Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2008, 07:14 AM   #1

Weather sealed multi purpose lens

Maybe its my inexperience, but the freedom of a weather sealed lens and body would be very much complimented by it being a walkwaround lens like a 18-250mm (or a bit shorter).
I think a lens like this would be a very usefull tool. I'm not saying it has to be top notch quality, after all it is general purpose lens. With the current line-up of sealed lenses, you do get good optical quality, but maybe you'd rather have a more versatile lens instead (I know I would), and whats more versatile than a high zoom range sealed lens?

Do you think they might be thinking about? Could there be an issue with the lens range philosophy. The current 18-250 is pretty good but its no *'ed lenses class. Only these latter lenses are sealed and they are also higher quality (QC probs aside). Hence a top quality lens that goes 18 to 250 with weather sealing would come with a prohibitive price tag. Maybe a 18-200/150?

What are your thoughts on this?

06-27-2008, 08:22 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An 18-250mm and weather sealed would be great..
06-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

for it to be sealed, it has to be internal zoom and internal focusing... i believe. which would dictate a very large lens
06-27-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The 16-50mm isn't internal zooming, but it's sealed so......

06-27-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OniFactor Quote
for it to be sealed, it has to be internal zoom and internal focusing... i believe. which would dictate a very large lens
no it doesn't, and there have been reviews about some sealed lenses and the ability of them to push air past the body seals when zooming especially.

to be blunt, if you need that much sealing, you should not be relying on the camera, protect it in stead