to the OP's question who already has the FA 50, the reason to get the 40 XS is simply the convenience of the size. Otherwise, like others, I'd recommend the DA 21 (which I have and like) or DA 15 (which I don't have but tempts me) or go full out fisheye like the Rokinon/Bower 8mm for a real alternative.
11-28-2015, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

To me, the XS is just a novelty now. It's a great lens, and I think it's very nice to have when you don't want to have to deal with bulk. Other than that, there isn't really much that I can think of to recommend this lens over the other lenses mentioned by others in here. I find myself using my DA 35mm Ltd more now just for the versatility and the little extra space it affords over the 40mm.

But like I said, it's a great lens <- bunch of portraits that I took with the lens.
11-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm honestly amazed by people who say it is awkward - older cameras often came with 58mm "normal" lenses and the 40 is roughly a 60mm equivalent .
Yes, I hear you. I don't consider it awkward per se, but I do prefer the wide end of normal to the long end, at least for a one lens walkaround kit.

Which is one reason why I would love a modern DA 28ish f/2.8ish the size of the 21/43/70 lenses!

Or, to come at it another way, a FF body so I can use the 43 at its native FL!

11-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
I don't consider it awkward per se, but I do prefer the wide end of normal to the long end, at least for a one lens walkaround kit.
As a shooter who prefers wider angle lenses, I understand your point of view. recently I noticed that while I like a wide angle to take in the whole scene, I actually find myself cropping quite a bit to emphasize whatever it was that caught my eye in the first place, sometimes subconsciously. None of that invalidates a preference of one lens's FOV over another's.
11-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
But going by your signature line, you're a significantly older photographer with significantly more ocular mileage who probably has a lot of working familiarity with that focal length. Others, raised on 50mm as normal, possibly find the 58mm FOV a bit "tight" in that context.

I must admit, though, it seems like a very odd focal length - significantly longer than "physiological normal (43mm)" - and sometimes I wonder if there's truth to the rumour that it was chosen because the optical-design mathematics fortuitously worked out more easily for that FL than any other.

When I first bought the DA40 Limited, I was ignorant of crop factor; I just thought it was a really neat short (in the physical sense) prime that took great photos. The more you know, the more you can get paralysed by (in)decisions sometimes.
Lol. My first 50 was a 50mm I never used anything longer that was less than an 85mm until I got my 35-135 zoom (my first zoom).
10-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #25

Original Poster
Very very late reply but thank you all for your help! I decided against getting the 40mm and have been scoping out for some deals on a 21mm, 31mm/35mm these days.
10-03-2017, 10:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Well you got in under the two-year limit for responding. The decision was long in coming, but is the right one.

I love my DA 40xs, but see absolutely no reason to try to extend its capability to FF. The body is huge, the little lens is capable on crop, but much like the m40 upon which it is based, not a good choice for FF. You love the FF FA 50, and you would be unsatisfied with the only slightly wider 40mm. The better choices are at 35mm, and the FA35 especially gives you a far better prime step. You will notice a different character to the FA 35, more film like with better bokeh (much like the 40s, but far sharper into the corners). Not as sharp or contrasty in the center compared to any of the 50s, but more natural overall. It might be tempting to go with the DA 35 to save a few dollars, but the FA 35 will be far superior into the corners. Despite the myth forwarded here, the DA vs. FA 35 are not at all similar, especially into the corners (even on crop, let alone FF).
10-05-2017, 12:42 AM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Well you got in under the two-year limit for responding. The decision was long in coming, but is the right one.

I love my DA 40xs, but see absolutely no reason to try to extend its capability to FF. The body is huge, the little lens is capable on crop, but much like the m40 upon which it is based, not a good choice for FF. You love the FF FA 50, and you would be unsatisfied with the only slightly wider 40mm. The better choices are at 35mm, and the FA35 especially gives you a far better prime step. You will notice a different character to the FA 35, more film like with better bokeh (much like the 40s, but far sharper into the corners). Not as sharp or contrasty in the center compared to any of the 50s, but more natural overall. It might be tempting to go with the DA 35 to save a few dollars, but the FA 35 will be far superior into the corners. Despite the myth forwarded here, the DA vs. FA 35 are not at all similar, especially into the corners (even on crop, let alone FF).
Thanks for letting me know! I noticed the price difference and some of the reviews i've found online definitely tend to favor the DA 35 but I think i'll keep my eyes peeled for the FA version. Have you come across the Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC by any chance? In case I got the "DC" part mixed up, it's the model before the the newest "Art" version. Found one running under ~$200 and was considering it against the Pentax 35mm lenses and am wondering if it would be comparable as i've never handled any of these lenses before. It seems promising from reviews and photos but it sounds like you have experience with the DA/FA 35's.
10-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Lea, I know a lot of folks swear by that Sigma 30, and are especially fond of it for its sharpness in the center especially. I've seen a lot of fine images taken with it, and much like my Sigma 17-50, it just doesn't impress as much as tests indicate due to the neutral-to-cool coloration and sense of depth somewhat lacking. I like the warmth found on most of the Pentax lenses, even if they might not have the highest sharpness. Also, keep in mind that the Sigma is a somewhat wide angle lens designed only for crop sensors. I would be very surprised if the corner sharpness and light fall off holds up well on full frame.

Others with direct experience might have a different viewpoint.
10-05-2017, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
....., keep in mind that the Sigma is a somewhat wide angle lens designed only for crop sensors. I would be very surprised if the corner sharpness and light fall off holds up well on full frame.

Others with direct experience might have a different viewpoint.
The Sigma 30mm non-Art is a great lens, especially if used as a walk-around objective for low-light/night photography.
It is NOT a full frame lens though!
Of all the primes for cropped sensor, it's one of worst choices, if you have in mind to force it on FF.
The corners are already weak on APS-C!

To each its own:
the FA 2/35mm is a good, compact lens on FF
the Sigma 1.4/30mm is a very good (and very peculiar) lens on APS-C

Cheers

Paolo