Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2015, 03:58 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It shouldn't squeak. My DA *55 makes a very faint, high pitched whistle when it focuses that you have to have decent high frequency hearing to hear, but none of my SDM lenses squeak. I would get another one. This is one of those lenses that doesn't seem to have a lot of copy variation with regard to optics, so I think you'll be fine, Ed.

12-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely not normal, as others have said.
12-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Squeaky noises certainly don't inspire trust in a lens purchase. If it is something not only lemmon lenses do but a behaviour exhibited even by (some?) perfect copies, until they have seen some use or had a chance to recharge their capacitor on camera, I wish Ricoh would mention this tendency in the operating manual or some technical advisory. Being silent about this sort of thing leaves people in doubt and risks making them paranoid. In particular, given the reputation Pentax SDM has developed since it was introduced.

I'd sure love to have lenses like the DA*200 and DA*300 in my kit, as they seem to be optically sublime, but you spend serious money on them, and then I expect gear that lasts me a little longer. Even if it's mainly a head problem, the uneasy feeling remains ...
12-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It shouldn't squeak. My DA *55 makes a very faint, high pitched whistle when it focuses that you have to have decent high frequency hearing to hear, but none of my SDM lenses squeak. I would get another one. This is one of those lenses that doesn't seem to have a lot of copy variation with regard to optics, so I think you'll be fine, Ed.

So hard to describe in words... It's a lot like you describe. A very faint high frequency "chirp/whistle." It only does it when it's starting to move the elements not while they are moving. And then any time it stops and fine tunes the focus. Then each time it starts it chirps chiprs chirps. But it's very faint. It's got to be a quiet room to hear it. I almost think it may be normal, I'm just being ultra careful!

---------- Post added 12-18-15 at 02:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Squeaky noises certainly don't inspire trust in a lens purchase. If it is something not only lemmon lenses do but a behaviour exhibited even by (some?) perfect copies, until they have seen some use or had a chance to recharge their capacitor on camera, I wish Ricoh would mention this tendency in the operating manual or some technical advisory. Being silent about this sort of thing leaves people in doubt and risks making them paranoid. In particular, given the reputation Pentax SDM has developed since it was introduced.

I'd sure love to have lenses like the DA*200 and DA*300 in my kit, as they seem to be optically sublime, but you spend serious money on them, and then I expect gear that lasts me a little longer. Even if it's mainly a head problem, the uneasy feeling remains ...

Yea, any other lens and I'd ignore this completely. Paranoia for sure!!

---------- Post added 12-18-15 at 02:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by A_Delorme Quote
Do you miss the range of the Tamron 70-200? Are the colors better with the 50-135?

It's so bad to see all those discounts while getting paid in Canadian dollars. 1 US$ = 1,38 CND $... Glad I bought my K-5 IIs in 2013 while the dollar was almost at pair...

The weight of the 70-200 was a serious consideration. I seem to be getting much more use out of the 50-135 with the HD 55-300 to cover the 135-200+ bit. But I don't shoot any kind of sports, just landscape and wedding work. If there were any sports shooting in the mix the 70-200 would be the one.

The IQ of the 50-135 is better particularly the colors, but the Tamron isn't bad and totally usable professionally.

12-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
Yea, any other lens and I'd ignore this completely. Paranoia for sure!!
Not sure how you mean this, but you might have got the wrong idea. I was by no means trying to make you appear like someone really suffering from the said condition. (Should have used quotes to make this clear.) Quite the opposite: squeaky noises, and even more so something clangy-loose inside would convince me of a likely serious issue in any lens. Actually I was criticizing Ricoh's information policy. Totally agree with the other posters who suggested returning a pronouncedly and persistently squeaky copy, which would be precisely what I would do in such a case.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-18-2015 at 04:06 PM.
12-19-2015, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Not sure how you mean this, but you might have got the wrong idea. I was by no means trying to make you appear like someone really suffering from the said condition. (Should have used quotes to make this clear.) Quite the opposite: squeaky noises, and even more so something clangy-loose inside would convince me of a likely serious issue in any lens. Actually I was criticizing Ricoh's information policy. Totally agree with the other posters who suggested returning a pronouncedly and persistently squeaky copy, which would be precisely what I would do in such a case.

What I meant is that if the SDM lenses hadn't had a bit of a reputation for conking out, I wouldn't have even noticed the noises. Or, put another way, if they had a 100% reputation like the Nikon or Canon ring drives, I wouldn't have been listening in the first place.
12-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #22
Pentaxian

What I meant is that if the SDM lenses hadn't had a bit of a reputation for conking out, I wouldn't have even noticed the noises. Or, put another way, if they had a 100% reputation like the Nikon or Canon ring drives, I wouldn't have been listening in the first place.
The AF motor in my Dad's Nikon 18-200 failed after less than a year of use.

12-20-2015, 05:18 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Or, put another way, if they had a 100% reputation like the Nikon or Canon ring drives
No way! And if their ring motor goes, there's no screwdrive backup.

The repair guy I go to (who doesn't like the DA* SDM) says he replaces too many Nikon AF motors.

My work colleague has a dead Canon kit lens.

Seemed like it also happened to Gina Milicia of the 'So You Want to Be a Photographer' podcast on her Canon 24-105 walkaround.

Last edited by clackers; 12-21-2015 at 02:25 AM.
12-21-2015, 12:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
No way! And if their ring motor goes, there's no screwdrive backup.

The repair guy I go to (who doesn't like the DA* SDM) says he replaces too many Nikon AF motors.

My work colleague has a dead Canon kit lens.

Seemed like it also happened to Gina Milicia of the 'So You Want to Be a Photographer' podcast on her Canon 24-105 walkaround.

Yea it's pretty much a "perception" thing. I bet the reality is the SDM is probably more reliable than Canon or Nikon's AF-s /USM drives but less people yelling about it all the time.