Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 08:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not likely because I'm seeing it through viewfinder. Pentax has sensor-based SR, not lens-based. So, if it is caused by SR, I should only see it in live view.

12-17-2015, 01:29 AM   #17
sTi
Forum Member

For all people wondering if this is a "mistake" of the lens that could/should be fixed: I sent my 16-85, which also exhibits the image jumping while focusing, to the Pentax repair center. I got it back unrepaired, stating they could not find an error and that it is within manufacturer specifications (whatever that means - maybe the image is supposed to jump ).
Optically, my copy is fine (no decentering).
01-07-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hyyz Quote
I just received my 16-85mm I bought during the $446 deal. Image quality seems to be very high. However, I too experience the view jumping when AF. This is the first time I have experienced this kind of symptom in a lens. Is this a characteristic of this lens or something i would have to be concerned? I purchased from B&H. If it is not right behavior, I may need to contact them to get a replacement. The lens is centered ok though.

Thanks!
Did you end up getting a replacement and if so was it better?

I was having the same issue and got a replacement from Amazon but it also had the issue. I may request one more replacement...
01-07-2016, 09:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I got a replacement from B&H and it has the same issue. But it is not as bad as the first one - just slight jumping, not noticeable most of time. I now realize this is common for this lens from what I observed and read online. So, I decide to keep it - image quality is top notch. However, the jumping makes me feel the lens is not top grade. As I said, this is the first Pentax lens I have this kind of behavior. I think the behavior is somewhat related to the manual focus ring design - maybe a clutch there have some play.

Last edited by hyyz; 01-07-2016 at 10:00 PM.
01-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #20
Forum Member

I've just found out that image jumps on the screen of my K-01 when I tried quickshift for the first time today, I only received the lens on Tuesday and this was first time I had noticed it. Everything else seems ok so far.
01-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #21
Forum Member

Just received this lens yesterday and mine jumps noticeable too. Both in PDAF/OVF and live view. Using autofocus I only notice it using OVF, but manual focus I can re-create it using either. for manual focus it jumps as I move focus ring about 1/4inch either way - mine is easy to make "jump" this way. No matter where I begin focusing I can make mine "jump".

This is my second copy - the first copy was way off focusing between short and long end - could not adjust for anything useable for me. Have not tested for decentering or focusing yet - not sure if I want to live with the jumping.

I tried my other lenses and cannot re-create. I've never experienced this before. Should I be concerned?
01-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your observation seems to confirm my guess that the behavior is caused by manual focus mechanism design in this lens. Given the fact that I have never seen the behavior in any of other lenses I have used, I think it is related to the manual focus mechanism design - it has to be something "new" to make it so unique - so unique that even a low end lens doesn't seem to have this behavior. I could be wrong but I tend to think so.

Having said this, my copy is very sharp. It is so sharp that I can tell you my DA* lenses are not sharper. The lens is also well built, except the "jump", which makes you feel it is a little lack in quality.

Since quite a few users reported this issue, the "jump" seems to be a characteristic of this lens.

01-15-2016, 09:02 PM   #23

Photos: Albums
I got my second replacement of the lens and the image still jumps/shifts when focusing manually. I don't notice much of a difference in the amount of shift when compared to the original copy. The manual focus ring might be a little tighter ... but that might just be because it is brand new and my original copy has now been used several times. I will probably end up keeping the original.
01-15-2016, 09:44 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I followed the other thread and now this one. The 16-85 is on my short list and this issue probably won't scare me away but I wonder what the long term effects might be. Has anyone tried to contact Ricoh? I know there are some direct emails floating around the forums and perhaps Adam can reach out for comment?
01-18-2016, 02:26 AM   #25
sTi
Forum Member

I noticed that the "jumping" is also present in my DA 18-135, although to a much lesser degree. I probably wouldn't have noticed it without being alerted to this behaviour from my 16-85, but still it's there. IMO it's probably nothing to worry about, but I agree that some official comment from Ricoh to clear this up would be very welcome.
01-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #26
Forum Member

I've been using manual focus only today on my K-01 and found it a pain to focus properly. I was using manual focus and x6 magnification on the lcd screen and found that every time you change direction the image jumps up and to the left, you are just nearing what you think is correct focus, just a bit more, a fraction more......whoops too much, at that point you would just focus back a touch......but no as soon as you start to come back up she goes and to the left putting you off your stride. After several hours I got into the knack of, a bit more, a bit more and left it at that. The resolution of the lcd screen isn't the best to start with but with patience and perseverance I got pretty close in the end. It's the first time I've came across this with any type of lens.