Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Newbie question: does the metal ring on 60-250mm lens come off?

sorry for the question. I just got the lens -- kinda hefty. In any case, I have managed to take off the L shaped tripod support thingy. Does the cast iron metal ring come off as well off the lens or I am stuck carrying it even when not using a tripod ?

Thanks a lot.

12-01-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redridinghood Quote
sorry for the question. I just got the lens -- kinda hefty. In any case, I have managed to take off the L shaped tripod support thingy. Does the cast iron metal ring come off as well off the lens or I am stuck carrying it even when not using a tripod ?

Thanks a lot.
I'm pretty sure it stays on, but you should be able to rotate it so that it's not in the way.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It stays on. The weight is primarily in that expensive glass more than the sturdy ring.
It's a great lens, enjoy!

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 12-01-2015 at 09:38 PM.
12-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redridinghood Quote

Thanks a lot.
Correct. The entire point of that system is to allow you an easier to carry option than the traditional ring by having only the foot removable.

12-02-2015, 04:58 AM   #5

Enjoy the "heavy" lens. I always found (and swear by) a weighted lens/camera. It gives more stability to your photos when hand-holding. When you shoot with weight while using a long lens you will be in a better position to get that shot compared to someone doing the same with a much lighter lens and camera. It may be the "old school" photographer in me that claims that but it is def an advantage and will allow you to get away with a slower shutter speed compared to a lighter lens and camera. Of course tripods will solve that but weight is an advantage when you do not have a tripod or its not feasible to use one. I love my Tokina AT-X Pro 80-200 f2.8 which weighs in at 1350g (3lbs), the "tank" is solid and heavy. I tuck my elbow in (against my body) for support and allows me to "cheat" the Shutter-speed inverse focal length rule of thumb.