Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2008, 04:26 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Why have a boatload of equipment worth thousands that rarely gets used? I don't understand.
Because he can!

Besides, don't you know that when you die, he with the most toys wins?

06-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I look at lenses like I look at shoes--each pair serves a different purpose. I'm not going to wear my high heels when I go out hiking and I'm not going to wear my tennis shoes with an evening gown. There is no one pair of shoes that will serve every occasion that I might dress for, so I have a variety to choose from--sandals, tennis shoes, dress shoes, loafers, etc.

This time of year, I just about live in sandals and in the winter, I split between tennis shoes, loafers, and clog-style slip-ons, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get rid of the dress shoes that don't get worn very much. When I need them, I'm glad that I have them.

Back on lenses, primes and zooms serve different purposes. Primes work when high quality is a must or (at least with the small primes) space is a consideration. Zooms work when you really can't or don't want to be bothered with changing lenses as often as you would with a prime and with a high-quality zoom, there isn't a whole lot of difference in IQ between it and a prime.

My goal is to have a kit with both quality primes and zooms, so I'll have more flexibility depending on the shooting situation.

Heather
06-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Ole. I'd probably say that I use zooms more too. However my shooting changes greatly in the winter months when I rely mostly on faster lenses. BTW is there a program that you used to do your inventory? If so which one? I've used "exposure plot" to find out which FL's I'm using, but I've never heard of a program that can sort lenses.
As a guess I'd say that I probably used the Tamron 28-75 most, followed by the Tamron 90mm Macro/FA 77 ltd (tie) then the Pentax A 70-200 F4.0. I recently acquired the 43mm ltd and the Sigma 17-70mm which I am enjoying muchly at present. But without a program to do the counting/sorting for me, there is no way I'd be able to spend the time to really find out.

NaCl(but I'd love my ltd's even without using them...what jewels they are)H2O
06-29-2008, 05:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like a real waste of good glass. I will gladly trade my bottom-most lens for yours.

Cosina 100mm: 127
FA 43mm Limited: 76
DA 18-55mm: 63
FA 77mm Limited: 53
DA 16-45mm: 51
Vivitar Series 1 105mm: 29
Sigma 70-300mm: 25
V2XMFTC: 20
Sears 135mm: 1

These numbers based on my Flickr tags. That way it's all about photos I want to share and not just what I happened to pop off.

Of course some lenses I've had longer than others. So the kit will only go down in the list whereas the Vivitar Series 1 will go up.

Last edited by rparmar; 06-30-2008 at 10:37 AM.
06-30-2008, 06:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Did you use a tool to get these stats? Or was this a manual process?