Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you use a protective filter on your lenses?
UV 2624.07%
Protective 87.41%
No 7468.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I run naked lenses except for wearing hoods at all times.

12-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I use UV , skylight ,81a sometimes carryover from the film era formost for protection and then for haze reduction and contrast in B & W. A lens hood (plastic or metal) where ever possible and if no Polarizer port A Rubber collapsable so PL can be adjusted.
Has saved at least a couple of lenses from total destruction and more from some damage to front element and front filter ring over the years.
12-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yeah filters ROCK! Lens caps are so boring!

When I'm in the jungle, knowing I can just wipe the crud of my filter is much easier then worrying about ensuring the front element is always pointed down / putting a cap back on / carrying a cap. / caps are just annoying.

Unless of course I'm using the K1000, ...
12-16-2015, 08:08 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens caps for me.

Easier to remove prior to shooting than a filter.

12-16-2015, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I run naked lenses except for wearing hoods at all times.
I am glad you included lenses in you sentence.

Hood winked all the time for me.
12-17-2015, 04:47 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
This a relic from my film days when a UV filter was normally recommended to prevent an excess of UV light hitting the film
Many of my lenses find their way onto my film bodies from time to time, so it's still useful for me.
12-17-2015, 07:47 AM   #22
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

Filters for protection? No.
12-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #23

Yo dawg! I heard that you like protective so we put protective filter on top your protective lens coatings so ur protective while you shoot.

12-17-2015, 02:07 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

[Another poll that I can't answer due to limited choices...]

Yes ("UV" filters may be used on certain lenses exposed to more hazardous conditions),
and
No (not on most lenses most of the time).
12-17-2015, 02:10 PM   #25
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote

Yes ("UV" filters may be used on certain lenses exposed to more hazardous conditions),
and
This, exactly.
12-17-2015, 02:13 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, not for general protection. Lens cap and a hood is sufficient.

I have a stack of 40 or 50 UV And Skylight filters from my days of buying and selling lenses. I keep the Asahi filters from the 60's and the nice SMC and Ghostless separate, and a set of the colored filters available for film in 49, 52 and 58. I don't have any larger filters, and the large front elements are generally on the expensive lenses.
12-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
Pentaxian

To be noted that a filter always degrate quality. It add more flare artifact, it decrease contrast, resoltion, etc. Filter are also know to deteriorate bokeh. It can be visible or not and highend filter help with that sure. It is comon to see somebody that complain of the quality of picture they get to then discover it was due to a low quality filter that got in the way. Recently I have a thread just about the terrible bokeh a guy got and the root cause was the filter.

You have to factor the cost of the filter, the occasionnal picture where the filter ruined the picture due to flare and to count all the occasions where a filter will not help the lens at all. A shock can prevent the lens from focussing correctly anymore, change the the precise alignement etc meaning you lense is still broken anyway.

There also the issue that front lens elements from Pentax are very easy to clean while most filter are quite difficult because they don't have the same quality of coatings meaning the things you didn't manage to clean on the filter are going in the way of the picture too.

A hood already does 90% of what a filter does in normal conditions and it actually improve picture quality.

The best way to not get issues with your lenses are:
- To put the lens cap when you don't take photos.
- To ensure you camera and lenses are in a protected bag when not in use.
- To ensure you always have the strap and the camera secured

On the occasion a filter may help like protecting from sand/wind/water but you'll have to consider that if this may deteriorate the lens, it will deteriorate the filter too so you be logical and consider that in that last case you may buy new filter from time to time so their deteriored quality doesn't get in the way.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 12-19-2015 at 01:13 PM.
12-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote

and

Same here, and I always use a lens hood.
12-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Nah, i use the hood lenses as protection and offensive weapon if needed, cheap UV maybe can add problems rather than benefice, several good UV and im halfway to a new lens... So far, i tried to not drop my camera with or without lenses and put caps every time i take the lens off the camera, all my lenses are in good shape... (knocking on wood)
12-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Nah, i use the hood lenses as protection and offensive weapon if needed, cheap UV maybe can add problems rather than benefice, several good UV and im halfway to a new lens... So far, i tried to not drop my camera with or without lenses and put caps every time i take the lens off the camera, all my lenses are in good shape... (knocking on wood)
Your are obviously very good at not losing or misplacing lens caps.

I am still annoyed about dropping the Pentax one for my pancake 40mm because I had not screwed it on properly. So far I have not been able to get a replacement. Boo and lots of Hoos.