Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
Vivitar TX

I recently picked up a Vivitar TX 200mm f3.5 but it came with the Minolta adapter not the M42 one. Does anyone know if this model is able to use the T4 M42 adapter or are they separate entities? And is it worth the $25 to get the adapter or is the lens garbage?

Thanks everybody!

Kyle

12-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
Original Poster
Darn. Any way I could build an adapter to an M42 lens for it. I have the threaded setup fot an M42 lens off of a broken Mamiya lens. The aperture seems to work fine without the adapter, the flange lengths would be my issue though
12-20-2015, 10:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,389
I'm pretty sure I have a TX m42 mount around here somewhere (so they exist), and maybe a PK too. The lens is definitely not garbage, pretty decent for the period (made by Tokina), but nothing special either. Komine-made 200/3.5 Vivitars are a very common item -- I seem to see one at every antique mall. As well as various other old 200/3.5 and 200/4 lenses that can often be found cheap, many of which are surprisingly good. Shooting film by any chance? I have a Mayima/Sekor 200/3.5 m42 which is a really nice lens but flares terribly on digital due to the flat rear element...
12-21-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,229
According to this blog a T4 - M42 mount will fit on a TX lens. TX mounts will not fit T4 lenses. Some T4 mounts will fit TX lenses.

T4 and TX mount lenses for classics - Photo.net Classic Manual Cameras Forum

12-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
I recently picked up a Vivitar TX 200mm f3.5 but it came with the Minolta adapter not the M42 one. Does anyone know if this model is able to use the T4 M42 adapter or are they separate entities? And is it worth the $25 to get the adapter or is the lens garbage? Thanks everybody!
Your lens can use both M42 and Pentax K Vivitar TX adapters. These vivitars TX/T4 lenses are definitely one of the more interesting bunch and it is well worth to play with them. I also have the 200 f3.5 TX lens and it is a fantastic performer.. same as 135 f2.8 which I had and sold after getting K 135 2.5 lens. From other good lenses the 28mm F2.8 TX also stands out as a really good one (I had it and got rid of it only after getting the Kiron 28 f2.0) generally more than decent lenses , some are exceptional. Sample variation plays its role though.
12-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Your lens can use both M42 and Pentax K Vivitar TX adapters. These vivitars TX/T4 lenses are definitely one of the more interesting bunch and it is well worth to play with them. I also have the 200 f3.5 TX lens and it is a fantastic performer.. same as 135 f2.8 which I had and sold after getting K 135 2.5 lens. From other good lenses the 28mm F2.8 TX also stands out as a really good one (I had it and got rid of it only after getting the Kiron 28 f2.0) generally more than decent lenses , some are exceptional. Sample variation plays its role though.
If you find one shoot me a PM I'm kind of curious how the IQ is since its useless on my K-5 currently. The TX mount I got was for Minolta and only adapts to my measly little A5000 that is a pain in the neck to focus.
12-22-2015, 01:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
If you find one shoot me a PM I'm kind of curious how the IQ is since its useless on my K-5 currently. The TX mount I got was for Minolta and only adapts to my measly little A5000 that is a pain in the neck to focus.
I will snap something with this lens mounted on my K-01 later today ( don't want to dig through 1000's of unprocessed photos I got sprayed over my hard drive/sd cards/ usb drives :P ). I use it with a loupe so it is very comfortable to focus. I cannot imagine using the K-01 with manual lenses and on-screen focusing with no extra support from having that magnification loupe put on.
12-22-2015, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
If you find one shoot me a PM I'm kind of curious how the IQ is since its useless on my K-5 currently. The TX mount I got was for Minolta and only adapts to my measly little A5000 that is a pain in the neck to focus.
My regular computer is out of my reach at the moment, but here are 4 shots I took with this lens and my K-01. First two at F3.5 and second pair at F5.6. some comments above each shot. Click to see full 3456 x 2304 images shot and developed in camera

1) F3.5 handheld , fairly low shutter speed so not entirely shake free



2) F3.5 - focus set on that yellow Sun, very little DOF at 2 m distance


3) F5.6 - on board flash used


4) F5.6 -onboard flash used. Shot at an angle to avoid reflection , focus set on the middle of the blue box



Last edited by manntax; 12-22-2015 at 09:39 AM.
12-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
Original Poster
Hmm. I really am kind of curious the kind of stuff I could do with it. I generally don't use long focal length lenses but this looks like it could be fun!
12-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Hmm. I really am kind of curious the kind of stuff I could do with it. I generally don't use long focal length lenses but this looks like it could be fun!
Yeah I actually like telephotos , they open entirely different possibilities and the perspective and reach requires some getting used to but you will like it once you adapt it to your pentax. Viewfinder or a LCD loupe is mandatory to be able to focus reliably. Thankfully it has nice dampening and fairly long throw which adds precision. I can recommend this lens for its qualities with full confidence. It is sharp, gives nice colours , fairly flare resistant, with little CA only wide open. Whats not to like
12-22-2015, 04:43 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 235
Original Poster
Yeah. I generally dont shoot much above 135mm or below 500mm. My focus skills though got very good after forcing myself to use the Tamron 500mm F/8 mirror lens lol. That was a torturous week for my photography but I sure learned how to focus with a dark VF and the DOF the sive of pinky nail. haha. So I can use a T4 mount on the TX but not a TX on a T4? Plus it gives my LBA a new adaptable lens set to get into!!!
12-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #12
Veteran Member
manntax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
Yeah. I generally dont shoot much above 135mm or below 500mm. My focus skills though got very good after forcing myself to use the Tamron 500mm F/8 mirror lens lol. That was a torturous week for my photography but I sure learned how to focus with a dark VF and the DOF the sive of pinky nail. haha. So I can use a T4 mount on the TX but not a TX on a T4? Plus it gives my LBA a new adaptable lens set to get into!!!
You will be all right with all T4 mounts on TX lenses, and SOME TX mounts on T4 lenses. TX mount of M42 screw will work with every T4/ TX lenses ( I know because that's what I saw on a faulty 28mm f2.8 vivitar T4 lens which I bough on a car boot sale with TX M42 mount attached ). Yeah LBA might strike but these lenses are fairly rare and so it should take some time until you get tempted again
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, k-mount, m42, pentax lens, slr lens, tx, vivitar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Vivitar TX lens accept T to PK adaptor? el baroda Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 11-26-2013 01:05 AM
Vivitar TX Mount - Focus Ring Repair? severalsnakes Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 09-07-2013 07:03 PM
Vivitar TX adapter rattles wiseman Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 03-28-2013 09:34 PM
TX adapter for Vivitar 400 5.6 opiet70 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 05-04-2011 06:36 PM
Vivitar tx 135mm 2.5 pencilnink Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-11-2011 09:30 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top