Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
I'm not sure I want to be pointing a non-WR lens upward into snowfall without one though!
Well, if the snow is coming down that heavy, even with a protective filter on, I would imagine the snow would collect or at least hit the filter and cause spots wouldn't it?

12-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
That looks like Newton's Rings. I've never noticed it with my gear, but astrophotography forums have discussions of the problem. Also see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings

Does interval composite save each subframe in addition to the final composite? If yes, do you see the rings in the subframes?
Deadjohn. The interval composite shooting mode can be set to save all the sub frames, which I did. Like I said earlier the rings are present on all the frames, they just become more pronounced as the shoot goes on.

Evan
12-06-2015, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjovolde Quote
more pronounced as the shoot goes on
prolly additive from each frame and would believe the UV filter has everything to do with them occurring
12-07-2015, 07:37 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Well, if the snow is coming down that heavy, even with a protective filter on, I would imagine the snow would collect or at least hit the filter and cause spots wouldn't it?
Yup! And you can see a few spots on the shots I posted. More realistically though, if there was enough cloud cover for snow there wouldn't be much aurora to shoot.
'

12-07-2015, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #20

When trying to shoot stars without trails, you should use '500' rule for setting the length of exposure. Since you are using 28mm focal length, the longest exposure you should be using should be 500/28 ~= 17.85s. I see that you are using 20s which might be the issue here.
Can you try again?

PS: Am no expert, but have had lots of images with star trails and this 500 rule has helped me eliminate this in the past.