Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
non-warranty lens repair in Western Canada

A quick question to the Canucks on the forum...
Anyone have any experiences they can relay - positive or negative - about getting a lens repaired in Western Canada?

I'm on the coast (Vancouver Island) and need to have my latest baby repaired... My DA*50-135 was mounted on my K5 in my camera bag when my car was totalled. The lens body suffered some damage (it's slightly separating near the mount) and I need to decide if it's worth trying to repair, and where I can send it to.

I've found VanCam online - which says they repair Ricoh... but I have no idea if they or anyone else is any good.

Anyone with any experience they can share?

thx.
Mark

12-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #2

Henry's.
12-17-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to hear of the mishap.

Unless you find a shop in Vancouver or Victoria, you'll probably need to ship the lens, or drive a considerable distance.

How about Ricoh-Imaging Canada? They farm out to Sun Camera Service in the Toronto area. My impression is that Sun does a decent job, although I have had no direct experience. I received good service from Pentax Canada (warranty service handled by Henry's) a couple of years ago when Pentax did their repairs in-house.

Repair Information?Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA

Hope this is helpful.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 12-17-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: clarification
12-17-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
I've found VanCam online - which says they repair Ricoh... but I have no idea if they or anyone else is any good.
VanCam is a few blocks away from where I live. I have only used them for a few Pentax film camera minor repairs and lens filter ring dents. They are OK, but no Eric!

Phil.

12-17-2015, 03:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Winnipeg we have Compu-Tech Camera Repair, who CLAed and fixed a stuck diaphragm in a Vivitar 24mm f/2. $60 and two years later the lens is chugging along with no problems.

Home
12-17-2015, 06:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Victoria Camera Service has been good for me over the years. And depending where you live on the island likely the most convenient for you to visit in person. They usually charge an inspection/estimate fee but this goes towards the repairs should you decide to proceed.
12-17-2015, 08:01 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I broke the M 400/5.6 in the middle of the tube, McBain Camera (Edmonton, Lethbridge Alberta) had it repaired and it is like new. I believe they sent it to a Pentax authorized repair depot.

12-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Curious if you've talked to ICBC or your 3rd party car insurance. My memory says if someone else was at fault you should be covered.

And hello from Nanaimo.......
12-18-2015, 09:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
Curious if you've talked to ICBC or your 3rd party car insurance. My memory says if someone else was at fault you should be covered.

And hello from Nanaimo.......
Hi.. Personal contents in the car are covered by house insurance... not car... so unfortunately the deductible is pretty huge...

strange the way insurance works.

But thanks for the thought...
12-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mholford Quote
Hi.. Personal contents in the car are covered by house insurance... not car... so unfortunately the deductible is pretty huge...

strange the way insurance works.

But thanks for the thought...
I reviewed my case last night and it was ICBC who covered the personal contents. In my situation, the personal contents were in the non-fault parties vehicle. ICBC would not have covered them if they were in the at fault vehicle. If it were a single car accident (ie, black ice) or there was no clear at fault party my comments would be moot.....
12-22-2015, 11:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hornet Quote
Victoria Camera Service has been good for me over the years. And depending where you live on the island likely the most convenient for you to visit in person. They usually charge an inspection/estimate fee but this goes towards the repairs should you decide to proceed.
thanks - didn't know these guys existed... Just down the road (so to speak) so definitely worth a visit in person. Great to have a local option...

Mark