Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do you use a protective filter on your lenses?
UV 2624.07%
Protective 87.41%
No 7468.52%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Do you use a protective filter on your lenses?

Do you use a protective filter on your lenses?
UV, Protective or No.

Just wondering what other people do.

12-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a UV filter as ballistic protection, so technically the answer is both. Well, usually a UV. If someone ships a secondhand lens with a skylight filter screwed on, I'm not exactly in a hurry to change it. It must have worked for them (or whoever last used the lens).
12-16-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No protective filters. I keep the hood on at all times, with a lens hood hat:

OP/TECH USA Hood Hat
12-16-2015, 09:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
with a lens hood hat
Must get boring photos, all black

12-16-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I use a UV filter as ballistic protection, so technically the answer is both.
I meant do you use a UV filter for protection or a Protective filter for protection.
12-16-2015, 09:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Generally a UV filter if I'm buying one for a new lens. If it comes with a nondescript "protective" filter, I won't change it.
12-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Must get boring photos, all black
Just posted how I protect my lenses. Haven't seen any of your photos!

12-16-2015, 09:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
if anything polarizing or nd for certain effects.
12-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I use a UV filter as ballistic protection, so technically the answer is both. Well, usually a UV. If someone ships a secondhand lens with a skylight filter screwed on, I'm not exactly in a hurry to change it. It must have worked for them (or whoever last used the lens).
Like pathdoc I use a UV filter on all my lenses for protection. This a relic from my film days when a UV filter was normally recommended to prevent an excess of UV light hitting the film, with added advantage that it also acted as a protector. Today I think I would seriously consider a clear filter instead, but I need to investigate that idea more fully. The new clear glass ceramic filters from Sigma seem very interesting. I wonder what they will cost.
12-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LoneWolf Quote
The new clear glass ceramic filters from Sigma seem very interesting.
Except they don't come in 49mm.
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Haven't seen any of your photos!
I'll get to posting some one day, mine aren't forum worthy yet
12-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In normal use, no - no filters. I only use a UV or other clear filter in dusty/windy conditions, or as a lens cap if I don't have a proper one.
12-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the high quality filters - I'm using B+W or Kenko Zeta - I really have not been able to tell any difference at all, and I'm a little picky ! Maybe, there might have been a flare situation that I wouldn't have had without a filter, but with a hood and hands etc to shield the lens, flare is rare anyway. I've no idea whether cheap filters cause problems - I suspect they might.

What they offer me is protection from the elements and the occasional finger print which I just prefer to clean up on a filter than an expensive lens. I always use them ...

Also, for resale the lens is then pristine, which is bonus too.
12-16-2015, 10:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I always use a polarizer or UV. And from time to time I clean finger prints off them, that would have been on my lens. When I'm focussed on shooting I can get really sloppy about lens care.

My Sigma 8-16 that has to be cared for, seriously crimps my style.
12-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I meant do you use a UV filter for protection or a Protective filter for protection.
For FSLRs I use a UV filter and for DSLRs I use the new hardened glass protective filters (in addition to a lens hood).

When I want and need the best IQ, I remove the filter and am extra cautious. If I'm shooting a non-WR lens, I will also use a filter as an extra barrier from the elements.

When I was a pro and insured for accidents, I usually did not use a filter....and yes, I had more accidents than I'd like to admit. Now that I'm no longer a full time pro, I almost always keep a filter on as I cannot justify the cost of
either insurance, the deductible, or replacing my lenses.

Not to digress from your post, but I wonder if anyone has found favor in brass, aluminum, or plastic constructed filters? I'm thinking in terms of easier removal upon damaging impacts.
12-16-2015, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always keep a UV filter on the front of every lens. I've shot various lenses with and without the filter and have never been able to see a difference in quality from the photos.

In my view, it just makes sense to protect the front element of a lens. Recently, I had the camera around my neck and bumped into a branch. The UV filter cracked but the front element survived. Also, when cleaning gunk off the filter, should I scratch the filter, it's a cheap replacement. If I should scratch the lens - oops - not so cheap.