Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Super Macro Takumar 50/4 field experience

I had borrowed this screw mount lens with the adapter for few days..

Its an excellent lens, but exposes correctly only wide open on my K10D..it progressively underexposes with smaller apertures..Also, it cannot focus to infinity with the adapter..

however, I got perfect exposure with this setting- camera- Av mode, Built in flash +1 value, ISO 100, SS- 1/180, f16..It gave me great results everytime..In M mode, the cam doesn't recognise the flash and gives very slow shutterspeed causing blur..

here are few of the shots-

CR_IMGP3448_crop1.5.jpg (image)

CR1_IMGP3423_crop.66fullS.jpg (image)

CR_IMGP3426-1_crop1.35S.jpg (image)

Last edited by hrishi; 06-28-2008 at 03:27 AM.
06-28-2008, 08:27 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Using an m42 lens such as the SMC-ST 50/4, you should always use Av mode.

It's a beautiful lens, though. I don't do macro a lot, but love the results when I use this lens.
06-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It sounds like you got a cheep third party adapter there, which is why it won't focus to infinity. It's just a little too far away from the sensor
If you decide to buy this lens I suggest tat you buy a genuine Pentax adapter, and you should be fine.

As for the exposure. I find that every lens in my collection registers this differently. Screwmounts seem to be the worst.
I wouldn't worry about it, since I really don't think that you can do all that much to fix it.
It sounds like you know how to adjust this already.
06-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Genuine Pentax adaptor is worth the few extra $$$$$.
I have 2 ... and they work extremely well ... and no need for a tool to remove it from the camer if needed.

I found with metering though ... Manual and green button seems to be spot on for me ... using AV mode ... i find the metering can be off in different degrees with different screwmount lenses used.

I have never tried flash photography with my M42s yet.

06-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Genuine Pentax adaptor is worth the few extra $$$$$.

Any idea how much do they cost? I'm offered this lens for $88 along with the adapter..Interestingly, there is another lens - Super takumar 85/1.9 which I'm offered along with this one for $50..even that lens has metering problems..

However, I have decided not to buy these lenses- The 50/4, though a macro overlaps with the FA 50/1.4 without replacing it. So I might as well look for a used 100mm macro in future. I won't die without macro till then.

I have never tried flash photography with my M42s yet.
Oh you should try..

I have started to believe in the power of flash photography and am kind of learning to use the built-in flash to optimum results..

I need a powerful flashgun. I was offered the SUnpak 422D which was a very good flashgun for $100, but while testing it, it's light suddenly blew off.. Now I'll have to go to Mumbai to repair it..hope everything goes fine n the owner doesnt realise what happened! :ugh:

anyways, here are more images from the SUper takumar macro 50/4..

CR_IMGP3463_crop1.33S.jpg (image)

CR_IMGP3410S.jpg (image)

CR_IMGP3429_crop.75S.jpg (image)

CR_IMGP3442_crop.75S.jpg (image)

CR_IMGP3501_cropS.jpg (image)
06-28-2008, 11:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I say get the 85mm f/1.9 ... it's a stellar lens when you get used to using it ... I love mine to bits. I paid a hell of a lot more than what you were offered for it.

I think I paid about $15-20US for a Genuine Pentax adaptor.

I also have a Sigma DG 530 Super Flash that I have used and love with my other AF lenses ... I just haven't played with manual flash use.
06-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
q10

i paid $50 for my SMC 50mm Macro-Takumar, but i think i may have been lucky. a little shopping around for 85mm takumars suggests that if it's in good shape the $50 they're asking for it is pretty good, so together it doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. i think i got my genuine Pentax adapter for about $30, but it's been a while, so i don't remember and the market may have shifted. it is, in any case, worth it.

also, for non-time-sensitive work with old lenses, especially tripod work, i sometimes just go to full manual, mostly ignore the meter, and get the right exposure by taking a few test shots at various settings. obviously this won't work for action shots, but for most of the macro you're doing with a 50mm this approach should be fine, although it is admittedly less convenient than what you'd get with more modern equipment.

edit: also, i didn't shop around very hard for my adapter, so it's probable that if i'd been a more talented and dedicated bargain-hound i could've done better.
06-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
I say get the 85mm f/1.9 ... it's a stellar lens when you get used to using it ... I love mine to bits. I paid a hell of a lot more than what you were offered for it..
I know it is a stellar lens, but I dont shoot portraits at all! Also, I dont want too many lens...A 16-something/2.8, a 70-200/2.8 n a 100mm macro lens is all I want..yes, they r costly, so y not save by not buying tempting deal like these..

I also have a Sigma DG 530 Super Flash that I have used and love with my other AF lenses ... I just haven't played with manual flash use.
I have used the 'Auto' flashes while not automatic with K10D, they give Automatic flash for a given Aperture n ISO..they r easy to use..one doesnt have to calculate the distance n all...

May be I'll buy a good flash instead of the lens..Just hope that Sunpak 422D works fine..its been offered to me at $ 100...

n may be I'll rent the super tak 50/4 for few months till I get the 100mm macro...

06-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
It seems the owner is in no hurry to take back his lens..here are few more images..

the last image makes me think I need a a better flash than the on board one..

More info on on the lens,
My Journey as a Photographer (as yet!)