Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Lots of good advice here and I have enjoyed reading the thoughts.

If the doco's are anything to go by, you can get real close so lens length won't necessarily be a problem. It will be IQ that you will need to think about more than anything else.

Perhaps a lens with no CA and excellent sharpness across the frame? I would very seriously consider packing an extremely high quality macro. Given the friendliness of the locals, a manual would be no worries to.

So what macro lens are you taking? May I suggest the Lester Dine 105/2.8???? If AF is required then the Sigma 105/2.8. The Pentax 100/2.8 would also be awesome - weather sealed too - but the 105 is possible a little better for such an awesome trip.

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 09:16 AM ----------

Of course, my absolute preference would be the FA*200/4 macro or the A*200/4 macro

---------- Post added 12-28-15 at 09:21 AM ----------

Oh and as an after thought, what is everyones thoughts on ND and polarising filters? The galapagos is a very well lit place (equator) and as such much of the photos will be exposed to plenty of scattered light and closed down aperture. If you want to get better separation between subject and fore/background then ND filters would help immensely I suspect.

Just a thought.

12-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #32
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
Do I "need" the 300mm for our Galapagos Islands trip?
Of course you do! I'm disappointed you even need to ask...

Have a great trip and post a few images when you get back.
12-27-2015, 05:06 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't imagine that you need it!
David Attenborough can walk right up to everything there, shake hands and exchange phone numbers.

(but I jest!)

12-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sharik Quote
Yes, it can make a big difference. On regular cruises, one usually gets the Golden Hours and Blue Hours (the best time for photography) only at sea.

The answer would depend on whether you can tolerate frequent lens changes in the field. If, like me, you prefer to do it as rarely as possible, then the best solution is just two good zooms permanently mounted on different bodies. One would be a tele zoom such as your DA 55-300 or Sigma 120-400, or better still, a DA*60-250, and another a "standard" zoom such as DA 16-85 or one of the 17-70 lenses. With this combination, all your basic photographic needs will be covered, and the risk of contaminating the camera with dust and salt, and losing the critical moments, minimized.
Now, you've got me thinking about the 60-250. Much as I love the IQ of primes, for the kind of photography I do on a regular basis and on trips like this, zooms generally serve me better. There is so much variability in the scenes, the position of the animals, etc that zooms work better for me. I have upgrading my "zoom kit" lately (by adding the 50-135 and the Sigma 17-50 2.8 as well as the Pentax 10-17 fisheye), so maybe it would make sense for me to get the 60-250 while relatively it's well-priced. It's actually a little smaller and lighter than the 300, and it would be more versatile, especially if I pair it with the teleconverter.

So, here's my possible kit for the trip:

K-3
Sigma 17-50 2.8 (or maybe the Pentax 17-85, which I don't own yet)
Pentax 50-135 2.8
Pentax 60-250
Pentax 1.4x teleconverter
Pentax 35 2.8 macro
Pentax 100 2.8 macro
Pentax 10-17 fish eye (maybe)

I probably will also bring the 55-300 and 18-135 as backups, and Mr frogoutofwater and I will share my second K-3 as a backup between us.

12-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #35
Forum Member

Not sure who you will be using to go to the islands we stayed on the Nat Geo Endeavour one piece of gear I did take is a large dry sack so my camera fitted in it...sometimes from the ship to the islands we got soaked by spray and swell..salt water and camera gear don't mix too well.
12-29-2015, 07:12 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by M.B.Yates Quote
Not sure who you will be using to go to the islands we stayed on the Nat Geo Endeavour one piece of gear I did take is a large dry sack so my camera fitted in it...sometimes from the ship to the islands we got soaked by spray and swell..salt water and camera gear don't mix too well.
We are travelling with Cheesemans on the rather small Samba (14 passengers). And yes, I imagine we'll get wet. Other gear-planning aspects of the trip include figuring out how to keep our gear (and feet) dry, whether to bring tripods or monopods (leaning, ha ha, toward a monopod), and whether our existing camera bags will do the trick or whether we need to supplement. But those are questions I'll ask in other threads.

BTW, I pulled the trigger on the 60-250
12-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #37
Pentaxian

We are travelling with Cheesemans on the rather small Samba (14 passengers). And yes, I imagine we'll get wet. Other gear-planning aspects of the trip include figuring out how to keep our gear (and feet) dry, whether to bring tripods or monopods (leaning, ha ha, toward a monopod), and whether our existing camera bags will do the trick or whether we need to supplement. But those are questions I'll ask in other threads.

BTW, I pulled the trigger on the 60-250
With the 1.4 TC it should be a great lens for this. Definitely Pelican cases for gear if it's going to be wet. It's just not worth messing around with alternatives. You can leave them on the boat and transfer to your usual camera bags for walking around.

My usual minimum kit is, a medium pelican case with the DA* 60-250, Sigma 70 macro (your pentax 100 will be great) DA 21 ltd, DA 35, 40 xs and 50 and 1.4 TC. and my Sigma 8-16, in one case. Often the 21ltd and 40XS are in a separate small case in my day pack.

In a second case, just big enough for the K-3 and a spare battery, I have a K-3 with the 18-135 on it. That i keep with me in a day pack, in case something comes up in transit. I almost always carry a nice lightweight tripod and sometimes a monopod as well. With a tripod you can always collapse the legs and use it as a monopod. There's not so much flexibility with a monopod, but one or the other for sure. The monopod really doesn't work for long exposures.

If I'm going to be doing much walking in good light, the 18-135 and 60-250 usually covers about everything. I often carry more, and often wish I didn't.

12-30-2015, 06:37 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
With a tripod you can always collapse the legs and use it as a monopod. There's not so much flexibility with a monopod, but one or the other for sure. The monopod really doesn't work for long exposures.
Yeah, I know I should put on my big girl pants and bring the tripod. But I won't - just too cumbersome and heavy (and weight is a major issue with me because of back problems). I also am considering a monopod because I think it will come in handy as a walking stick. I know from prior experience hiking in Morocco and the Canadian Rockies that I benefit from the bit of stability offered by a walking pole when I'm on uneven ground. I'm rather uncoordinated and also have some depth perception problems.

I don't see myself doing long exposures with the monopod - just hoping to be able to drop the shutter speed a bit when the light is a little lower than ideal - and to add a bit of stability when using a heavier lens.
12-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #39
Pentaxian

I looked up my light weight travel tripod..... here ya go.

http://www.amazon.ca/5-Section-Aluminum-Tripod-Height-Supports/dp/B0051TVQLM...ds=sirui+t-005

It might even be 90 bucks in the US.
12-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

A good lightweight tripod that a good forum member (Heie) really recommends is the Sirui T-025X.
12-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
A good lightweight tripod that a good forum member (Heie) really recommends is the Sirui T-025X.
I have the Sirui T-025X and hate it. I started a "which monopod thread for my Galapagos trip" here (including a link to my old "why the Sirui T-025X doesn't work for me" thread).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/310721...agos-trip.html
12-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I have the Sirui T-025X and hate it. I started a "which monopod thread for my Galapagos trip" here (including a link to my old "why the Sirui T-025X doesn't work for me" thread).

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/310721...agos-trip.html
I missed that part in your monopod thread.
Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you.

I think I would love the Sirui for backpacking.
12-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I missed that part in your monopod thread.
Sorry to hear it doesn't work for you.

I think I would love the Sirui for backpacking.
I'm a klutz with problem hands, so the Sirui was just too fiddly for me. I really noticed it when working in cold weather.
12-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I'm a klutz with problem hands, so the Sirui was just too fiddly for me. I really noticed it when working in cold weather.
Now that you mention it, it is truly irritating. You never get all the legs tightened right and as soon as you attach your camera it falls over on you. And if there is any wind at all it vibrates in the wind, really bad when you're on a two second times and SR is turned off. But it is light and portable, and for that, it's come on many trips with me. It irritates me, but it's the right weight.
12-31-2015, 06:24 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In looking at your other thread, on monopods and the link to the tour site, if it were me, I would add a sigma 500/4.5 or the DA 560/5.6. But....... That is because I can handle the weight.

If you are true li concerned about weight, and want reach plus options, get the DA1.4 TC and the 300/4.

At a combined weight of about 1300grams, you have 300/420mm covered, and it is not that much to spend to capture the best of your trip.

With that paring and some quality lenses below 200mm you should be set.

With my current kit, I could get by with my sigma 70-200/2.8 and 2XTC plus tamron 28-75/2.8 but would likely also take my K300/4 and 1.7x AF converter, a 100mm macro and sigma10-20, but that's what is in my kit at the moment. 2 longish lenses, plus one being a zoom is useful, especially if one is on a tripod, the other in hand for what ever passes by