Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Older autofocus lenses...worth??

I'm cleaning out the closet and thinking I might want to get rid of some older autofocus lenses. Any idea what the fair market value would be? I've looked on fleabay and only found the 35-80. I'm more curious of the 70-200. I know they aren't worth much but any idea??

Pentax-F SMC 35-80mm 4-5.6
Pentax-F 70-200mm 4-5.6

thanks,
mark

06-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #2

can you post a couple pics of them?
06-28-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No "feelers" allowed- thread moved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ooops.....sorry about that. Didn't intend it as a "feeler" just really curious if they were junk lenses as is my thought, or if I was throwing away something collectable. Please just delete the thread......

mark

06-28-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax Takumar-F AF 70-200mm f/4-5.6 lens was recently sold for $45 on Ebay. The other lens might be worth a little less as I think it was pretty standard (kit) lens back in the 35mm AF camera days.
06-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But 70-200 does not say "Takumar" anywhere on it....thats what has me puzzled. I know the 35-80 is an older kit lens. I figure its the same era and probably worth about the same, (minimal) but wanted alittle help before I made mistake.

Thank You.
06-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just for future reference, you can search completed auctions on ebay to see what that market will bear. That's the closest thing to a market survey you're liable to find.

06-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Many of the "good" Pentax-F lenses have the focal range in orange, preceded by a small "SMC". If the focal length is in gray, it is the "less good" variant. The aperture ring is also different (green numbers and red "A" for "less good"; white numbers and green "A" for the SMC versions).

This isn't to say they're bad lenses, but the SMC lenses are much more sought after.
06-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Research

QuoteOriginally posted by forensicscientist Quote
I'm cleaning out the closet and thinking I might want to get rid of some older autofocus lenses. Any idea what the fair market value would be? I've looked on fleabay and only found the 35-80. I'm more curious of the 70-200. I know they aren't worth much but any idea??

Pentax-F SMC 35-80mm 4-5.6
Pentax-F 70-200mm 4-5.6
First go here Pentax K-Mount Lenses and Lens Accessories and research your lenses to find out what they really are - match the photos to the lenses, if necessary. Look under Pentax Zoom Lenses without SMC Coating.

Then go here Stan's Pentax Photography and read the comments of the PDML members (up to about 2004) to get an idea of the reputation of your lenses.

As has been suggested, you can search the ebay completed listings (the secret is constructing a search string that catches all of your lenses that have sold, but not much of anything else), or the KEH For Sale lists (much smaller, and the retail price, but it will give you an idea of condition discount).

If they're really not worth much (by your definition) consider giving them to a young photographer rather then throwing them away.