Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2015, 08:38 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The serial number should be listed or better yet pictured in the listing. It's an identification method so you get the used lens you purchased. I always list it, I have heard of people that buy something say it is defective, then return a different lens. The serial number can protect both buyer and seller.
What a great idea! I've never thought of doing this; but will in the future!

12-22-2015, 09:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Roughly when the lens was manufactured (doesn't work well for Pentax)
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Some people think that the serial number can be an indication of age of the lens. With Pentax that is usually not the case, as Pentax seems to use a system not based on anything I can understand.

I've heard these kinds of comments before, so there must be a good dose of truth in them, but I'd have to think that there must be some methodology applied to the numbers. I'm thinking that a serial number should be indicative of model variations, location of manufacture, relevant dates, etc. It is called a SERIAL number for some reason, and not a RANDOM number.....maybe in Pentaxland it IS a random number!
12-22-2015, 09:46 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
It is called a SERIAL number for some reason, and not a RANDOM number.....maybe in Pentaxland it IS a random number!
Pentax has a s/n range for each lens and the first manufactured will get the lowest number in the range. If you check the s/n DB you can always see a pattern and get a rough idea on when the lens was made.

Phil.
12-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've heard these kinds of comments before, so there must be a good dose of truth in them, but I'd have to think that there must be some methodology applied to the numbers. I'm thinking that a serial number should be indicative of model variations, location of manufacture, relevant dates, etc. It is called a SERIAL number for some reason, and not a RANDOM number.....maybe in Pentaxland it IS a random number!
Like many manufacturers, Pentax likely makes batches of lenses and numbers them sequentially within a defined batch; so a 10,000 lens batch would increment from 0000 to 9999. But the next series of numbers in sequence might be assigned to another lens (or an altogether different product). For the other integers in a Pentax serial number there doesn't seem to be any product logic, time-series logic or any other logic than can describe what was manufactured when given the number alone. I have 80 or so items in the PF Serial database. When I sort them by Serial there is no apparent ordering logic other than within (by chance) duplicates I have of lenses or.cameras. If I go to an individual lens or camera database several batches of numbers are often apparent.

12-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Certain lenses were marked with a range of serial numbers. For example when I was purchasing my Takumar f1.4 and my Takumar 135mm f2.5 the serial number would tell you whether the lens had a certain number of elements or that it was SMC.
12-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I sort them by Serial there is no apparent ordering logic other than within (by chance) duplicates I have of lenses or.cameras. If I go to an individual lens or camera database several batches of numbers are often apparent.
Also the number of s/n digits is different depending on the item:

I have a rear converter that has a 5 digit s/n, prism/spotmeter/flash that have 6, lenses/cameras that have 7 and flashes that have 8.

Phil.
12-22-2015, 11:33 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Also the number of s/n digits is different depending on the item:

I have a rear converter that has a 5 digit s/n, prism/spotmeter/flash that have 6, lenses/cameras that have 7 and flashes that have 8.

Phil.
In the KX camera database I have three of the four highest numbers. That makes sense, given that my original KX I received in 1977. What's odd is that the next two higher numbers start 500000 higher (84xxxxx vs 89xxxxx) and are separated by 1128. They are the two highest serials in the KX database.

Also, my SV (1962?) has only 6 digits, and all my Limiteds have 7 but are preceded by either 2 or 3 0's. I don't think even Pentax knows.

12-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Certain lenses were marked with a range of serial numbers. For example when I was purchasing my Takumar f1.4 and my Takumar 135mm f2.5 the serial number would tell you whether the lens had a certain number of elements or that it was SMC.
Never heard that one. Just curious, what are the ranges and flags?
12-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the KX camera database I have three of the four highest numbers. That makes sense, given that my original KX I received in 1977. What's odd is that the next two higher numbers start 500000 higher (84xxxxx vs 89xxxxx) and are separated by 1128. They are the two highest serials in the KX database.
Yep that makes sense as my first KX I bought in Dec 1975 is one of the lowest numbers (81xxxxx). Not sure why the s/n ranges jumped around over the production run and if the body colour had anything to do with it.

Phil.
12-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just another charming Pentax curiosity, I guess.
12-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I have 80 or so items in the PF Serial database.

Thanks for the responses, to you and all. We have a PF Serial database here? I'm sorry that I did not know that. I have a number of Pentax items, dating to as far back as 1980 - maybe it would be a good idea for me to list these items in there also. Until this thread, I hardly gave the serial numbers a second thought, to be honest. Now I am thinking it is something I really should record.
12-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the responses, to you and all. We have a PF Serial database here? I'm sorry that I did not know that. I have a number of Pentax items, dating to as far back as 1980 - maybe it would be a good idea for me to list these items in there also. Until this thread, I hardly gave the serial numbers a second thought, to be honest. Now I am thinking it is something I really should record.
Yep add away, it's the only way we can ever figure out how Pentax dealt with s/n assignments for each product!

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

Phil.
12-22-2015, 02:44 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Link to Serial Number Database
1. Search for your item as described on the lens beauty ring
2. Select Item
3. Add New Serial (on the right)
4. Enter your data.

12-22-2015, 03:13 PM   #29

Photos: Albums
I always ask for the serial number if it's not supplied, and a photograph of the serial number as proof.

One time, many, many moons ago, I purchased a lens for a Digital Rebel, a 17-55 f:2.8
This turned out to be a third party copy, and a bad one at that, I sent it in for repairs, and Canon said it was not a genuine product.

It ensures that it's genuine (after contacting the manufacturer).
Can glean info about other lenses in the same range (are there issues... id est. Motor issues, coating issues, contact issues, DOA, et cetera).
Has the lens been refurbished by the manufacturer as stated?
Is the lens stolen?

Et cetera.

Caveat Emptor!!

Cheers
12-22-2015, 04:51 PM   #30

Sometimes the serial number is a good indication on the lens generation if this model went thru several of them. E.g. see the history of the FA* 85 or 31 Lim (the former features different design versions while the latter can me assembled in Vietnam vs made in Japan). Nevertheless, it is a good practice to always declare the serial number for the lens on sale and confirm it with the actual photo - even if the lens design wasn't changed thru the years and the lens has been coming from the only production facility.

Zig