Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sigma 24-60 f2.8 - some test shots

Hi all! So perhaps some of you may remember that I had bought the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 but had some front focusing issues. Still considering keeping it, but thought it would be a good idea to give the Sigma a try. First off, the weight difference is significant, with the Sigma being noticeably heavier. I found that manual focus on the Tammy to be smoother, less notchy than the sigma...so I preferred the tammy. The zoom on the sigma is pretty tight too, so again, advantage tammy. Close focusing on the tammy is also superior, but by quite a bit. I also like the bokeh better... and of course the range is superior too.

Here's a link to the tamron thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/30203-test-sho...75-f2-8-a.html

Can you geuss which lens I like better? But then there's still the front focusing issue.... perhaps with another copy it will be better. I'm thinking this is the route for me to go, but thought I'd post some pics using the Sig.

Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 24 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 45 mm

Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)
Aperture: f/5

Exposure: 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture: f/4.5

06-27-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the last shop is a killer....
really great shot. Do you think 24-60 is better then 24-70?
06-27-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I agree! Your car vagrant? I'm thinking of putting some plastic on my M6 too.
06-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one is amazing.. Loved the lighting..

06-27-2008, 05:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DJey Quote
This one is amazing.. Loved the lighting..
Agree. This shot is stellar. Love the tire marks on the pavement too...looks like some 360's were happening just before the shot was taken.

It looks like some people were in the shot to the rear on the right side. A touch distracting, but only very marginally.

Great shot!

c[_]
06-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Hi all! So perhaps some of you may remember that I had bought the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 but had some front focusing issues.
I read through the entirety of both threads. I am stuck on something. If you know it's the Tammy that is front-focusing, why not send it in under warranty for adjustment and calibration?

I recently purchases one and it had a lazy iris. I didn't bother sending it back to the vendor. I figure the evil I know is better than the evil I don't. I also figured it was a golden opportunity to get it calibrated by the techs. So I sent it in and asked them to repair the iris and to also check FF/BF and calibrate and adjust. I got a call a couple of weeks later from a tech who informed me it was going back to Japan and I'd get it back shortly.

Sure enough. It came back after about a month and it works flawlessly. Focuses perfectly 1/3 front 2/3 back, and is dead center on the chart as far as I can tell.

The whole thing was rather painless and while I, like you, purchased another alternative, it is folly to let it sit around uncorrected... and with use I've come to like the Tammy better than the alternative anyway. The alternative is now rlegated to my film camera since it is a full-frame lens.

At a minimum sell the Tammy cheap while under warranty so someone else can get the work done.

woof!
06-27-2008, 08:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
really great shot. Do you think 24-60 is better then 24-70?
Thanks, I was pretty happy with how the lighting worked out on that shot... I ended up using an nd gradient filter (sorry for botching the name of the filter ) to get the clouds to be a bit more dramatic. It was an overcast night, but then the sun broke through a gap in the clouds and there it was. My car is my second hobby/ vice, so it's nice that my two main hobbies compliment each other Unfortunately, they both cost a lot so it's always a battle: car mod money or camera gear.

Regarding whether I like the Sigma more than the Tamron... I like the imaging of the Tamron better... the bokeh and the rendering seem superior to me. I ran a couple tests shooting a wall w/ both lenses and the sigma, though darker at identical settings on the cam, was a bit sharper, particularly in the corners. It was far from being a "scientific test" - ie no tripod. I'll be doing another test today, so I'll have a better understanding of my preferences later. Overall, the build quality and the extra range on the zoom end along with my liking the image better on the tammy leave me leaning that way. Anyways, I'll update this thread probably tomorrow.
06-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentagor Quote
I agree! Your car vagrant? I'm thinking of putting some plastic on my M6 too.
You have a mazda6 too??? Cool! As for plastic, most of the body bits are stock except for some small stuff like eyelids and a new grill. I've changed most of the lights and some other electrical stuff, but nothing major. You ever go to mazda6club? Lots of cool how-to's and helpful members there if you're interested.

06-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Agree. This shot is stellar. Love the tire marks on the pavement too...looks like some 360's were happening just before the shot was taken.

It looks like some people were in the shot to the rear on the right side. A touch distracting, but only very marginally.

Great shot!

c[_]
Tire marks weren't mine... won't catch me doing doughnuts on the 6th story of a parking garage!!! The thought of my car going over the edge (w/ me in it) makes my stomach turn... I love this parking garage... it's very new and it's hardly used up top so it makes for some decent pic taking opportunities.

I think that thing you're seeing behind the car is a house, but I see what you mean; it does look like a couple people.

Anyways, thanks for commenting and your compliments!