Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Dad !

It's been one of my great regrets having bought a mirrorless ILC and caught a bad case of legacy LBA that my dad is no longer around to chat to about it. He was an inveterate buyer and seller of camera gear and the person who got me into photography many,many years ago. He bought me an Agfa Silette Rangefinder in the early 70's - I can still remember going with him to buy it from a guy in the classifieds (newspaper rather than CL). The (UK) Manchester Evening News - Under a Fiver section so that tells you how long ago it was.

He died five years ago and I got to clear out his accumulated years of collecting. I somehow managed to keep it for a few years not wanting to throw out so much old kit that you couldn't give away. When I emigrated to the US in 2013 (two years ago tomorrow) I had to be brutal and get rid of everything. As I was chucking out his collection of camera bags (why he had so many escapes me) I even found £400 in one of them - obviously his "hide from my mother" trading fund .

The one thing I kept was his collection of old Leicas and Leica bits. There are no collector models but hey - they're old Leicas they ain't getting dumped.

Fast forward to this morning and I'm wondering if any of the Leicas have detatchable lenses. Yes I know I'm stupid. I'm wondering if any will a) detach and b) work on my A6000.

So I've discovered in his box of bits the following.

Ernst Leitz Summacron 3.5cm F3.5
Ernst Leitz Summitar 5cm F2 (this has the push/pull lens thing with the scary back projecting element)
Jupiter 50/F2

And my favourite

Ernst Leitz Elmar 9cm F4

Thanks Dad !

Last edited by rjm007; 12-16-2015 at 11:03 AM.
12-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
12-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Sifting through a loved one's accumulated objects can be sad but it can also provide some great light moments or even better.
12-16-2015, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lost my father 7 years ago at the age of 91. He had a passion for photography all of his life, at times I embraced it and at other times not so much. When I got my first DSLR (a K10d) in 2008, we did have a number of months to discuss photography before he passed away and was happy to see that I was back into photography. He also looked longingly at the DSLR with that look of what he could have done with it. I now own his old equipment including two 1930's era Leicas and a 4x5 camera. I totally wish he was around now to talk photography with as he was so knowledgeable about so much. But all things must end. I do have my youngest daughter to share this passion with now - even if she does use a Sony! I have yet to fire up the Leica's (I used them in high school in the '60's though), but the 4x5 camera...I've actually got the lens CLA'ed, bought a box of Tri-X 320 ISO, and shot a few frames with it.

So, enjoy your new to you gear and use it in remembrance of your father. I do and think somewhere out there my father is smiling at that.

12-16-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Not a comment on the equipment but rather on one's Dad inspiring the photography bug...My Dad passed away suddenly this past summer. He got me into photography many many years ago as well. I used to love working hard on my pics for his enjoyment because he had the skill and experience to appreciate them. Plus, he was my Dad...
Since then I find myself significantly less motivated to shoot and PP. I certainly would keep my Dad's old equipment only for the sentimental value.