Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #1
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Advice needed on screwdrivers and oils for lens servicing

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm taking my first steps into basic lens servicing, concentrating on some older manual prime lenses as they seem to be the best place to start.

I already have:

- good quality adjustable lens spanner / wrench
- decent rubber lens ring removal tools
- lint-free microfibre cloths
- high quality isopropyl alcohol for cleaning jobs
- rubber work mat

To this, I need to add some decent screwdrivers and some basic oil & grease for lubrication jobs.

Could any of you recommend a practical set of sizes for the screwdrivers I'll need (slotted and phillips)? Also, which oils / greases will get me started? I'm not looking to have every eventuality covered at this stage - just a basic selection to get me going. I'd planned on buying from micro-tools...

Finally, are there any other must-haves that I've overlooked in terms of tools and supplies?

Thanks in advance

12-20-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any good set of micro tools will give you good slotted drivers. However, many (most?) lenses use JIS screws not Philips. Philips is very close but just off enough to strip out JIS heads if you are not careful. So get a set of JIS drivers.

In addition:
A good magnifier lens and a lighted one on an arm is ideal
dental picks and other probes
tweezers of various sizes
Plastic part bins
Ziplock bags, some lenses are better dissembled inside a bag so when the springs go flying they are not lost
Acetone is sometimes used for cleaning and to clear glue
Fine paint brushes
rubber air blower
12-20-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Could any of you recommend a practical set of sizes for the screwdrivers I'll need (slotted and phillips)?
Don't forget that the "Phillips" may be JIS!

12-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Not Phillips nor slotted (though the latter may occasionally be useful) but JIS (Japanese Industry Standard) drivers which are Phillips-like but which will not strip the screws. Use a Phillips and you will soon be swearing in impotent rage. There's something about them which does not suit these screws at all.

What I bought: http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004PGO1T6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

12-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Micro-Tools Europe Tools | JIS-Type
12-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For some reason, Micro-tools in the US does not stock JIS screwdrivers. A good place to try in the US is the Society of Photo Technologists web page. Scroll to the bottom to see screwdriver info . https://www.spt.info/
12-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maintenance and Repair Articles - PentaxForums.com

12-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Don't forget that the "Phillips" may be JIS!
Almost assuredly if the lens was made in Japan.

Steve
12-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Nyogel or another synthetic grease for the helical.
Which grade Nyogel do you recommend? I have a couple of lenses needing helicoid service and have read varying opinions regarding greases. I finally bought a small tub of Helimax-XP from an eBay vendor, but would like a backup solution in case that does not work. (Will be used with a mix of metals including some former Soviet lenses.)

MicroLubrol? HELIMAX-XP? Camera Lens Telescope Optical Instrument Focusing Helicoid Grease w/ PTFE 1oz 28g

Very few lenses will use any oil.
This is very good information that should be taken to heart. For most lenses, if you find oil in the iris diaphragm mechanism, it has migrated there from somewhere else. The automatic diaphragms found in most lens made since the late 1960s are designed to run clean and dry.

Steve
12-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If your near a Home Depot in England, or check Ebay online, take a look at the Husky precision screw driver sets, also the Husky pick and tweezer set. I have been using them without stripping the heads on any screws I have used them on many a lens and camera without stripping any screw heads. Of course care does need to be taken if the screw is exceedingly tight or has some type of lock tight on the threads. Also if you buy them from Home Depot they are covered under a Lifetime warranty, which means if the tool fails you can go back to home depot and they will automatically replace the item without a receipt or proof of purchase.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-21-2015 at 08:31 AM.
12-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I prefer the lighter grades (774L, 744), but it really depends on the size of the main helical thread. Smaller threads will take a lighter grade in order to achieve the same stiffness.
Do you have any purchase links for this? I've decided to sacrifice my 50/3.5 Industar (inasmuch as if it should come down to not being able to put it back together again, it's the lens I can most afford to lose) and see if I can do this CLA thing. If that's successful, I'll look for a heavily dusted Takumar or two to attack.
12-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the very useful responses, all. I've ordered a small set of JIS screwdrivers by Vessel - they seem to cover the sizes I'll need and are of good quality. Great info also on the use (and non-use) of oils and greases. I'll start off with some light grade grease and work from there. As for other recommended equipment, I have a few of those things already, but the plastic tweezers sound useful. I have an unlit magnifier that I use when soldering, so I'll use that to begin with along with my desk lamp. Great stuff, thanks again!
12-21-2015, 12:35 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I prefer the lighter grades (774L, 744), but it really depends on the size of the main helical thread. Smaller threads will take a lighter grade in order to achieve the same stiffness.
Thanks, this is very useful.

Steve
12-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Actually, since we're now talking about Soviet lenses, I'm guessing that the JIS screwdrivers won't be ideal for the Soviet screws (the cross-head ones, at least)? If that's the case, is there a specific type of screwdriver set I should look for to cover these?