Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

CZJ Flektagon 35mm, F2.8, M42 autodiaphram?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Good Evening (UK time!)

I still have a pretty old (one of the early generations!) Flektagon which I bought 2nd hand in the early 80s for use on my Edixa and Praktica M42 bodies - and it was very useful, not least because it focuses very close (0.18m) and was pretty sharp.

It is an auto-diaphragm version with the usual pin on the rear face which is operated by the "push bar" in the camera body - but it has a rather unusual (to me at least ) preview mechanism, consisting of a flat spring-loaded pin on the lens body which you press to close the diaphragm for preview purposes, and that works find on the film bodies.However, of course, Pentax DSLRs don' have that push bar, and so the diaphragm is always open unless you push it down externally to take a shot - which is inconvenient to say the least.

I use a generic M42-PK adapter to mate the lens to the bodies but that still allows the spring-loaded pin to stay out, not depressed - so does anyone know a way of holding that pin "permanently" depressed so that i can use it as a pre-set lens, but without gluing it down or opening the lens to disconnect something or other? . The latter would not seem very easy anyway because the rear mount has no visible securing screws, and I think, the central part is screwed into the surrounding mount - and it looks pretty tight. Anyway I don't need to take the lens apart to clean out fungus or dust, because there is not much of that, although I think the focusing ring could use some TLC as it is pretty tight, and I would get a lens repairer to do that if the aperture operation issue can be solved.

Thanks in advance.

John

PS: the only solution I can think of at the moment is to sandwich "something" between the lens mount and the M-42-PK adapter to hold the pin down, but not sure what that "something" could be.

Attached Images

12-19-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/51749-m42-a...ification.html

You can also get an M42 adapter that has a flange that keeps the pin pushed in.
12-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/51749-m42-a...ification.html

You can also get an M42 adapter that has a flange that keeps the pin pushed in.

Many thanks as my existing cheap generic adapter does not have that flange , but I now have to find out which adapter would be the best option (bearing in mind that it will probably be left semi-permanently on the lens) - any specific suggestions?

PS: could being using the combo on any of the K-5, K-3 or K-30 bodies.

John
12-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Kipon Lens Mount Adapter from Pentax Screw M42 to Pentax/K Body (w/Inner Ring) KP-LA-PXK-PXS

I'm sure you could find the same thing in the UK.

12-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kipon M42 Adapter für Pentax K / Samsung | eBay

A few years ago I bought a couple of them directly from China or Hongkong, for less than half the price shown in my link, so this link is just an example.
They work alright with my lenses.

As far as I remember from older threads of this forum, these are also sold (as rebranded) in the US by some chains.

EDIT: boriscleto was faster, these adapters are identical.
12-20-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Boris & RKKS08

Many thanks - will follow these very good leads and hopefully find what I need.

John

Edited: having done a few searches (google generic, ebay uk/com/de, Amazon) the only thing I can find apart from the one linked by RKKS08 - where the seller does not ship to the UK - is that available from Adorama for $17, but then there's a $48 UPS shipping charge to the UK! - that's not cheap for what it is!

So does anyone remember what the names of any rebranded versions?

Thanks in advance.

John

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-20-2015 at 11:59 AM.
12-21-2015, 03:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try this one from Foto Köster in Germany (shipping to UK is free):
Kipon M42 Adapter FÜR Pentax K Kipon Neu OVP | eBay
But there are only 2 items left, and 3 watching.

If it doesn't work:
I found 2 more offers in Germany which (probably) can be delivered to Britain.

Kipon M42 Adapter für Pentax K (Kipon) NEU OVP | eBay
Price is €30.99
Shipping within Germany is free, to UK it's € 12.95 (crazy).

And the big German chain Photo Walser offers it at a reduced price in its WalimexPro shop.
Without shipping, cost is € 24.46 (down from € 27.99).
https://www.walimex.biz/navi.php?jtl_token=75df386b168cf1bec3fb2c30d6c8994c&...r+m42+pentax+k
Usually, WalimexPro delivers to UK (€ 19.90 if you buy for less then € 750).
But, strange enough, the offer for the adapter cannot be seen if I change language from German to English.
Their hotline is out of order (the tape says to many employees are ill, but hints to the email address info@mediaresort.de).

Good luck

EDIT: I just mailed Walser, but not much hope for a timely answer in the mid of Christmas business.

EDIT 2: Got an immediate answer: The say they can see the offer also when switched to English. Strange, must be my browser or Javascript settings. Must check that, but not now.

EDIT 3: I tried it with 3 different browsers, but none does show the item when in English mode.
But you can get to the offer independend from site language if you use the article number for search, just type 10987.

Last edited by RKKS08; 12-21-2015 at 04:39 AM.
12-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
RKKS08

Many thanks - I ordered one from fotokoestermuenster, which turned out to be very marginally the cheapest. It won't get here until New Years Eve at the earliest but that's not a problem.

Happy Xmas

John
Edited:
It arrived a couple of days ago - interestingly in a Walimex part-numbered box, although the main Kipon label has the actual Chinese company name. Looks a well-made item (as others have said.)

I will have to experiment a bit because, although I removed the spring, my first mistake was then not to screw the adapter firmly onto the lens - and when I removed the lens from the K-30 body, the adapter stayed in the latter (but came out with a little help from the removal tool). After that I did screw it firmly on and it seems OK, but I'm thinking that a small drop of mid-strength locking compound on the lens threads might be an idea.

Last edited by jeallen01; 01-01-2016 at 11:32 AM.