Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fungus?

I was given another A50 1:2 lens today and was going to put it up for sale to anyone who would want to have one. However I just noticed this on the lens:

Should I just chuck it or sell it for cheap? Keep it for parts in case my other A50 1:2 goes kaput? It doesn't seem to be affecting image quality:

Thanks for the help!

06-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Sell it "as new", but not here on the forums. Problem solved.
06-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It's hard to tell for sure from the picture, but it does look like fungus. It should be easy enough to clean off at this point. But I would always disclose that the lens had fungus if I were to try and sell it.
06-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
Inactive Account

If it's fungus - that's the least of your worries....I'd be more concerned about the red circle on the lens. It looks pretty permanent.

c[_]

06-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The spot is on the inside portion of the front element. I think I will try to do the sunlight bake off thing next week to see if it will clear it up. I currently have it in a box with an industrial size dessicate bag.
06-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
The spot is on the inside portion of the front element. I think I will try to do the sunlight bake off thing next week to see if it will clear it up. I currently have it in a box with an industrial size dessicate bag.
Don't waste your time. If it was fungus, it won't go away by the above method. The surface of the element needs to be cleaned, which might mean opening up the lens. If it was fungus I would suggest you separate the lens from your other lenses.
06-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #7

and ....can it be internal dust?
06-28-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Slightly Off Topic question here...

Can modern lenses get fungus as well? Or do modern coatings prevent that from happening?

06-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I wouldn't want to find out the hard way Dan,
It really isn't all that hard to store a lens properly, and if you do I would at least hope it never develops any fungus
06-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

It might just be dust.......

If it is fungus (often the tell tale is some spiderwebby stuff in the vicinity, I'd pitch the lens. That one isn't valuable enough to make cleaning worthwhile. To get rid of fungus, the entire lens requires dissasembly, and all parts need to be cleaned, not just the glass. One spore can cause a recurrence, one spore trasferred to the outside of the lens during cleaning can cause all your equipment to be infected.
If the lens was less common, I'd say get it cleaned, bit not for a 50mm f/2.
06-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
One spore can cause a recurrence, one spore trasferred to the outside of the lens during cleaning can cause all your equipment to be infected.
Not really, the spores are everywhere anyway (well, probably not in the clean room I used to work in... but you get the idea). More important is storing the lenses dry. The spores will not germinate without water.

It's not the bubonic plague!

QuoteQuote:
If the lens was less common, I'd say get it cleaned, bit not for a 50mm f/2.
Indeed, but it is all part of the learning process - you never know when you will need to open a lens and a practice lens is always useful ;-)

Richard
06-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
If it's fungus - that's the least of your worries....I'd be more concerned about the red circle on the lens. It looks pretty permanent.

c[_]

You got me on that one! I went back to see what ring you were talking about.
06-28-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Looks like dust to me. There also appears to be another spot to the right of the big red circle.

If you were ever curious about how a lens is put together, this would be the time to experiment. Cheap lens, easy fix if it's just dust, and if the operation is a failure, minimal financial hit.
06-28-2008, 11:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like I may be doing some lens surgery for learning purposes. Anyone have a manual or some sort of guide for this lens that I may reference?
06-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I had a SMC-A 70-210 f/4 zoom that was my introduction to fungus. It still worked okay even though it was covered, it just reduced the contrast some. I was quoted a price of $90 for cleaning but I declined. I either sold it cheap or gave it away. It was a nice lens other than that.