Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Filters for Tamron Adaptal II 300mm 2.8?

Anyone know where to get a 43mm polarizing filter for the filter insert for a Tamron Adaptall II 300mm 2.8 lens? I have the skylight filter in it now but would like a polarizer. Thanks for any help.

06-27-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Anyone know where to get a 43mm polarizing filter for the filter insert for a Tamron Adaptall II 300mm 2.8 lens? I have the skylight filter in it now but would like a polarizer. Thanks for any help.
I've seen them for Canon specific mounts:
Tamron | Circular Polarizer Glass Filter - for 300/2.8 | F96400

Perhaps try looking at the used sections of Adorama, B&H, and KEH? Best of luck in your search!

Regards,
Marc
06-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Any place that carries Hoya, Tiffen, B+W or any other good quality filter brand should be able to order it for you if they don't have stock. B&H has a selection 43mm | B&H Photo Video

as does Adorama 43mm polarizer
06-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I wonder if the rear filter holder would take a circular polorizer? The problem I have heard is that some of the filters are too thick to fit in the rear holder. The front filter is a 112mm one and they get pretty expensive. I guess I will call them.

06-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
Thanks guys. I wonder if the rear filter holder would take a circular polorizer? The problem I have heard is that some of the filters are too thick to fit in the rear holder. The front filter is a 112mm one and they get pretty expensive. I guess I will call them.
Speaking as an owner of a 43mm CPL for my FA* 300/2.8, it's much, much better to have that - easier to carry, etc. However, I paid over $200 for my unit, since it's unique and it's the complete setup of CPL and drop in filter holder.

Regards,
Marc
06-29-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Speaking as an owner of a 43mm CPL for my FA* 300/2.8, it's much, much better to have that - easier to carry, etc. However, I paid over $200 for my unit, since it's unique and it's the complete setup of CPL and drop in filter holder.

Regards,
Marc
Yes, I think I will look for the 43mm one.
Steve
10-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #7

i am haveing the same problem. i've been looking for several months now and i'm no newbee to this game.i've tried a normal 43mm and they don't fit,near as i can tell it has to be made by tamron and that ship has sailed. it also depends on which model tanrom 300/2.8 you have, i think the new ones accept a standard 43mm filter. mine is an adaptall II also if you find something tell me and i find something i will certainly get in touch.

10-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Have you considered contacting S.K. Grimes in Woonsocket, Rhode Island to see if they will fabricate a rear filter holder that will accept the B&W circular polarizer??..

Bruce
10-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #9

i have the holder, actually two, what i need are the filters to fit.

are you suggesting that the holder can be reconfigured by these guys to accept a standard size filter.....eh?

10-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by corvus Quote
i have the holder, actually two, what i need are the filters to fit.

are you suggesting that the holder can be reconfigured by these guys to accept a standard size filter.....eh?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that is what I was suggesting..

That there "might" be enough room, side-to-side, within the opening in the lens that accepts the filter drawer to allow fabrication of a rear filter drawer that would accept a standard 43mm B&W or Heliopan circular polarizing filter..

Other options might be available that I'm unaware of..

Shoot them an e-mail stating your needs..

S.K. Grimes Services for Large Format Photographers, CNC Photographer's Machinist

Good luck!!

Bruce
12-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #11

i solved the problem. one of the people on the forum suggested that i get the holder modified but i thought, would it not be easier to modify the filter. turns out it's a lot cheaper also. i bought a hoya c-pol filter because the are reasonable quality and they are made with aluminum, an easy metal to work with. i made two masks from heavy card stock, cut just right for a friction fit on the front and taped on the back.the front being the rotating portion and the back being the side with the threads.i used a two inch wide second cut flat (bastard) file. i placed the file across my knees and stroked the filter on the file. i was very careful not to loose the mask from the glass and rotated the filter about 30 degrees after each stroke to keep it even all the way around.i measured it with a micrometer every once in a while, we are looking for the same distance as the back of the holder to the top of that little shoulder that fits into the lens, a wee bit less than 7mil.the job took me about two hours and it worked like a charm. like i said i was very careful, i am a patient man. be sure not to touch the card stock mask, hold the filter only on the ring or you will ruin the multi-coat.
please get in touch if you have any questions, good luck