Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lens screwdrive gear broken

I never thought this would happen to a Limited (given how I only reserve opportunities to use it) but my FA77's screwdrive gear just broke. I had it checked by a local technician and he showed me the gear linked to the screw shaft has broken. Now I'm looking to have it repaired. Not sure how much it will cost though....

How often does this happen to screwdrive lenses? Could it be because newer cameras have faster torque/spin with the screw? I thought SDrive lenses are much hardier than SDM ones... especially our dear Limiteds

12-13-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that it's not comforting to hear that you are the only one (for a limited) that I have read about. I have a 16-45 lens that one of the focus gears has broken (in the lens body) - that I need to get repaired. So, it does occur, however it is certainly not something that is very prevalent.

12-13-2015, 04:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
How often does this happen to screwdrive lenses?
That happens especially when something prevent the AF ring to rotate and the camera is trying to focus, leaving the camera switched on and put it into a backpack, or someone is holding the AF ring opposing the force from the camera AF motor.
12-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I got a quote from precision as something similar happened to my 43mm (more likely to have been caused by some sort of manufacturing defect, but the lens was already out of warranty), and they wanted around $150 for it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That happens especially when something prevent the AF ring to rotate and the camera is trying to focus, leaving the camera switched on and put it into a backpack, or someone is holding the AF ring opposing the force from the camera AF motor.
that's the odd thing, I never let such happen. It was only after I stored it sideways one time that the screw started making strange clunky sounds while turning. Soon enough, it stuck up. Never happened with my cheapo kit lens that's been tossed and rolled on by other stuff in the box, it still works flawlessly.

Thanks Adam for the heads-up on possible repair costs. Looks like it can't be done DIY (I don't have tools too)
02-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #6

I have the same problem with my 43Lim and FA 85/1.4 now. If anyone had solve this problem and find solution?
Pantax service didn't sell parts and insist to give them whole lens for repair. Price will be much higher than for part only...
02-23-2016, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Olek Quote
I have the same problem with my 43Lim and FA 85/1.4 now. If anyone had solve this problem and find solution?
Pantax service didn't sell parts and insist to give them whole lens for repair. Price will be much higher than for part only...
I managed to find a great local technician (in Manila) who was able to repair my lens for half the cost of sending it to Pentax for repair. Also, I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself even if you have the parts due to the very intricate detailed nature of the parts inside Limiteds - especially the 43 and its size - unless you have some experience tinkering with them and/or are confident enough with your own repair skills.

When I sent my lens to him he had to look for the part and it took some time, about three weeks. I think some parts for Limiteds are not standard across Pentax lenses so what works for one lens might not for another.