Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4 screw mount M42 vs XR Rikenon 1:1.7 50mm vs Smc pentax-A 1:2. 5

I have a k 50 with 18-55 and 50-200 and would like to expand my sphere in manual focus photography with a 50 mm prime. What would be the most reasonable option? The obvious choice would be the Takumar 50 mm F 1.4 with an adapter but it's price is exceeding Pentax 50mm SMC DA f1.8. Would appreciate any wise counsel

11-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Go for the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 instead. Manual focus, but still a gem and easy to use thanks to its "A" setting on the diaphragm ring. The SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/2 is not bad either so grab it if it's cheap enough.

...But the 50mm f/1.4 SMC Takumar will outlast all of them because it's the best built of the bunch.
11-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My advice to you would be to forego the Takumar for a while and find a corresponding Pentax A lens as your stepping stone towards Takumar territory. With the Takumar, you have to deal with two things - the manual focus, and the fact that your viewfinder gets ever dimmer as you stop down. In my mind, that's trying to run before you can walk. Get a Pentax A lens and you can still control aperture through the camera body and meter wide-open; this will make your first steps in MF much smaller and easier to handle. The Rikenon is also good, but metering requires use of the Green button, which is not a hassle once you get used to it. That being said, if you get a good copy the build quality of the Rikenons is absolutely beautiful; my 50/1.7 is a bit loose and sloppy on the focusing ring but my 28/2.8 and my 55/1.2P are mechanical works of art and show what is possible.

If you want more or less full control of the lens through the camera, but just want to focus manually, get the Pentax A; if you want to use the aperture ring yourself, get the Rikenon. Let the Takumar go for now. Remember also that some of the Takumars had thorium elements and are mildly radioactive, with yellow discoloration of the affected elements that will require exposure to UV light to remove. The radioactivity may or may not be an issue for you; the yellowing almost certainly will be unless the previous owner has recently got rid of it.
11-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K mount version will save you the cost of an adapter.
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

11-29-2015, 11:12 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
The K mount version will save you the cost of an adapter.
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Thanks, all but the Takumar are K mounts.

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 06:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Go for the SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 instead. Manual focus, but still a gem and easy to use thanks to its "A" setting on the diaphragm ring. The SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/2 is not bad either so grab it if it's cheap enough.

...But the 50mm f/1.4 SMC Takumar will outlast all of them because it's the best built of the bunch.
Thanks, Pentax A 50mm f1.7 is not an option.
11-29-2015, 11:22 AM   #6
KDD
Veteran Member

I have FA/DA 50MM. I prefer DA 50 1.8. MF 50MM os boring for adjust focus!!
11-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pgaikwad Quote
Thanks, all but the Takumar are K mounts.

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 06:15 PM ----------

Okay. My mistake. From your first post "The obvious choice would be the Takumar 50 mm F 1.4 with an adapter but it's price is exceeding Pentax 50mm SMC DA f1.8" and thread title "SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4 screw mount M42 vs XR Rikenon 1:1.7 50mm vs Smc pentax-A 1:2. 5" I assumed you were looking at an M42 version. Like this Takumar: SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

11-29-2015, 11:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of those three, I would choose the Rikenon and use Green Button / Stop Down Lever metering.
11-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
My advice to you would be to forego the Takumar for a while and find a corresponding Pentax A lens as your stepping stone towards Takumar territory. With the Takumar, you have to deal with two things - the manual focus, and the fact that your viewfinder gets ever dimmer as you stop down. In my mind, that's trying to run before you can walk. Get a Pentax A lens and you can still control aperture through the camera body and meter wide-open; this will make your first steps in MF much smaller and easier to handle. The Rikenon is also good, but metering requires use of the Green button, which is not a hassle once you get used to it. That being said, if you get a good copy the build quality of the Rikenons is absolutely beautiful; my 50/1.7 is a bit loose and sloppy on the focusing ring but my 28/2.8 and my 55/1.2P are mechanical works of art and show what is possible.

If you want more or less full control of the lens through the camera, but just want to focus manually, get the Pentax A; if you want to use the aperture ring yourself, get the Rikenon. Let the Takumar go for now. Remember also that some of the Takumars had thorium elements and are mildly radioactive, with yellow discoloration of the affected elements that will require exposure to UV light to remove. The radioactivity may or may not be an issue for you; the yellowing almost certainly will be unless the previous owner has recently got rid of it.
Thanks, I get the drift. Perhaps Takumar will have to wait for another day and that Thorium thing seems to be giving some creeps ...I have no experience with MF lenses so, is it very complex to adjust the aperture through the ring rather than a dial on the camera while trying to set other exposure settings? What would you say on the glass quality of XR Rikenon 50 mm F 1.7 vs Pentax A 50 mm f2?

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Okay. My mistake. From your first post "The obvious choice would be the Takumar 50 mm F 1.4 with an adapter but it's price is exceeding Pentax 50mm SMC DA f1.8" and thread title "SMC Takumar 50mm F1.4 screw mount M42 vs XR Rikenon 1:1.7 50mm vs Smc pentax-A 1:2. 5" I assumed you were looking at an M42 version. Like this Takumar: SMC/S-M-C/Super Takumar 50mm F1.4 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Normal Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
No worries.

---------- Post added 11-29-15 at 06:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Of those three, I would choose the Rikenon and use Green Button / Stop Down Lever metering.
Thanks, after some positive responses, Rikenon is a serious contender.
11-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

that Thorium thing seems to be giving some creeps
Consider that the rear element was sitting much closer to the film than it was to the user, and film is significantly more sensitive to ionising radiation. Unless you cradle it tightly against your gonads or use it constantly every day dawn-to-dusk, it's probably not going to harm you or anyone else. I own one and have no problems with it, scientifically or philosophically, but others may not be so cool, calm and collected about these things.
11-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Consider that the rear element was sitting much closer to the film than it was to the user, and film is significantly more sensitive to ionising radiation. Unless you cradle it tightly against your gonads or use it constantly every day dawn-to-dusk, it's probably not going to harm you or anyone else. I own one and have no problems with it, scientifically or philosophically, but others may not be so cool, calm and collected about these things.
Well, the gonads have lived past their utility but now the closest thing to the lens will be my other ball (right eye with an already deteriorating vision)! I do get work related radiation exposure which I have occasionally brazened out. Surely, a little dash of Thorium will not harm as much as some people around us.
11-29-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the gonads have lived past their utility but now the closest thing to the lens will be my other ball (right eye with an already deteriorating vision)! I do get work related radiation exposure which I have occasionally brazened out. Surely, a little dash of Thorium will not harm as much as some people around us.
I believe the considered wisdom is you receive more 'harmful' radiation in one airline flight than you get from a year of holding the camera and lens to your face daily.