Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I don't think the price of the 31 ltd in France has anything to do with taxes. The same lens used to be priced at around 800 euros last year.
I'm aware that it's not taxes. I'm just ribbing the "free" folks. It ain't free, y'all. Somebody's paying for it. Somewhere, somehow. Problem is everybody wants the "free" but nobody wants it to be them that ends up paying for it.

Back on topic, sort of, it's common for video games to be priced likewise. The 49.99 will be the same in USD, CAD, GBP, etc. And gaming forums will all explode with cries of "why do we have to pay more?" because the exchange rates make it such that the $49.99USD is a lot less than everybody else's price.

12-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The average European employee gets less then half of what he costs to his employer.
Not much different here in the good 'ol USA. Employer costs are generally between 1.5 to 2.5 times wages. This includes overheads, not just taxes and benefits.
12-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrpower10 Quote
Not much different here in the good 'ol USA. Employer costs are generally between 1.5 to 2.5 times wages. This includes overheads, not just taxes and benefits.
I worked in the USA, I could save more than twice as much as in Europe, doing the same job.
12-16-2015, 03:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

that lens is till worth every penny.

12-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gfurm Quote
Cheapest one in UK is 1097 GBP
£612 from Microglobe ex stock (840 Euro / 917 US$)
12-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Canada (Vancouver) the FA31/1.8 sells for $1200.00CDN. With the low Canadian dollar that's about $850.00US or €767.00.

Pentax FA 31mm F1.8 Limited - Broadway Camera

Phil.
12-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best price of today in Germany is €1185, roughly $1293.
This is from a German Internet Shop specialized on Photographic items and selling through eBay, and includes shipping and all taxes.

If you buy from an authorized Pentax dealer (or Amazon), it will cost you the same as at the Pentax Boutique in Paris.

12-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone know the import duties in France and the VAT?
12-16-2015, 04:38 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Only for Germany.
For cameras and lenses of EU origin VAT is 19%.
If imported from outside the EU, no VAT, but an import tax of also 19% instead.

The VAT percentage may vary from country to country within the EU.
The fact that you could fool the EU system by importing to a low-VAT country and then transfer it tax free to a high-VAT country, is tolerated for private deals.
If you do it running a business, the transaction must be seperately included in your business tax declaration, As far as I know, there are yearly compensations between the EU countries (like with international postage/letters, where you also pay only in the sender country).
12-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I'm curious... what happens if someone in the US sends it to you in France as a "gift"?
12-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are special rules for gifts, as well as for things you bring with you from journeys to other countries.

Usually there is a "free" limit depending on the kind of good.
If exceeds that limit, import tax has to be payed.

In Germany, the tax itself is calculated from the net price it would cost in our country, not from the price payed in the foreign country!
12-16-2015, 04:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Here in Australia at the moment the prices at the official Pentax store are FA31 ltd $1199 AUD ( $865.58 US, €793.82 ) and FA77ltd $799 AUD ( $576.81 US, €528.99 ) and these include free local shipping.
Next year I'll be travelling to France again and unlike my wife my luggage is always well under-weight, with a few of these lenses well packed in my luggage I could pay for my trip and then some.

Glenn
12-16-2015, 05:17 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess the internet shops selling this and other Pentax equipment can make a fortune, by not buying from Pentax directly.
I am afraid Ricoh is creating a very big grey market.
12-16-2015, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by G and T Quote
Here in Australia at the moment the prices at the official Pentax store are FA31 ltd $1199 AUD
Nooooooooooooooooo! Now the secret's out. When it comes to Pentax gear Australians aren't being scammed. We don't want Ricoh to realise. This could merely be an oversight.
12-17-2015, 12:15 AM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
US: lower taxes, lower duties with less tariffs. This means we get quite low prices for consumer goods, which also means that we get paid less and don't have much in the way of social welfare benefits like paid-time off, maternity leave, national healthcare, cheap higher education etc. However you want to cut it, we pay that extra $600, it just goes towards other things.
I think, more accurately, Europeans are just skewered with a hot iron through their nether regions on a regular basis for prices in general. You could take nearly any example to demonstrate that. So when the Xmas frenzy comes along and you see this type of price difference, it kind of makes you wonder...

---------- Post added 12-17-2015 at 12:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Billy Joe Quote
Wait, they tell us you all have free healthcare, free college, and 6 weeks paid vacation... Something is fishy here
No, it's 5 weeks vacation (25 days), you pay for healthcare directly and indirectly it is absolutely not free (but probably 99% less expensive than the American medical mafia), public education is free but useless, therefore you go private and that costs a lot, etc...How about a 4 dollar expresso, an 8 dollar gallon of gas, and so so, the list is endless. The terrorist attacks however are free of charge.

---------- Post added 12-17-2015 at 12:22 AM ----------

Sure that's a significant price difference, but you have the choice to buy where you like, so feel free to do so. For the price difference, you can buy a flight ticket Paris-Tokyo, buy the lens in Tokyo at 800 euros.
That's what I generally do, thanks. I shop around the world, including the US as I work for an airline. However, in this day and age of Internet e-commerce shopping, there is something to be said for supporting your local brick and mortar shops. Otherwise, tomorrow, there will be nothing left in our cities. I agree to do that, but not when the item, already high-ticket, is proposed locally at twice the cost.

---------- Post added 12-17-2015 at 12:25 AM ----------

I don't think the price of the 31 ltd in France has anything to do with taxes. The same lens used to be priced at around 800 euros last year.
Definitely not taxes. The VAT at 20% was the same last year. Customs duties at import in France is about 5.5%, same as last year and even before. I'm telling ya, this is preposterous!

---------- Post added 12-17-2015 at 12:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah. And import duties, shipping or warranty costs don't justify this difference either. Meanwhile, large part of EU is still economically weak.
So I don't know how Pentax can be surprised it has low sales volume, with high prices and low availability.. or is Europe just such a low priority market for them?
As you all may know, France is indeed one of Pentax/Ricoh's strongest markets for DSLRs. I don't really know why but you do see Pentax shooters here. So why in the world would your sales and marketing policy be geared to push away current and potential customers...We haven't spoken of the entire Pentax range but it is extremely expensive compared to the US costs. Just doesn't favor this market.

---------- Post added 12-17-2015 at 12:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Does anyone know the import duties in France and the VAT?
Yes, VAT is 20% and duties on photographic materail around 5.5%.