Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2015, 03:35 PM   #106
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Occam's razor among them, it would seem.
Hey! I ain't even seen Occam's razor, much less bought one!

12-28-2015, 06:15 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some people just like to collect things. They are afflicted with a more generalized form of acquisitiveness than mere LBA. You might call them magpies.
12-28-2015, 06:26 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Occam's razor among them, it would seem.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
You might call them magpies.
Occam's razor... so shiny...

Some people just like to collect things. They are afflicted with a more generalized form of acquisitiveness than mere LBA.
This. It also seems to be hereditary, as my grandmother and all her children were known for collecting things. The exception is my father, but I think that's just because my mother won't let him. But if she wanted, say, a string of Christmas lights, I guarantee he'd go to every store in town looking for exactly the right one. It's the thrill of the hunt.
12-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Occam's razor among them
it would seem the razor has been dulled with age.

---------- Post added 12-29-15 at 12:02 PM ----------

You might call them magpies
Or bower birds, they have to collect those shiny things to attract the ladies.

( now I understand the appeal of the silver FA limiteds)

12-28-2015, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In the immortal words of (I think it was) Sandy Hancock, "Ooooohhh. Shiney. Me Want!"
12-28-2015, 06:38 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that sounds about right
12-28-2015, 06:59 PM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
it would seem the razor has been dulled with age.

---------- Post added 12-29-15 at 12:02 PM ----------

Or bower birds, they have to collect those shiny things to attract the ladies.

( now I understand the appeal of the silver FA limiteds)
Just remember that there are quite a few ladies among us, and that they have direct access to the shiny things themselves and can wield them very effectively. I would choose my words carefully lest you find someone like dansamy or csa creeping up on you to metaphorically brain you with a metal-barrelled superzoom or ultra-tele prime.

12-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #113

last lens i bought was an old zeiss folder camera with a novar 100mm f3.5 triplet. i converted it to m42 mount and took some interesting shots. i stopped there knowing that pandora's box was wide open.
12-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

creeping up on you to metaphorically brain you with a metal-barrelled superzoom or ultra-tele prime.

I own excellent copies of the SMCP-FA*250-600mm ED [IF], SMCP-645 A*600mm f/5.6 ED [IF], and SMCP-67 M* 800mm f/6.7 ED [IF], i'd like to see them try it.
12-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That last would rival a French '75 in stopping power.
12-29-2015, 05:34 AM   #116
Pentaxian

That last would rival a French '75 in stopping power.
"This is the SMCP-67 M* 800mm f/6.7 ED [IF], the most powerful* medium-format tele prime in the world. (etc) So... do you feel lucky, punk?"

* For a given value of power, not necessarily pure focal length but IQ, rendering, etc. Cf Obi-Wan's "certain point of view".
12-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Theres ones I use all the time....that no matter what I buy...I will always use those favorites. They go everywhere with me in my backpack. But then theres the others that I acquire for various reasons I can't always explain except to say that I saw them,read about them, and wanted to try them. I fully admit I am addicted to old glass. M42 Taks are always something I look for and want to try out. That metal and glass is just amazing even as old as it is.It will probably outlast the plastic wonders of today. I also enjoy acquiring m42s from other mfgs and seeing how they compare to Taks. I Keep a k20d with a m42 adapter just for these!

Then theres the M and Ks...yup...like those also.

For me ,LBA, is part of the hobby. I like to learn about the lens out there.That means researching them,buying them, and using them. I tend to get into my hobbies deep...ocd?probably. Photography was one of my first hobbies...long term sufferer of LBA and CBA.

The addiction is strong at times...others not so strong until something catches my eye... You guys dont help much either! The worst place for an addict to hang out is with other addicts!
Al
12-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"All the best rubbish has already been collected. What a shame." Ivor Noel Hume
12-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #119
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Glad I never got the bug for manual lenses. I've tried them, but I don't get it. Which is why I either sold or gave away every one of them.
12-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
Glad I never got the bug for manual lenses. I've tried them, but I don't get it.
I do get it. What I must admit I don't really get any more is the urge to put them on my DSLR. On the other hand, I got into film in a big way this year and that includes Spotmatics, so all my M42, A and K/M type lenses have a place in my collection still. I actually have from 19mm to 210mm covered with film-era zooms, although one of them is an AF kit lens with such awful manual focus handling that I occasionally, rarely catch myself thinking about an M or A lens which might fill the gap. But that way lies madness, so I resist. For now.